SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hiwthi_gw

Getting things framed at Michael's

HIWTHI
13 years ago

Has anyone had any photo's or posters framed at Michael's? Can you give me an idea of how much they charge per foot. I know it depends on the frame material. If you can give me any idea of their costs I'd appreciate it. I don't want to carry all my stuff to them only to find out they are out of my price range. I do see they have up to 65% on framing and that leads me to believe their regular prices must be through the roof.

Thanks

Comments (57)

• xantippe
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I can't remember how much it cost, but I got something tricky framed at Michael's and was very pleased with the results. It was a poster that had been spray mounted on foam core. Over the years, the poster's corners had gotten really banged up. Michael's very carefully trimmed the poster down (managing to maintain a one millimeter margin) and framed it, still mounted to the foam core since the foam core could not be removed. They did great!

• Related Discussions

Small things that get forgotten, cont'd!...

Q

Comments (4)
    That original thread was great. I went through and made lots of notes! A couple things I have in my "things to remember" files that I don't think are in that thread: - Leaf gutter guards - Outlets for Christmas lights were mentioned, but I don't think anyone mentioned placing them near the staircase for greenery with little white lights. - Include a bread drawer in the kitchen - Plan space for your cookbooks in the kitchen (or pantry) - Place nightstand outlets at the TOP of the nightstand; it's easier to use them for charging phones. - Four plugs on the side of each bed. - Use plywood behind walls that're likely to hold towel bars. And a final thought: If we did everything suggested, it'd double the price of the house. Consider what you'd really use vs. what's just "more".
    ...See More

Framing a print - art.com or Michaels/AC Moore/Hobby Lobby?

Q

Comments (21)
    What a great question, and one we all ask. Being thoroughly disappointed with any kind of "art" you can buy at local chain stores, I started finding prints I love from places you can find ANYTHING you like...like Art.com and FulcrumGallery.com. That's the great benefit in finding art that suits your style. However, I've had mixed results with framing. We recently moved into a new home and I had an entire house of blank walls. After finding just what I wanted at Art.com, I placed a very large order of framed art. I will say that all items, except one, arrived fine. However, it took me 6 weeks to finally get the last picture to arrive without damage (broken frame, smashed glass). It was getting ridiculous. A few months later, I got two more framed prints for my kitchen at Art.com. One was beautiful, the other had minor damage to the mat. It wasn't enough to send back, but I did write to them about their quality control. I never even got a reply or a "we're sorry." As for pricing, I only got my orders through Art.com when they did 50%, but even at that, it was expensive. I decided from then on, I'd just buy the prints online and take them to a local Hobby Lobby or Michaels for framing. I did just that with a huge print I had framed at Michaels for my husband's office. It turned out fantastic and I didn't have to worry about damage or computer monitor colors being off. Bottom line is, I didn't see much of a big price savings by having it framed online, versus my local hobby shops.
    ...See More

Week 34: Jonsing to get outside? Or getting things done inside?

Q

Comments (6)
    Yesterday we started moving the tree top chipping up the "hill" in the back yard and spreading it onto the "mini orchard" to be space. It started to rain big drops so we quit. It rained for the next 8 hours. No rain, some blue skies so after I feed us, back at it. No baby, she's thankfully settled down! Yes, Doug, tons more light. The neighbor across the street too, my trees blocked a fair amount of their morning sun. Pictures coming, real soon.
    ...See More

Random artwork; Michael's framing

Q

Comments (12)
    We supported our local frame shop plenty. Not because I was trying to support them per se (this is capitalism here, yes?) but because I eschewed Michael's and they would not have had what I wanted anyway (curved, burled wood). That shop went out of business. Then I used another local frame shop. They went out of business, too. Not sure where'd I'd go for something very special, but for a placemat, I had no qualms.
    ...See More
  • LuAnn_in_PA
    13 years ago

I get my things custom framed at my locally-owned art supply store.

The owner Lynn's regular prices are LESS than Michael's 50% off price!

