SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

March Quilting/Sewing Goals

I know I said I wasn't doing this again, but I need the list to go by. Seems like I'm all disconbobulated and can't find my way without direction. So, here it is:

Mail BD Blocks

Make more BD swap blocks - 12/5 done

Chocolate Stars BOM 12/4 done

Finish QSF BOM

Cut sashing and cornerstones

Finish Wall Hanging Challenge top

Work on Uncle JÂs Tie Quilt

Backing on quilt top for Haiti

Backing on Aunt Marty's quilt

SharonG/FL

Comments (41)

• deannabsd
    14 years ago

Finish two graduation quilts that a friend and I are working on together. Also to try to learn a little more crochet to make sleeping mat for Haiti.

Oh, maybe a pillow case or two towards the pillowcase project. Then it should be spring and time to be outdoors.

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Birthday blocks
    Wall hanging challenge
    Get machine sent for service
    Find snips and finish rag quilt

beverly

• Related Discussions

January Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (34)
    Winter weather is condusive to lots of quilting - too cold to be outside! I feel good about what I've done this month, but I'm sure to slough off once it gets nice out.So far, have all BB done Jan - Apr, Galaxy Stars done thro Sept BEST FRIENDS DONE THRU MAY; PATCHWORK PINES DONE THRU MARCH -2 Jan/Feb applique blocks done, need to mail MAILED -Jan lotto blocks,3 - done & mailed -13 blocks done of red/white stars (this uses up some leftover strips I've had for nearly 2yrs - yea!) FINISHED,QUILTED,BOUND,NOW ON END OF GUEST BED -wanted to make Val wallhanging, but when...? 1 SMALL DONE & HANGING IN KITCHEN; 1 LG ONE WAITING TO PUT ON THE LONGARM -need to bind & label baby quilt before Feb 9 OOPS:( -need to start & finish another baby qlt before Feb 17 OOPS AGAIN:( -finish selecting fabrics for a log cabin. 4 of my sewing friends & I are all making one from Judy Martin's last book we meet 1-2/wk & sew together ONE FRIEND IS IN FLA UNTIL MAR, WE DECIDED TO WAIT ON HER TO RETURN -my big goal for 2010 is to finish up as many WIPs as possible. I have nearly 30 projects started from previous classes where I helped students & didn't finish my own; & then had to move on to the next class & the same thing happened all over again! fortunately I had the sense to put all fabrics together to finish, borders, binding... BEGAN WORKING ON ONE, BUT THEN SLIPPED & STARTED A NEW ONE (COULDN'T HELP IT; SOME NEW FABRIC FROM MY LAST TRIP TO TENN WAS CALLING OUT TO ME!!) ~cindy
    ...See More

February 2014 quilting/sewing goals

Q

Comments (43)
    Looks like this blue and white double four-patch ain't gonna be done this month. I decided to machine tack it using the eyelet decorative stitch on the machine. It's coming along but it won't be bound by the 28th. I'm going to blame it on the short month. LOL! I am having a problem with the eyelet stitch sometimes not being perfectly round on all of them, but I'm not going to obsess over it or do something insane like rip them out and do them over again. I've tried different things to make it stop doing that but it's intermittent. I thought at first that it was the quilt being too taught under the foot and bunched it up and pulled the quilt up around the machine but that wasn't it. I also increased the foot pressure but that didn't help. So I'm just dealing with it. I've decided to use a pillow ticking binding on it, (blue and white) to go with the blue denim and white muslin I've used in the quilt.
    ...See More

April 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (21)
    My goal this month is to finish "big red" and get it off to the LAQ. It's raining today, so I'm going to try to get it done. Then I have to put sashing and borders on a first anniversary quilt for my friend and her wife. They have been a devoted couple for 25 years and were finally able to marry last year. Their wedding color was purple, so this quilt has Hawaiian floral patterned 10"x10" squares with purple sashing and a beautiful purple batik backing. Oh, and the April lotto block. All that, along with spring yard and boat work, should keep me busy in the time remaining in April.
    ...See More

March, 2017 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (8)
    Tennessee came in like a lion with all the bad storms yesterday. I am thankful for the warmer weather :-) I have my Sewn Seeds quilt on the long arm. I hope I can get started on that?? I also have 2 t-shirt quilts I need to get started on. I've not made one of them before, so I'll be back with advice on that! I'd like to get them laid out so I can get the stabilizer on them. I don't think it will take long if I can just get started on it. I do have a cute story to share..... There is a young guy (28) that exercises with us (community gym) in the mornings. He has a 1 yr old little boy and wanted to create a daddy-style "tactical" fanny pack to replace the diaper bag when they go out. I got him started on how to create a pattern and basic cutting and sewing techniques. I want you to know, he has taken off on this and you wouldn't believe how well he's done!!! He even bought his own sewing machine and dreams of sewing in his sleep!! He commented the other day that he wanted to stay home from work and sew! My boyfriend commented that he hears that from me all the time :-)
    ...See More
  • geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Almost mid-month update.....even though I've been laid up for a week.

