SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vampiressrn_gw

I have a fondness for......

vampiressrn
13 years ago

CAMPAIGN FURNITURE

...I have the cheap imitations though....LOL. I like that dark British tailored look. That just jumped out of a jeep in the savannah and must have a civilized cuppa!!!

Campaign furniture is a type of furniture that was made for travel. Much of it was made for military campaigns and includes folding chairs and chests that could be easily unscrewed and packed. One of the most famous pieces of campaign furniture was the Wellington Chest, named for the 1st Duke of Wellington.

Campaign furniture, designed to be folded up, packed, and carried on the march, has been used by travelling armies since the time of Julius Caesar, and even earlier. With the rise and expansion of the British Empire in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, as British gentlemen came to dominate the army, government and commerce in colonies throughout the world, the finest British furniture makers produced for this new class of traveller some of the most stylish pieces of portable furniture ever made.

British officers of high social position in the Georgian and Victorian periods (1714-1901) took it for granted that when they set out on a military campaign in Africa or India they could enjoy the same standard of living as they did at home. While "under canvas," as life in camp was called, an officer and a gentleman assured himself a high degree of comfort by using specially designed pieces of campaign, or knock-down, furniture.

Parbuckles

CampaignFurniture

BritishCampaignFurniture

Here is a link that might be useful: campaign furniture

Comments (46)

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Let me say that I have really never heard of champaign furniture. How interesting and unusual to have such a fondness for this sort of thing.

My fondness is not as unique as yours, but.

I have a fondness for distressed and weathered old doors, farm tables, leather bound books, Old Paris vases, Chelsea ware, old typewriters, old globes, transferware, geniune fern prints, mercury glass, real windsor chairs, gaundy chandeliers with beaming prisms. I like old maps, especially ones of the South. My cousin just bought one of Alabama and is now having it framed, I want it. Old painted trays, old painted furniture, old heartpine floors restored from a cotton gin or something of that nature. At one time you could buy heartpine floors pretty cheap down here and have them sanded and stained, maybe you still can. But I have a lot of heartpine in my old house but it doesn't look as good as that wood taken out of those old warehouses and refinished and made to look like new.

I like a lot of stuff, I could go on and go but it's late.

Wouldn't this 1912 typewriter look good in a library with tons of leather books?

.....Jane

{{!gwi}}

• vampiressrn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those are really great items you mentioned Jane...I like old typewriters, globes and maps too. They just have such timeless character....I have a few of those items stashed away to display in the right place when it sings out to me. That is an awesome typewriter!!!

• Related Discussions

I guess I have a weakness for.......

Q

Comments (8)
    congratulations... those are both nice finds. i'm surprised that the pink ags are beginning to show up at big box stores. it wasn't that many years ago that they were only available as expensive overseas imports. i too have a weakness for ags. most of mine are green, but i have two pinks - Ayn ya manee and sparkling sarah. i think that house plants are one of the few things where you have no idea what you're going to find until you get there. i think that it makes it sorta fun in a way, but in another way it's bad because it makes you think things like "i better buy this because i might not ever see one again." and then plant collecting addiction sets in :-) cheers, nancy
    ...See More

HAVE: have a few brugs, here's what I am looking for....

Q

Comments (1)
    Where do you live? I have a gold brugmansia that was sold as a red, but it's pretty any way! Have cuttings started for a blue butterfly bush, bleeding heart vine, duranta (white, dark purple, lavender) and we'll see what propogates before our spring plant swap in San Antonio.
    ...See More

Do you have any Roses that you are fond of?

Q

Comments (10)
    Why, hello again, Mike! One of my favourites is Neptune (seen in my avatar), with its delicate mauve shade and lovely deep perfume. I'm also very fond of Marilyn Monroe, with its delightful pale peach colour. Then there's good old Double Delight! Neptune Marilyn Monroe I LOVE this one. Depending on the day or light levels, its colour seems to change from sunset yellow to pale peach to rosy salmon. Just lovely and very underrated IMO. Double Delight This one has a particular scent to my nose, with a soapy note. Actually, it reminds me of rose-scented soap. Othello Splendid colour and deep fruity scent, but alas, the blooms fade and wilt very quickly. Anna's Promise is also very pretty Off topic, but because we don't discuss the magic of lilacs often enough, a picture of my little Wonderblue from last spring: Sigh. I'm dreaming of spring already. =)
    ...See More

I'm a Fond Fan of these Friday Flowers

Q

Comments (16)
    Chilled Orange Sorbet is an interesting one. Looks to be a sculpted. I like the color......As you said, an amazing pattern on Bow Tie Affair.....I like Grandma's Smile. The edge looks particularly crimped, which I like (and of course it's pink).......My Francis Busby pulled through the winter alright. It's not blooming yet for me. I can't quite remember where I put it just now, but I'm sure it will stand out when it does bloom........Maryl
    ...See More
  • ttodd
    13 years ago

Jane - DH found a typwriter very much like that one in our attic tucked up ontop of a false wall (I love a mystrery!). I LOVE that thing and I had exactly the same thoughts as you about it.