• judithn
    13 years ago

It's not Michael's, but of the same ilk -- I had several things framed, original art, at JoAnn. Yes, had the coupon. The price was shocking! And I'm a veteran framer, so shocking for me was really expensive. The girl at the counter was inexperienced. Turned out the cream mats I asked for were a special museum conservation brand, not the regular acid free, and when I made her recalculate the price came down substantially. Still expensive but I thought "what the heck." The framing was done wrong 2x. They send things out at these places, which meant the time line was ridiculous. Weeks and weeks, and they were still not perfect. Anyway, vowing never to do THAT again I went to a local frame shop. The prices were MUCH less than JoAnn, the service people were very experienced, and the atmosphere was much more relaxed. I think those big places get you in with the coupons but aren't offering anything the smaller places can't do better and cheaper.

• westiegirl
    13 years ago

One option I have used in the past is Framefit.com. They were very easy to work with and when I had a question that I couldn't answer with their online ordering system, I called them and they were able to handle all my questions and placed my order over the phone. They were also very good about sending out mat and frame samples, so that I could see them against my art work before placing the order.

They shipped my frame, mats cut and glued together to my specifications and glass. My husband and I had to just do some minor assembly to put everything together at home. We used a cheap roll of brown craft paper and double sided tape to place a dust jacket on the back of the frame when we were done with the assembly. It has been about two years since I last placed an order, but at that time, my frame, glass and triple mat for a 18x20 inch print was just over $100.

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

First, yes, the Michael's you've seen the framing coupons is the very same crafts store you've seen in strip malls -- most all Michaels, JoAnns, ACMoore have custom framing departments in their crafts/fabric stores.

I've had a couple of things framed at Michael's, and I wasn't happy with the quality. Some things had to be redone because even though I explained what I wanted done and how I wanted things spaced, and we measured right before my eyes -- for example, a mat cut to hold 6 individual comic strips -- the measurements were off. I just assumed the guy was fully trained in framing, but I don't think the hiring standards were very high, at least in the store I went to.

I've since switched to a local framing store (called Total Framing in my area of Virginia), and I've been very pleased with the shopowner's work. Sometimes I use an off-the-shelf frame and have them cut a new mat; sometimes it's all custom. Some things are worth custom cuts, other things are just as good framed in an off-the-shelf frame (if the dimensions work).

Concerning posters, this is what I've found to be the most cost-efficient: First, I look in the regular poster frame aisle, to see if there's anything that would look OK, depending on where that poster will be hung (an Art.com copy of a vintage travel poster in the finished basement--I went cheap).

If not, I usually buy the component frame kits (where you buy a set of horizontals and a set of verticals, to get the exact dimensions you need) and either buy an off-the-shelf poster frame just for the acrylic cover or have the store cut me a very thin piece of plexi or acrylic. And the frame store can cut you a piece of foamcore in the dimensions you need.

If you are wanting a mat for the poster, I go for the cheapest mat in the right color. As a previous poster wrote, it's important to be aware of the different price levels of mats, cuz that clearly can drive the price up, and it's not necessarily worth it to go top-shelf for some posters. (For a poster in my powder room, I did get a mat cut, but I paired it with an off-the-shelf poster frame, which didn't look like it came from a dorm room and was on sale because the store was closing. Score! And all put together, it doesn't look cheap.)

It's also impt to ask about the different glass or acrylic options. Plain glass or museum conservation glass? They give the artwork 2 different looks, and the prices are much different.

There is an important benefit to going to a local frame shop: Their long-term experience. Sometimes I've gone in to a Michael's, undecided on what the best frame "look" would be, and my experience has been that they didn't play with the artwork, "auditioning" different mats w/different frames. My local framer loves doing that and on more than one occasion has come up with combinations that I had never imagined and were winners. (But as they say in the world, "your mileage may vary"--you just might find a great framer at Michael's!)

• daisychain01
    13 years ago

I'm a teacher and I just got a quote for a large painting (48x48) my class did - $700 with 60% off coupon. Then I called my local frameshop where I've taken a few things to be professionally framed - $350 without coupon. I'm a poor teacher, so it's not going to get done either way, but I thought the pricing was interesting.

• User
    13 years ago

If they didn't have those coupons, I wonder how many people would actually have things framed there?

I considered ordering a print online once and went there to get an idea how much it would cost to frame. Once you go over a certain size picture (24x24,24x36 - something like that) the cost was crazy. I was looking at the cheapest framing options and I believe they quoted me $4-500 range. Never bought the print.