Mail BD Blocks - In the process
    Make more BD swap blocks - One more for a total of 6 done.
    Chocolate Stars BOM 12/4 done - Thinking about it.
    Finish QSF BOM - All blocks made
    Cut sashing & cornerstones-All sashing & cornerstones cut
    Finish Wall Hanging Challenge top- getting ready to applique
    Backing on quilt top for Haiti
    Backing on Aunt Marty's quilt

I think I put too much on my list.

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Wallhanging challenge
    March BOM applique
    various stops and starts on baby quilts
    Maybe a panel for GD room

• msmeow
    14 years ago

I've challenged myself this year to make 2 mini quilts each month - one for my guild auction and one for AAQI. I got behind in Jan. and didn't finish those two till the end of Feb., then I decided to keep one and my sister wanted the other! I got 2 made at the beginning of March that were the Feb. ones, and one more Jan. one, so for this month I need to make 2 minis for March and one more for Jan. I just started cutting pieces for all 3 of them yesterday.

If I have time after the minis are done, I have a donation top waiting to be quilted, and about 3 dozen other projects either started or purchased and waiting for me to get to them.

:D Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

TG Linda, "various stops and starts on baby quilts" LOLOLOL....I don't have a problem with this. @:)

Donna, What size do you consider a mini quilt?

deannabsd, How are you coming on the graduation quilts? Great idea to crochet sleeping mats for Haiti! Are you using 2 strands of yarn? Single/double crochet?

Beverly, You can snip, snip when your machine has gone to the clinic. lol

Sharon

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Sharon, they are different sizes. The ones for AAQI need to be around 9 X 12 so they will fit in a Priority Mail envelope. Most of mine are 8 x 8 or 9 x 9. The ones for the guild auction can be up to 30" square, so I've been making those a bit bigger...mostly around 18" square.

Donna

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Donna, I haven't made any minis for the guild, but I'm planning too. I've never done a mini before!

This month I'm working on...
    - the April BOM
    - 2 or 3 lotto blocks
    - getting a month or so ahead on the birthday blocks
    - getting the 'quit as you go' a little further along
    - CLEANING UP THE SEWING ROOM (LOL-I think I say this every month!)
    - work on the blue/white star quilt as soon as I get the sashing fabric I ordered this morning
    - start a quilt for Quilts of Valor Foundation

Kate

• lindaoh_gw
    14 years ago

I am working on another jelly roll quilt. This one is a log cabin with stars where the blocks are joined.
    I also agreed to make something for the monthly mini at guild for December. I found a table runner pattern online and it uses 3 fat quarters. I have selected the fabric and want to make it this month. So, I only have 2 goals for this month...

...finish jelly roll quilt
    ...make table runner for quilt guild

Linda

• deannabsd
    14 years ago

I have run into a snag waiting for my last 24 inches of black fabric but should be in next week. My girl friend and I are making two quilts and we like to use the quilted fabric for the back and finding trouble finding that as well---we have become lazy and just eliminate one step (batting)!! We have two months left but had hoped to get them done this month.

As for my crochet-I have done four rows and they are from t-shirts that you cut into strips and I am not really sure if they are single or double crochet--a friend got me started and I just kept going until I ran out of the first shirt!! Hope to get started again. I have been watching a lot of basketball as we have a neighbor that plays for the gophers and also a girl from yankton that plays for the SDSU Jackrabbit women who will be heading for the NCAA tourney!!!

How are all of you doing? Deanna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donna, Do you have pictures of your mini's? I'd like to see them.

Kate, I'm a few months ahead on the BD blocks, but I'd feel much better if they were all done. I'm leaving a link to a red/white/blue I ran across awhile ago. I really want to make this!

LindaOH, What do you think?....I'm thinking this r/w/b quilt would look good with the star cornerstones.