Vampiressm - I really like Campaign furniture too - I just love that whole style.

I have quite a fondness for a few things that I never pass up but after seeing that typewriter and remembering mine (still in the attic till the right practical spot presents itself) it reminds me that I have been quietly checking out new/old phones from a few dealers on E-bay.

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

I have a fondness for old cameras and tripods. I'd love to have an office dedicated to decorating with them.

And I just love Audubon prints, but as you can tell by my name, I love birds. :)

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

ttodd that typewriter was on sale at 1st dibs for $550.00 yesterday. Bring it down girl and display it. It would look wonderful in your house.

Bird lover I had this on my computer it was at auction not too long ago here in Alabama, but I didn't go darn it.

{{!gwi}}

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

I say old chap, well done! I have a fondness for the British Colonies style too. And all the things listed so far.

I collect vintage suitcase and boxes. The black one on the top left holds an old typewriter! The Smith typewriter box stores dd old storybooks.

Also vintage cooking pamphlets. I plan on framing them and hanging them in the downstairs kitchen if the remodel ever gets done. 10 taste thrills for husbands. Cracks me up.

I have always been fond of the Ponderosa from Bonanza too. Rustic mixed with Victorian. A big old stone fireplace with a crystal chandelier in the same space. Now that's a visual thrill for me. Thinking about it, there are not many decorating styles I don't like.

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

I have a fondness for all things French, whether *from* France or simply look to be French in origin. Old French linens, bleached white, and starched crisp, old banged-up copper kitchen items, painted candlesticks, anything French Blue, Rochard Limoges, French writing, art(vintage prints as well as oils), birdcages as well as anything bird related, and of course French pastries. It all goes hand-in-hand with my love of Victorian. ;o)

• pps7
    13 years ago

Jane, I love that typewriter. In fact, I'm in the middle of purchasing one from craigslist right now.

• User
    13 years ago

beach cottages, birds especially when on iron wall hangings, sunflowers, art & collectable made by local artisans, shades of apple green.

• vampiressrn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is my (reproduction) Field Phone. Got it many years ago at the Discovery Store. It is in my Egyptian themed Master Bedroom...it has that Campaign Furniture feel to me.

Newdawn...I have my Mom's little black Brownie camera (it is still packed up), but when I find it gonna display it. Those are great cameras.

Deedee...wow...funny how we are all kinda drawn to some of the same things. I love old suitcases and hat boxes too and have some ephemera. Nice collection you have,

Pattycakes...reminds me I would love to have a case full of Limoge boxes...I only have a couple.

Hey...one of everything is the goal...LOL.

• susie100
    13 years ago

I have a fondness for all things English, French, Swedish, Mediterannean in decor. I have a fondness for Greek and Lebanese food. I adore beautiful old, worn, threadbare oriental rugs, timeless lamps, wicker chairs (not Victorian style, though; English country); vintage radios, 1930's & 1940's movies, sci-fi from the 1950's, old wood floors, wide arched doorways, big aged terracotta pots, wrought iron (although back in the day it was called "rod iron" because it was made from iron rods); American flags from different time periods; and now a new one (and thanks a lot!) that field phone---I'm in love.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I have a fondness for Early American, Irish, and English rustic furniture - old pine, primitive painted pieces, etc., especially hutches and farm tables. I also like white ironstone, forged iron, linen, and crystal.

Oh - forgot my favorite. Antique iron beds with chippy paint!

• lee676
    13 years ago

I have a fondness for lots of things, but since many of you seem to be into antiques, how about this Victorian-era laptop computer?

{{!gwi}}

I didn't even know they had computers back then!

• littledog
    13 years ago

"ttodd that typewriter was on sale at 1st dibs for $550.00 yesterday"

Get out. I had a typewriter just like that for over twenty years; all my girls grew up playing with it, and when my oldest and her family moved out of state I gave it to her so my grandchildren could play with it. (and they do)

But then, you can't foster an appreciation of antiques by raising children in a museum. ;^)

• autumngal
    13 years ago

Oh, I love this! I love campaign furniture too, but never had a name for it. I adore all antiques that have some sort of amazing purpose like that. I have a Hoosier that has all sorts of little secret uses, a gate- legged table that goes from small to huge- I love the idea of old, beautifully made things that have many uses that you wouldn't expect. It's just an extra bit of character that I love! Thanks for sharing this vampiressrn!