I'd get some prices from a couple different places. If something was sentimental to me I could swallow the price better but not for a print.

• MCMesprit
    13 years ago

A very timely question for us. We just picked up two fine prints from Michael's that we had framed using one of their 70% off coupons. Framed the prints were both about 35" by 36". Because the prints are signed and of great sentimental value, we wanted the full package -- museum conservation glass, triple matting, etc... We spent over an hour with two of their framers and they were a great help. No... it wasn't cheap. Over $500 for both prints. But the quality is exceptional and well worth the price.

Having said that, I have no doubt that local framers could have done just as well. But our local Michael's exceeded our expectations.

• HIWTHI
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. The prints I want framed are cheapo prints, but they are odd sizes. I usually frame prints that are standard size. Since it appears Michael's is no bargain, even with the coupons, I will go to my local frame shops and see what they have to offer. I may even run an ad in my local Craig's listing and other local forums to see if there are any individuals out there who do framing inexpensively.

Thanks again. If and when I get the print(s) framed, I'll check back in and let you know.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I had my wedding photo framed by Michaels for $35. I took an IKEA poster frame to them and had them custom cut a mat and they did the back up very nicely for me and attached picture hanging wire and stuff.

• leahcate
    12 years ago

ttodd, such a lovely vignette. You put it all together beautifully.
    Here's a trick for inexpensive art or photos( I've done this with calendar art): Find the correct size and look of a cheap framed art piece at Homegoods, etc. Take it home and carefully remove the "art" and replace with your own. Often the fit is not 100% perfect, but good 'nuff for some things, and the price is ridiculous!

• jockewing
    12 years ago

Interesting...

I go to the local Hobby Lobby. They usually do a decent job. Although I just brought an oriental print to be re-matted in a linen mat. They called me a few days before the due date and told me it was being pushed back another week because they had messed up the first mat board they ordered.

I always assumed these places would be cheaper than a local shop, but I'll check one of those out next time.

I have found that even cheap-o prints can come out really nice if properly matted and framed in something nice. Do you all usually go double mat? What about triple mat?

• sashasmommy
    12 years ago

I had three $12 panoramic photos custom double-matted and framed there and it was about $300 (this was more than 10 years ago.) The mats had special corners cut, too. I had planned on giving all three of them to someone as a gift and after I found out how much it was going to cost, two of them stayed with me. I also had a odd sized oil painting framed just a couple years ago and it was more than $250. They did a good job both times, but the frame on the painting cracked after some amount of time, which was strange because it was not in the sun. They helped me pick a new frame and replaced it for free.

What about getting a regular sized frame and then just having them cut a custom mat?

• whitdobe
    12 years ago

The last think I had framed at Michaels was a large oil painting. I picked one of their "masters" frames and it really turned out fabulous. Of course, it also cost me almost $600....and yes, that's after the 50% off!

I love the painting and the frame is perfect but I do have to admit that my priorities have shifted a bit in the last couple of years. I'd never spend that much on a frame now!

• gentryart
    12 years ago

I second the idea of using their metal frame sets-you buy a package of 2 for top and bottom (they come with super easy hardware, all you need is a screwdriver)and then your mat and plexi or glass. I've done it several times for medium sized prints. They can prob. order sizes larger than 24" for posters etc. Cheap, esp. when on 50% sale.

Also, I think Walmart.com has good poster frame prices, check them out.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Thanks Leahcat! Seconding what gentryart said - I buy alot of frames at Wal-mart now.

• mpwdmom
    12 years ago

For ttodd...I've never done that, but I think I might. That's a great way to get a larger piece framed and it's lovely!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I had an original water color framed at Michaels last year and I will never have anything done there again. It was a 25x26 frame, single mat, but with two openings cut in it, one for the painting and one for a key below it. And fillet around both openings, and I opted for the best quality glass. So I expected it to be a little expensive. Without the 50% off it would have been a few dollars short of $800, so my cost was just short of $400. For that, I expected perfection.