Deanna, Wow, never thought about using the already quilted fabric for backing. Will have to try that. Do you buy it by the bolt? We've been watching a lot of bsktball, too. Are they starting the bracket thing tonight? I've been disappointed in the Florida teams....except for the Bulls, and I couldn't be happier for them!

Keep on sewing girlfriends......I've been able to sew 30-45 minutes a day, so that's a big wooohooo in my book! Want to work on some applique today.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Stars Galore

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Birthday blocks (March done, working on April)
    Wall hanging challenge (about 1/2 done)
    Get machine sent for service (waiting to hear from them)
    Find snips and finish rag quilt (gave up, gonna order more)

Linda, is this for the "Sparkle" GD? I'm sure it will be wonderful.

beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Sharon - I saw that Stars Galore quilt- simply beautiful- is that going to be a Sew Along?
    I want to see Mini pics also!!

So far for March - I finished the 12 14" stepping stones blocks for my BOM - PP
    (yea! I disliked this part of the project) I copied & cut the pattern for the next PP block & I think selected the fabrics.
    I played with the Accuquilt Go - I got it for 40% - a B'day coupon my Pfaff dealer gives for belonging to the Pfaff club. I bought it after I fussy cut 156 2.5" for the stepping stones blocks.
    I made June's block for the Lotto (my pick-wanted to make sure it was simple)
    I read most of a book by Sally Collins about sharpening your skills and techniques for precision piecing - good book.
    I made March's B'day Block - hope to mail it Monday. I would like to get April's B'day block completed.
    I shopped & bought fabric for a Quilt of Valor after reading Kate's post. It is washed - not pressed yet. Considering a DNP - since I have never made one. I'd like to be able to use my Accuquilt Go again - see if I like it.
    I demo'd a midarm on a quilting frame (yikes!) I want one!!!
    I put up a shelf where I sew & straightened up a bit - can't tell, but I can see my cutting table again :)
    Listing this, makes me feel productive, because I didn't feel like I got much accomplished.

• lindaoh_gw
    14 years ago

Sharon, I think your R/W/B would look great with star cornerstones. I finished the top tonight. My jelly roll colors are red, white, blue, green,and gold.
    I will post a link to a picture of the pattern. I will get pictures of my quilt this week.
    Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Log Cabin Hidden Stars

• Robbi D.
    14 years ago

I'm doing pretty well so far. I'm very close to finishing my BA applique block (I'll post a pic when I'm done). I need to start figuring out what is next. I finished my 2 lotto blocks and will mail them today. I played around with my machine on Sunday trying to figure out the quilting and walking feet. I've not used them before and wanted to practice a little. That quilting foot needs some getting used to! I have a class the end of the month, so hopefully I'll be more comfortable with them to quilt my son's quilt (all pinned and ready to go).

Lind OH, I love that Log Cabin hidden stars quilt. I'll have to add that one to my "to do" list :-)

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I love those cornerstone stars!

Well, I had a BIG sewing weekend. We decided to move the exercise equipment out of the sewing room and into a second spare bedroom area of the house we hardly ever used as a guest room. (DH uses the equipment almost daily and I think he was tired of trying to share what had become a very congested room with all my sewing stuff.) Those simple ideas snowballed and so by Sunday evening we had rearranged the sewing room (which is now the second guest room too), the exercise area (not a spot I visit very often!), and our office. We have more room in each spot for the things we do often and it ended up with DH and I each having a room we can call our own. After 34 years I think we've earned it! LOL

I'm excited because I now have room to keep the cutting table open, I was able to move the ironing board next to the sewing table AND I have more accessible storage for fabric. Plus, I gained a comfy sofa/futon where I can sit and do hand sewing or just lounge with the cats & dog or watch TV. When Jim is traveling for business I suspect I'll practically live in this room! I was able to move the old treadle machine into the room too, where it now sits in a place of honor in front of the window (with a cat quilt on top so the kids have a space to sleep in the sun).

Of course, with my new, relatively uncluttered sewing room I HAD to do some sewing too so I did the lotto blocks, a few more blocks for the Quilt as You Go project and started on the valor quilt.

I set up one shelf in the room for Projects I Want to Start Soon, with the fabric where I can easily see it and not forget! On this shelf went the Mt. Fuji scene fabric that I plan to use for a big tote bag and the Retro 1950's Cherry fabrics I plan to use for a lined casserole carrier.

WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Here are the ones I've completed so far this year.