• PRO
    13 years ago

This thread is so fun! Thanks vamp!
    lea676, I need details. Where the heck did you get that?

• caminnc
    13 years ago

I do enjoy seeing unique antiques but it's extra nice when they are displayed so beautifully as in these pictures below from houzz website.

• vampiressrn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

autumn...I love Hoosiers...I have one stashed away in my garage and whenever I turn that area into a billiard room, I'll get it set up...I miss using it.

Wow that typewriter sure retained its value...$550!!!

lee...that laptop is insane!!! If only they had that beautiful styling today (instead of all the plastic). Love the feet on it and all the gold.

susie...there is a field phone for sale on ebay...LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay field phone

• littledog
    13 years ago

I like that laptop; even if it's not old, it's unique. Actually, I like the whole Steam Punk style...but I do have a Victorian funeral wreath stand, a two eared Mexican jug and a 60's tin dollhouse all in the same room, so my home interior is probably not like most folks. ;^)

Here is a link that might be useful: 17 Steam Punk Computers

• PRO
    13 years ago

I now have a great fondness for Steam Punk Computers. So do dh and dd. Thanks :)

• vampiressrn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh krikee...you folks are killin' me...now I want one of the Steam Punk Computers. I may have to dress up one of my old laptops or my desktop. Those are awesome.

I would so love one of these TVs in my Tiki Lounge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Predicta TV

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Anduze pots.

{{!gwi}}

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Do we have some interesting collectors on here or what? I'll say we do old chap, they broke the mold when they made us. Okay, a slight exaggeration, but pretty darn close in my old leather bound book. (lol)

.....Jane

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• PRO
    13 years ago

You are all going to cause me to blow my "frivolity" budget for the year! The whole family is liking those Predicta TVs.
    ....and Anduze pots and old leather bound books and 1960 tin dollhouses (I had one!) and 1950's sci fi....

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Vampiressrn have you seen the blog called "Trouvais"? She has some C pieces.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• vampiressrn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jane...I didn't see those pieces there so glad you posted them. That is an amazing blog...I could spend some time looking through it all. She definitely has some unique pieces.

kitchendetective...I didn't know anything about the pot you posted so had to look it up...hope you don't mind, but I will include the info on it here so we can learn from it. That one you have posted is gorgeous.

The History of Vases d'Anduze

The first Vases' d 'Anduze appeared in the sixteenth century. During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries these large vases only appeared in the gardens of the french landed gentry, however in the nineteenth century, the wealthy families of the local silk merchants in the Anduze region began planning attractive gardens and adopted the orange tree, which was previously only seen in the royal glasshouses. The orange trees were planted in Anduze vases as the trees would need to be protected from frost in the winter, and brought inside. As a result they quickly became popular throughout the region.

Legend has it that a potter from Anduze in the Cevennes region of southern France was inspired by italian medici vases which he saw at the fair of Beaucaire, these vases where decorated with garlands, fruit and flowers

• mjsee
    13 years ago

Cool tables. My husband jokes that I've never met a table I didn't like. He has BANNED me from buying one unless I can tell him EXACTLY how I plan to use it.

heh.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Found this on the same site. Okay, I have to get ready to go to the movies.

{{!gwi}}

• pps7
    13 years ago

I am now the proud owner of a 1923 Underwood typewriter in excellent condition. I love craigslist. Can wait to put it in my study.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

pps7 you lucky dog, post pictures when you get it the way you like it.

• vampiressrn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How fun!!! Indeed...get that baby properly posed in the study and make us drool. Be sure to let us know which keys stick...LOL.

• lee676
    13 years ago

deedee99, that laptop isn't mine! It was made by electronics enthusiast Datamancer who removed the guts from a plebeian HP laptop and built his own case. Yes, the style is for some reason known as "steampunk", modern electronics that look as if they were made 150 years ago. The laptop looks spectacular on the outside too!