What I got was far less than perfect. What they do is measure the picture and send the measurements off for the mats and frames to be made & cut somewhere else. That takes a couple of weeks. Someone messed up and the mat was cut too small, so the framer at the local Michaels "fixed" it by cutting a one-inch piece of mat to sit on top of the messed up mat, by the frame edge. He tried to convince me it looked good, and I started to walk out the door with it, but as I walked out, I knew it would bug me forever, so I made them redo it. So they had to send off for another mat and it took another week to get it.

• hoh2010
    12 years ago

i have a water colored painting framed at Michael's that was 6 years ago and it costed me more than $300, more than the painting itself. But it came out beautifully!

• judithn
    12 years ago

Just want to let everyone know that the things I had framed at JoAnns, with their coupon, started falling off the wall. I went back w/the broken frames and showed the store manager. He said whomever put the little eye screws into the backs of the frames, the screws that hold the wire, wasn't centering them and the frames were splitting. Well, that does it for me. I spent almost $500 on frames, glass, mats, what have you and they're crashing to the floor, shattered glass everywhere? An earlier poster said they send everything out at these big stores and its true, they do. Obviously to a workroom filled with very unskilled people! I will get my money back in some form, but the frames I selected are no longer available, I probably won't be reimbursed for the hours I spent getting these darn things picked out the first time and will not be able to replace the frames in anything close to the same style. I'll never shop for frames at any of the big box stores again.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Regarding the quality of Michaels, each store is different and depends on who is doing the framing.
    I recently had a print custom framed and it came out beautifully, if not cheap- even with the 60% off coupon.
    At the store I used, their framers have been there for years and one of the newer ones used to own a frame shop.
    I was impressed talking to them.

• jerseygirl_1
    12 years ago

A local experienced frame shop is always your best bet and they usually have marvelous suggestions expecially with period art.

• les917
    12 years ago

As someone else suggested, see if you can't find a standard sized frame that will work for the pieces, then have a special mat cut. The mat is cheap (maybe $10-15) and can make a standard frame doable.

I have had some things done at Hobby Lobby, and they did a nice job- but yes, expensive. I now go the mat route whenever I can, and it works wonderfully.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I brought some prints online for a great price and went to three different Michael's to see what they would charge me to frame them with a mat and I was shocked I got back three very high prices that were all different with only one of the stores having someone I felt with real talent. I ended up returning the print and I have two more on order to decide which print I want and how to frame it. I did get one of the prints so far framed online that I loved and I liked the way I added the mat and frame better than Michael's and got a better deal. Art.com paid for the postage back knowing I was buying the picture framed.

I will soon need help with the family room frame since I don't want black like I chose for my home office. I chose three ornate frames I love but I am not sure how they will go with my taupe sofa and bone white walls. When the print arrive, I will share pics.

For the home office, I fell in love with the print and none of the Michael's wanted me to do a linen white mat with a 2nd black mat inside with a black frame. I knew what I wanted and I can't wait for the picture to arrive. I waited 13.5 years to finally put some artwork on the walls downstairs since I was waiting to love something. I do have my black framed licenses on the walls in my home office and two clocks so the room is not empty. Yes, two clocks since I loved both and could not decide which to keep. :)

• gmp3
    12 years ago

I have been able to keep on budget by finding a premade mat, and a premade frame, then having Michael's make an additional mat to go over or under the premade one for a custom look.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I think it must vary by location, especially since they do the work in house (I know they do here because I can watch them working in the back). I do consider myself lucky, but the sister of one of my brother's high school friends works at our nearest Michael's and I think she is the manager of the framing department. My mom discovered her working there years ago and had her block, mount and frame some needlework and then raved about it.

Over the last 10-12 years, she has helped us frame at least 25-30 pieces -- some inexpensive prints, limited edition art prints, original paintings and even one newspaper article and some needlework. It has all been quality work and good values. Some have been pre-made frames, some have been customized (adding mats to a premade, etc.) and many have been custom all the way. I have done them all during 50-60% off sales, and we've spent $10 to maybe $350-400 on one sofa sized picture. Most have been below $200 for the medium to large pieces. That really expensive one is probably the only one I'm not happy with, but DH got to pick the mats and frame for his picture to hang in his office. It wasn't Michael's fault. He got exactly what he wanted and I just don't like that one. ;-)

I'd at least check out the store in your area. If it proves to be like this store, you might be very happy. I know I'm not the only regular customer there.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

If I ever find a print locally and not online, I would go to the one Michael's where I felt the one who showed me what she would do with my picture had talent. I Liked the work she displayed and I helped out customers pick out matting and a frame. The other two places, I was not too impressed by the talent they hired. Also her price was the middle range. I already had played with the print online and knew what I wanted before entering any of the stores. I still may give her store a chance on other pictures since she really had talent.