For AAQI:

For my bathroom when we finish remodeling:

For the guild:

This one was supposed to be for the guild, but my sister really, really liked it so I sent it to her:

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Donna, Do I understand correctly? These are like the size of a potholder up to 18"? These are beautiful - and I love the one you sent your sister.
    What does AAQI stand for?
    Thanks for posting these pictures.

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Yes, they are small! The top 2 are 8 or 9" square. AAQI is the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. They auction donated "Priority Alzheimer's" quilts each month. They need to be small enough to fit in a Priority Mail envelope.

The third one is about 11" square.

The one for my guild is 19" square, I think. 3" blocks.

And the one on the bottom is 18" square. It's a kit from George Siciliano that I started in a class with him. Also 3" blocks (except for the elongated border ones). And there are 37 pieces in each block!

Donna

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Donna, they are amazing! Do you make them exactly like a regular sized quilt, with backing and batting and quilting? For the guild is it OK to embellish them with beads?

Kate

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Yeah, Kate - I usually make them just like a bigger quilt. Sometimes I birth them instead of binding them.

I think for the guild any embellishments would be great! I was just thinking of adding buttons on some of mine. Go for it! :)

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Donna, Oh Wow!
    I looked at the website AAQI (link below if anyone is interested).
    Where do you get the patterns? So these are a just like a regular quilt but a teeny miniature version?
    Another good charity - thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: AAQI

• msmeow
    14 years ago

The stars are blocks from a Carol Doak book. The bottom one is a George Siciliano pattern, and the 9 patch & crosses are from a book called Traditional Mini Quilts. There are 11 patterns in the book, so my goal for this year is to make 2 of each pattern - one for AAQI and one for my guild. (I stole the idea of making every pattern in the book from a friend in the guild, and she stole it from the movie Julie & Julia!)

But you can use any pattern, just make little blocks! :)

D

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donna, What a neat idea stolen from Julie & Julia! I should get out whatever miniature mags/books I still have and see what's in them......

Kate, You have got to be excited about having your own space!

Lafonda, Good for you.....taking a quilting class!

Deanna, Did the black fabric come in?

Mago, A lot of variations for the D9P. I'm sure your QOV will look fantastic!

Beverly, It's a wonder you get any sewing done with everything else that's going on.

Well, ladies, This whole month has been basically a washout for me and it isn't looking to promising for me to get much more done this month.....Too bad for my Wallhanging Challenge....I was going to try and do it Quilt As You Go. Maybe I can get at least one square done....we'll see.

Sharon

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Well, I got them done!

For AAQI (9" square):

And for the guild (19" square):

These also have 3" blocks, and they were a trial! Some really teeny pieces and thick seams.

Donna

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Have finished my wallhanging challenge (to be posted at end of March), one baby quilt top and the panel top. Will quilt it when "Sparkle" GD approves. It's very girly.

BOM challenge still in progress. Might miss my deadline as the local quilt show brought many other ideas into my designing head. Hard to think with all that fabric floating around in my brain.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

TG/Linda, You can go ahead and post your challenge picture now. No reason to wait unless you want to.

Donna, Your minatures are pretty.

I know I won't be able to get my challenge done, but the 4 blocks are sandwiched and ready to machine applique.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Post Seasonal Challenge thread

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Sharon, Photobucket isn't speaking to me right now so I'll post it whenever things get better.

• polardream
    14 years ago

WOW - March is almost over & I missed this post - of course spring break, getting bronchitis, and snow days added to not being online much!

Donna, your mini quilts are amazing! very impressive!

I have reevaluated February goals & am now more realistic!
    1. Queensize UFO wedding quilt - borders & applique done - finish the quilting - I started & it is turning out so nice - I am really excited!!! Binding is cut & ready to attach when the quilting is finished. If I can finish this by Easter I will be a happy quilter!

Sue/polardream

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sue, No problem......I believe family and health come before any kind of quilting goals or challenges that are put up. You still have a week til Easter, so you'll probably get it finished......or really really close. @:)

SharonG/FL.......still stitchin' chickens

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Donna, those are fabulous! You have been so very busy.

Sharon, it has gotten worse, I'll e-mail.

