SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caitlinmagner

Review of my kitchen after 3 months

10 years ago

Having spent the last three months living and cooking in my new kitchen, I'm still thrilled. Is everything perfect? No, of course not. But the feeling that if I could do it over again I'd change "x" isn't that horrible feeling of regret I had feared. It just...is.

So, the great:

I love my layout. Super functional and easy to get around.

Quartz countertops - the Dreamy Marfil really is dreamy and cleans up beautifully.

Counter height custom wood table - really debated having a counter height table - now I love it! The wood is very durable and takes a beating. Cleans up great with a damp rag.

Shaws farmhouse sink - it's beautiful, it's functional, it's big. I have a love/hate with the sink grate (optional) but I do like having the dirty dishes up off the sink bottom

Rohl Cinquanta extended faucet. Long enough that the faucet stream goes straight down the drain. Beautiful and functional. Love the side spray less - it's heavy, the button is touchy, and it gets HOT when you are spraying with hot water.

Bosch 600 series dishwasher - I love the way this cleans. I love the 3rd row silverware tray. I do not love the way the bottom rack fall off the track every single time you pull it all the way out - which you need to do to fit large plates in the last row. Still, not sure if it's enough to make me change my mind on this. I've learned to finesse it.

Subzero 48 inch side by side. I couldn't love this thing more if it told me I was beautiful and skinny and to eat everything in it. Full with a week's worth of groceries it is never crammed, wonderful adjustable shelves that are easy to clean. Super sturdy soft close drawers. Interior water and ice dispenser. The freezer has drawers that keep everything organized. It's beautiful and I'm in love.

GE Monogram 36 inch DF range. Hmmmmmm....had the hardest time deciding on a range. Read so much here about BTUs and open burners vs. closed. Salesman told me this was a great choice. In general, it's good. HUGE pet peeve: all of the burners are the same size. Meaning all of the caps (the sealed part, I guess) are the same size and that size is big. Every single one is 4 inches across, which to me means that there is 4 inches on the bottom of every pot or pan that is not getting even heat. This is evidenced by every boiling liquid having a rapid boil around the edges and not moving in the middle. This is annoying. I might even say I hate it.

The oven is wonderful HUGE! Heats evenly and is a pleasure to bake in.

GE Monogram Hood Insert - this thing is LOUD! Super loud! But it does get the job done. I have gone so far as to smoke a cigarette under it after a couple of cocktails (naughty) and not a whiff was left behind. The buttons are annoying - if you hit the "-" button to take it down to the lowest level but go one too far, it takes you back to the highest (jet engine) level. When you turn it off, there is a clunking sound, like the baffles falling back into place. But, it works so I'm happy about that.

Sharp microwave drawer - I never thought about the fact that this does not have a turntable. Every microwave I've ever had has a turntable. I took that for granted. You know what? Turntables serve a purpose and I wish this one had a turntable. The presets are also unnecessarily complicated and I really prefer a 30 second button to this one's 1 minute button.

Warming drawer - thought I would love this more than I do. Part operator error, I don't think I turn this on soon enough to preheat it. Also, with the paneled version, the switches are on the inside and there is no exterior indicator that it is on. Seems to get the plates super hot but the food not so much. Need to play with it more.

Brew Express coffee maker - I love this! Fits in the appliance garage next to the vitamix and is tied into the water line. There is a lot of joy to be had in putting in your coffee and pushing a button to brew.

I think that's about it. I've linked back to my reveal in case you want to take a look at what I'm talking about. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitchen reveal

This post was edited by Kitten1313 on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 22:33

Comments (9)