SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_williams_gw

Combining living area and dining area?

dave_williams
9 years ago

I just moved into a new 1 bedroom apartment. I like to have dinner parties with around 10 guests. Over the course of the evening we cook, eat dinner, talk, drink, sing karaoke, etc. I am trying to decide how to arrange my living area to create the best space/atmosphere for these parties.

Here is the empty apartment:

Full size images:

http://imgur.com/a/NmMF9

As you can see, there is a hanging lamp in front of the kitchen, where a small dining table would typically go, but I would need a big dining table since I like to have many guests.

Here are some options I see:

(a) Put a large dining table in front of the kitchen, so that when you walk in the front door you are facing the dining table. Use the living area near the window for sofa/lounge area, etc.
(b) Put a dining table near the window
(c) Have the area near the window be a combined living/dining area, with a low coffee table, and sofa/chairs around it.
(d) Something totally different, like putting my bed in the main living area and using the bedroom for socializing. If I could make this work, it's not out of the question since I'm not that privacy conscious.

By the way, it would be nice if I could use the area below the hanging lamp as extra counter space for cooking.

Here are some pics of my previous apartment:

http://imgur.com/a/OKWb3

The coffee table also served as the dining table, with some people sitting on the couch and some sitting on chairs around the table. Ergonomically, the coffee table is not that great for dining, but I liked how I only needed one space for socializing and dining. We didn't have to move between sofa and table when it came time to eat, which seemed to create seamless transitions between activities.

Wondering what folks here think of this type of arrangement.

This post was edited by dave_williams on Thu, May 29, 14 at 22:39

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022