Birthday blocks (March done, working on April)
    Wall hanging challenge (DONE)
    Get machine sent for service (waiting to hear from them)
    Find snips and finish rag quilt (Almost done)

Extras:
    Baby quilt finished
    Another quilt (the last one from Sharon) loaded in the frame
    6 Blocks each for QOV and Project Linus on another forum

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

March is winding down....everyone take a deep breath cause April will soon be here and we can start with a clean slate.
    Here's my update:

Mail BD Blocks - DONE
    Make more BD swap blocks - have 6 done
    Chocolate Stars BOM have 5 done
    Finish QSF BOM - DONE and is now a top
    Finish Wall Hanging Challenge top - 3 blocks done
    Backing on quilt top for Haiti - DONE
    Backing on Aunt Marty's quilt - carry over to April

One of my goals for the year is to complete (or find a home for) at least one UFO quilt top a month. I'm ahead of schedule as I've completed 3 and have found good homes for 2....puts a smile on my face. @:)

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I am in awe of the miniatures! Wow ~~~ ms meow - I imagine these take much patience and a steady hand to work on these.

I just reread my March 14th post - didn't even think I posted in March goals- good thing, because I was thinking I did not accomplish goals - but I did way more sewing than I thought I did! Yippee -

In addition I also:
    Made April's B'day block - need to mail.
    I made 2 D9P Tops (is that the correct reference?):
    Qof V - needs border - I found an appropriate, soft backing - bought it and got it washed.
    The other D9P for a little girl (great niece) also needs border.

I see why the D9P are the go - to for fast tops. I spent more time shopping for the fabric than actual sewing. I also used both these 'oh so easy tops' to use the tips I read in Sally Collins' book on Precision Piecing - the simplicity and basic D9P are perfect to practice her techniques & tips and establish good habits for perfect matching and points. Yes - perfection is always a goal for me - makes me happy :)

I really want to explore the different layouts (Sharon - a long time ago, I bookmarked your Butterfly D9P before I 'knew' you - I was cleaning up my bookmarks /computer and opened your pic & album & thought this all looks familiar ~LOL~ and it was yours!! I said outloud "I know her!!!! DH is saying Who? what are you talking about???)

I still have tomorrow to make March's BOM -PP .....maybe - I have 2 sections made, if not - it is like housework it will wait for me~LOL

• msmeow
    14 years ago

I finished one more mini quilt which catches me up with 3 each for AAQI and my guild:

Saturday I'm planning to start quilting a donation quilt I've had in the closet for a long time...didn't want to get it out with construction dust from the BR floating around, but the BR is officially finished now so I don't have any more excuses! :)

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

So how small are the flower pieces?
    Really pretty!

• polardream
    14 years ago

I can't even begin to tell you how frustrated I am! The queen quilt I'm working on has come to an ABRUPT HALT! My beloved Pfaff has stopped sticthing ... actually it sticthes, they just don't stay together. Tensions are off and as much as I love my machine, it is not an easy thing to adjust (imho). Dropped it off at the dealer today and it will be at least 2 weeks before they will get it back to me! so much for those March goals .... And I have Friday & Monday off from work! maybe a shopping trip for a second machine is in order???
    Sue/polardream

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Oh no, Sue! I would be lost without my machine for 2 weeks. I'm so sorry!

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sue, That's a definite sign you need a second machine! Get going girl! You'd think the dealers would have machines to use while they are making repairs. Maybe we should contact Enterprise to add rental sewing machines to their stock.

Sharon

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Sue, that's just one more argument for another machine. You might also want to get a treadle while you're at it in case of power failures.

My goals went to pot altogether but I do have a nice pergola built outside with just a few rafters to go. I also have more posts to put in for the footbridge. But, other than that, not much going on.

My BOM is about half done and I have a little panel I'll be turning into a wallhanging now that GD has blessed it. But, my April goals will have to include a "poodle skirt". She wants a half slip like we wore years ago to hold out our skirts. Can't even remember what we called them. So, my goals change from day to day. Life is never dull.

Looking forward to April, Sharon.

• lindaoh_gw
    14 years ago

2 goals for this month...

...finish jelly roll quilt -- DONE
    ...make table runner for quilt guild--- DONE

I also made the table runner for April, quilted the jelly roll quilt, and quilted 4 table runners.

Linda OH

• polardream
    14 years ago

Linda, sounds like you have a nice addition even if it isn't a quilt! poodle skirt & a crinoline! how fun.

Think I'll skip the treadle ... but I agree Sharon, you would think our machine dealers would have rentals ... If I start to look for a second machine I don't even know where to begin! (Something with loads fewer bells & whistles)

I did manage to scrapbook 12 pages tonight since no machine so all was not lost!
    Happy sewing,
    Sue