Here's a close-up of the keyboard:

....and the RH side with CD/DVD tray:

There are several people working this same basic style, removing keys from old Underwood typewriters and/or fabricating new keycaps that look like old ones. I can't find any really good pictures, but here are some decent examples:

A Victorian-era ergonomic keyboard:

A Wurlitzer keyboard from the 1940s:

Instructions for fabricating an antique keyboard

Long before I saw any of these, I thought about making an elegant wood case for my desktop PC, along the lines of the TV set I then had in my living room. I'll have to find a picture of that one and post it - one of the last wood-console TVs made, from the early 1990s with a flat tube and integrated glass cabinet and subwoofer. Very different from the wide colonial-looking console TVs from the 1960s, and unique. For some years, it was the nicest piece of furniture I owned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steampunk Workshop

• pps7
    13 years ago

wow, those laptops are amazing.

For my next purchase, I'm looking for a nice old steamer trunk. What features am I looking for? How do I know it's old?

• PRO
    13 years ago

lee, and to think I was drooling over an i pad in the apple store the other day. I have just done a complete 360 and I now consider it dated! I was poking around in my garage and grumbling to myself that my dh still hasn't gotten rid of the little wood framed portable TV from the 60's. I think I'll go give it another look....

• texashottie
    13 years ago

I'm finding kindred souls here on this thread!!

I have African souvenirs in my house and I collect old safari gear. I have a hat that belonged to an old, old man that lived down the street from me when I was a kid; wish I knew where he went with it. I also have two metal binoculars, one still with its worn leather case. It is stamped from Paris. Love this stuff!

• vampiressrn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fabulous texashottie....love those binoculars. Not great pictures, but take a peak at my "Out-Of-Africa" bathroom. Those binoculars would look great in there. I do have one of those hats lost in my garage which needs to be there too.

Here are some close-ups of the Blowgun hanging in my Master Bath. It is authentic and is from Borneo or PNG islands area. You can see the small carving on the dart storage pouch. Made from bamboo, boar hair, twine. About 4 1/2 ft. long. Darts are 7 inches long. Bought it form one of my Tiki friends.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vamp's Out-Of-Africa Bathroom

• PRO
    13 years ago

Great bathroom vamp! Now I am in-to-Africa. dd just got back from a semester in W Africa. The hand dyed fabrics were to die for! Wish she could have brought back bolts of it. texas, do those binocs work? I am an avid bird watcher - would love a a pair. They have a lot more panache than my dull black ones.

• littledog
    13 years ago

Texashottie, nice vignette. (I've wanted one for years, but now I'm convinced I need a Pith Helmet!)

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

This car!

{{!gwi}}

• texashottie
    13 years ago

Vamp, what a fun bathroom!! I like it! I can't see your other pics though...

Deedee, thanks, and yes, those binocs do work. ;) Love the fabrics too and all the beadwork and basketry. And woodcarving. Seems like they do everything in Africa. Rugs, metalwork, leatherwork, etc. Yum!

Thanks, littledog!

Cute car, newdawn.

• vampiressrn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That car is cute and looks like it has some vintage luggage in the back too. :-)

(links are broken above) Here are some close-ups of the Blowgun hanging in my Master Bath. It is authentic and is from Borneo or PNG islands area. You can see the small carving on the dart storage pouch. Made from bamboo, boar hair, twine. About 4 1/2 ft. long. Darts are 7 inches long. Bought it from one of my Tiki friends. Needless to say...not the usual decor item...LOL.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Vamp I would love to see pictures of your house one of these days. Any chance? Some people are funny about doing that, however.

....Jane

• vampiressrn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not a problem Jane...I am trying to post rooms as I get them done. I have just a little more work to do in my Egyptian Master Bedroom before I can post. I will try to post my Laundry Room today...it is 95% complete. In the meantime, here is a light from my Master Bedroom (not my picture, but someone else that has this light and did a great job of staging it in a Bar setting.)

I am fond of Monkeys and Leopard Print...not that they have to be together, but they often are. I especially love Monkeys wearing Fezes...LOL. I have several Monkey items, but this one really has a cute personality.

• PRO
    13 years ago

I have a contractor driving me crazy. Where's a blow gun when you need one? At vamps house! lol They are amazing!
    I got an extremely cheap shopping thrill at the antique store last week. Added to my vintage yardstick and ruler collection. It all started when PO left one in the the house and then dh found another from a now defunct greenhouse in that was in our town decades ago. I found 3 for $7.50!
    A picture from my humble office/dressing room. Looking at the pic I am realizing the lamp and curtains are "almost" vintage.

• vampiressrn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like your collection deedee...that is cool.

I also have always had an affinity for coffee table books. Pottery Barn sometimes has some great ones. I get most of my books off of Amazon. Since I like Tiki, I have a ton of Tiki books, but lots of other nice ones too. Just today I got this one:

FRENCH ISLAND ELEGANCE (beautiful book)

OTHER BOOKS I have...