SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Avert your eyes - this is a bathroom post

mtnrdredux_gw
13 years ago

I apologize for using Kitchens for this. But there is just not enough, uhh, throughput in the Bathroom forum. There are two measly posts there so far today!

So, I need design input. This is for a bathroom for the pool. It has a toilet, a vintage wall sink with taps, and a shower stall with a plain (light green vintage hue) glass splash guard. The BR is about 6.5' sq. Except for a little niche for the sink, it will all be tiled. Almost like a wetroom. There is a solid door, a 30x20 window, and a glass french door.

My concept in the bath is to use very simple (read cheap) white tile, and a concrete floor (sort of a sandy color, with some sand in it for traction) ... evoking a pool locker room.

For a little fun, I came across commercial depth markers and "no diving signs". I am putting depth markers that say "5 FT" at 5 ft, in a few places. I am putting a 12x12 no diving symbol on the floor of the shower, in the cement. The diving symbol has a vintage look, as does the sink, as does much of my 1904 home. An example of the depth marker is below (mine is smaller).

Question: What should the field tile look like? I want white, but I am trying to decide between a 4.25" sq glazed white, that is very bright and kind of has a hand made. slightly wavy, uneven look. I was all set to order it when I decided it may be too bright and glossy.

So I am now thinking a 2x1 unglazed white mosaic instead.

I want the tile to evoke a locker room, which to me is larger tile (cinder block in fact). But maybe the depth markers should evoke pool tile, which makes me think of chicklets. Then again, too many grout lines, too busy?

TIA for any insight.

Here is a link that might be useful: The style is the second one down, but smaller

Comments (15)