• blubird
    12 years ago

I've had sticker shock when I've enquired about having pieces I've embroidered framed. I recently decided to learn how to cut my own mats. My A.C. Moore carries the large (32x36?) mat boards for less than $8.00 US minus any coupons and when they had a 60% off sale I bought a mat cutting kit. Since then I've cut my own custom mats and bought ready-made frames in a standard size. It's fun and easy and you get what you want.

Helene

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I also go the route of purchasing standard sized frames (often with either Michaels 40% off coupon or Aaron Brothers 50% off coupon) and having custom cut mats made from pictureframes.com. I've been very happy with all of the mats from pictureframes.com and it is possible to order a full set of swatches free of charge which you can use to select your mat colors. Unless, you feel the need of an expert to advise you on mat selection/colors I find this to be the most economical option.

ttodd: Such a lovely vignette. I have to ask, though, as I often see and admire the hydrangeas in the trophy cup, do you have the single arrangement and use it in staging your vignettes or do you place several around your home? Either way, the effect is just lovely. Aaahhhh.....perfection, why mess with it?

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

My framed picture from Art.com arrived today and I am so happy with the museum quality glass, the picture of the Japanese Maple Tree that is stunning and vibrant, the black sued mat as the 2nd skinny mat and the black 1.5" wide frame I chose BUT I am going back and forth with an opinion from a young neighbor who dresses nice if I should have went with the Crisp White mat and not the Linen Off-white mat. If I had never gone to three Michael's I would have chosen the Crisp White mat but the sales girls pushed me toward creamier mats which I felt were too yellow for my home office room. I loved the Linen Off-white mat on line with the texture and the off-white color that was soft but still very white and I love the texture in person but I just had my heart set on a white mat that was not stark white. I am going to see how I feel and maybe try to post some pictures. My neighbor loves the picture the way I ordered it and loves the frame.

Thanks Valinsv for ideas for my bedroom in framing a small picture.

• txmeggie
    12 years ago

I have had excellent, cheaper work done by online framing web sites. Do a Google search on picture frames and get frames by mail ... options to get backer board, many color single and double mats, to your exact dimensions. Wide selection of frame color, material, size, to fit all budgets

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

My experiences with Michaels have been positive, but it seems every piece I want to frame ends up being $150, even with the coupon. Of course, it doesn't help that I like the higher cost frames.

For posters, see if you can find a pre-made frame. Most of our posters are in our home office, so they do not need a fancy frame.

I'm going to check out a frame shop for an acrylic print we have.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

gsciencechick, I wish my cost would have been $150 at Michaels. I got quotes of $330 for the 18 X 24 print I bought online to $730, $830 & 890 for the bigger 40 X 30 print to mat and frame. Don't forget I live in expensive land Northern NJ.

The store that would have charged $730 I almost used but I changed my mind on the print and I like the frame better online but for a smaller print, I may utilize this talented lady's services. I still like the way I chose to mat a picture I bought rather than the way any of the three salespeople suggested.

• tracey_b
    12 years ago

I, too, bought my own mat cutter. It's pretty easy--just get an instruction booklet. I bought mats and frames during 50% off sales at Hobby Lobby and then I only need the glass cut to fit. The mat cutter paid for itself rather quickly! I've matted more for my sister than myself, though, but that's about to change (in a new house).

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

tracey_b (and others), what color mat do you usually buy and use for your pictures? I am trying to decide if I need white or off-white for my family room that has crisp white lamp shades, crisp white baseboard molding and white spindles going up the steps with an off-white light tan wall (BM Bone White looks tan sometimes and sometimes creamy depending on the light).

• tracey_b
    12 years ago

I used "white" mostly. My sister wanted some of her prints matted in "cream". I like hers better (in comparing the same series of prints we picked up on vacation together). You could go buy cheap, pre-cut mats in the shades you want to test, stick in frame and see how you like it.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

tracey_b, thanks for letting me know. I am finding out from my picture I got framed from Art.com that my family room needs a white mat since the off-white mat turns yellow at night and I wanted white. I am learning so much!

• allthatmatters
    12 years ago

I just happened upon this forum and am very interested in what everyone has had to say. I am a custom framer at Michael's, I'm not trying to promote or solicit, but would be happy to answer any questions about our process and/or materials.

• avesmor
    12 years ago

I had a 44x29 print framed & matted at Michael's, the price was about $278 with a 60% off sale. That was not with a high-end frame selection, but did include 2 mats.

I know the actual frames are done elsewhere, but when mine came in the miters weren't even - gaps. I had also asked them to dry mount it and was charged on the order, but the work was not done. The print was double matted and the cuts were done the way I wanted, but there were little scraps/slivers (2) of mat board material "floating" inside the frame.

When I pointed out the frame quality I was offered a 5% discount. :/ On cost of frame only.

When I pointed out that the print was not dry mounted as I had requested, so it had "bubbles" in it they offered to dry mount it for free but wanted to charge me something like $8 for an assembly fee (taking the thing apart & putting it back together). I got them to agree to do the work they were paid to do and not charge me a fee since it was their fault the work wasn't done in the first place -- and they'd have to disassemble it to get the mat board scraps out anyway.

When I got it back a second time, whomever did the dry mounting did a horrible job and the print was bubbled, like a bad window tinting job. They told me it was permanent so I could deal with it and they would give me a 25% discount (on the dry mount job, which was probably the cheapest part).

I took it to Hobby Lobby and they did a pretty good job of fixing it, and only charged me about $9 IIRC. The fix somehow involved exacto knife slices and adhesive, but I don't know exactly what they did.

I have a business license, and there's a framing supply wholesaler nearby. I've seriously considered investing in a mat cutter, buying frames wholesale (umm they're like $12 wholesale), and just using places like HL/Michael's to buy/cut the glass. Assembly is easy.

I like Michael's and I'm not trying to dog them, but that whole experience was ridiculous. Especially when I can buy a print the size of the one I took in at HomeGoods, framed/matted, for $100. Custom is worth a price, but not custom work with lesser quality.

• Nancy Adamopoulos
    12 years ago

I 'frame' all my own artwork buy purchasing frame kits from American frame or picture frame dot com. It usually runs me less than half of what frame stores charge. I purchased a book on framing and a point driver as well which makes the process go a lot faster. I also use inexpensive brown craft paper as my dust cover. These places will send free samples as well. The frames come preassembled unless they are very large.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Frame

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I priced a frame recently at Michaels, frame only, shadowbox, about 12" x 16" at 60% off and it was still near a hundred.
    I am very happy with the quality of the framing here, but give me a break. That 60% is so gimmicky. No savings.

• tfm1134
    12 years ago

We had something framed a few years ago at Michaels and it was about $200 but we were thrilled with the results

• psz333
    10 years ago

I just recently found this site. I am a custom framer, and while I don't like to be critical of a competitor....you might be pleasantly surprised getting a quote from a local framer the next time you need something framed. The materials I use are the best quality and I have always been quite surprised as to what customers have previously been charged at the big-box store. As do most small frame shops, we can either stock the cheap stuff or the quality. I prefer the quality and my prices always beat Michael's hands-down. I don't need to 'mark up' to offer big discounts. In the end, you'll be charged a fair price.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I've never used Michael's for custom framing, but I'm surprised to hear it's so expensive, even with coupons. I just don't get a high-end vibe from Michael's.

I have used Aaron Brothers with good results, despite a comedy of errors that meant several do-overs and finally they didn't make me pay for it at all.

A couple of years ago I bought my own mat cutter. Pre-cut mats are so limited in size and even a small and simple custom-cut mat will run you $20. The mat cutter has paid for itself many times over.

I really like pictureframes.com. You can order free samples of framestock. Yes, you have to put them together, but it's very easy. I need a large (48x30) framed mirror for my bathroom. I can order a frame online for about $100, take it to my local glass store and have them do a beveled mirror for another $100. Not a bad deal.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

My DD#1 is manager of the frame shop at our local Michaels. She loves doing the framing, and I always ask her what special thing she framed today.

I'm really not sure how the prices stack up. You can go with premade frames, and have them do the mat and mount, or you can go custom, which of course is always more expensive, but they have good sales. Just last week they had 60% off custom framing; this probably means they mark it up fairly high, so I'd always wait until sales.

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

8" x 12" two dollar piece I picked up in Hong Kong: $150 to frame it at Hobby Lobby -- eek! And yes, I used a coupon :(

• User
    10 years ago

Framing with non glare glass and archival quality mats adds significantly to the cost regardless of where the framing is done. If your artwork doesn't need those expensive items make sure they haven't assumed that's what you want.

• caroline94535
    10 years ago

In the past few weeks I've had several old family photos reframed, and/or re-backed with acid-free mats, non-glare glass cut, etc. for (dare I confess? LOL) the gallery wall I'm hanging in my short hallway.

I took FIL's 1946 graduation portrait in to a high-end frame shop to be totally reframed. The girl at the counter "thought" (?) they could frame it. I told her the photo had dust smudges around the edges from the original frame not being sealed properly. She took it out of the damaged frame, bare handed, and started rubbing her grubby fingers on the front of the photo.

I tried my best to not have a raging fit. I took the photo from her, by the edges, (resisting the urge to sharply whack her fingers with the metal ruler laying on the table) and asked if she had cotton "photo" gloves. I asked if she had an acid free eraser. I asked if she had a protective sleeve to keep the photo in until it was framed. I knew right then they were not going to be touching my beloved family pictures.

I went to Hobby Lobby and spoke to the very young, part-time worker at their framing counter. She looked at the photo where I'd set it on the counter. She leaned down, pulled out white cotton gloves from a box full under the table and put them on. Then she touched the picture, lightly wiped the edges with a gum eraser, and said it would be a breeze to clean up, back with foam core, and frame properly with non-glare glass and a sealed back paper. Since the portrait was 8x10, and wasn't being matted, I used a lovely vintage frame I found in near-new condition at a thrift store for $2.

They have a large work shop behind the counter; all matting and framing is done in-store.

I am so pleased with their work. So far they have double matted, backed, and cut frames an aunt's WWII Army photo, a picture of my Mom, and the only photo Wes has of his grandparents together. They've also cut several pieces of non-glare glass and refurbished a couple of frames that needed acid free backing and resealing.

I checked Michael's too, but I was not impressed with how they handled my "test" photo.

The Hobby Lobby here does not have the unending selection of mats and frame stock that the high-end Frame and Art shop does, but they have a very caring, customer service attitude. I am so happy how my rouges' gallery is progressing.

I choose mats to go with each photo, the scenery, or the subject's personality. I know "gallery walls" and "family photos" are not "in fashion" with Pinterest, Houzz, and the décor gurus at large, unless the photos are reprinted in black-and-white with white mats and plain black frames and hung like soldiers on parade. That's just not my look.

I love the old sepia photos in their original, slighted oxidized brass frames, and the newer, brighter photos in the frames that match their style and decade. Mix them all together and it looks like what it is...a mix of generations, styles, and events that form one story. I think when all hung together they look great.

This post was edited by caroline on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 13:14

• viking143
    5 years ago

Most of my framing was done in the 70’s and early 80’s and I am having most all of it updated with acid free materials and conservation or museum glass. Hobby Lobby discontinued accepting the 40% coupon, for example, on glass and I recently went to Michael’s. Michael’s changed out the glass on two large prints. Unfortunately, for me, the two prints faded after 30 years . . . acid free matting was used but the “frosted glass” didn’t protect the print enough.

Michael’s is promoting “Scott Brother’s” framing which includes mounting hardware that requires a level (included) for installation. This hardware isn’t a good idea for those that like to move around their artwork and thus, today, I will bring my pieces back to have the traditional hardware installed.

Museum or conservation glass costs more but is worth every penny if you plan on passing down your art or selling it in the future.