SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Re-thinking butcherblock and marble

13 years ago

Now, that I'm planning on having turquoise/blue walls in the kitchen, with creamy white cabinets and trim...I'm re-thinking the possibility of butcher block countertops. I do like the way they look, but I've been worried about the upkeep.

I know many of you have assured me that they are not that difficult...but I just want to check one more time. Do you have to use Waterlox, by a sink? Can you really keep them looking nice, even with DH, his friends, nieces and nephews, etc...although I'm not a constant cleaner, either! LOL

Also, if I do a two level island (still thinking about this) I'd love to have marble or a granite that looks like marble, on the work area, with butcher block for the stools. I like the idea of marble, but I'm concerned about the maintenance with this, too. Would granite be easier...also, can you set hot pans on all granites, or just some types?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments (30)

• 13 years ago

You can usually put a hot pot on granite with no problem. Every once in awhile you hear about the granite cracking. One of the tradesmen I know, who has done hundreds of kitchens, says that that's an installation issue, and not expansion and fissures, but I don't know...

This is an easily solved problem! When they cut out the hole(s) for your sink(s), and if they have any left overs, get them to make you some trivets out of your stone. Some people call these "cutting boards" but they'll kill your knives. They're really meant to be trivets that don't look like clutter because they blend right into the counter.

As far as maintenance of wood and marble, it depends on how much you want it to look "like new", how much you like a lived in patina, and how much toleration you have for people who come in and make a stain which may or may not come out with a lot of work.

I couldn't do it. The guy who did all the marble experiments convinced me I couldn't do it when he showed the little divots that hitting it with a table knife did. I said it would make me nuts if my brother could dent it by banging it with a butter knife and he said that children shouldn't be allowed to play with knives! Like the man doesn't have quite a few decades under his belt. Doesn't keep him from playing with whatever comes to hand.

One thing I love about my tile and soapstone is that I don't have to wipe up standing water until I get around to it. I'm a splasher. Another advantage to the tile, which I just found out, is when a bag full of compostables leaks all over the counter, the grout lines keep the gunk from going all over the place. Even with the waterlox and all I'd feel like I couldn't clean wood the way I want. I find it remarkable that people complain about cleaning grout, which is easy unless it's sanded, but don't complain about cleaning wood!

So, yes, I think granite would be easier, and also wouldn't need to be babied unless it's a difficult one (not all granites are bulletproof! You have to be careful about your choices). But what about your heart? Would it weep if you didn't have your beautiful, old world marble and wood? Is the trade off worth it?

• 13 years ago

I have a real butcher block counter at the end of my peninsula.. love it but wouldnt put it near my sink... the rest is marble and in 6 months it is all etched and lived it and I still love it.. .but the lighting in my kitchen is VERY forgiving on this... NO stains... both for me are easily to clean each day. I have put hot pots on my marble without a problem. I tried to get a marble look alike from granite or quartz and I am glad I didnt... it is not the same.. but it depends on how much you like the lived in/used look.

• Related Discussions

re-thinking granite choice, all opinions please

Q

Comments (45)
    forget soapstone and marble unless you can live with slight marring or do the work to correct stains and scratches. granite is much easier... you seal it maybe once a year - wipe on/wipe off - simple. My cabinets are white and so are my appliances. My floor will be porcelain pietra romano which is a sandy taupe with darker veins running thru it to tie into a darker granite. Sink will be stainless. Won't decide on hardware until last moment: either brushed nickel or black iron or ORB.... ha. babbie, both stones will look pretty cuz they're granite and you'll love them but the darker will give your kitchen more WOW/POP factor and the neutral one will blend. I'd go for the wow. again, personal taste. I'm sure you'll be happy with either stone.
    ...See More

Using different butcherblock countertop woods

Q

Comments (0)
    Has anyone ever used two different butcherblock countertop woods before in a kitchen? I have a small kitchen and just had maple countertops installed (L-shaped) from Lumber Liquidators and was going to use rojo alicante marble for the other section by the sink. (96" length) I've had too many people tell me that it would be a mistake so now I'm leaning toward butcherblock and thinking of walnut as I think it would look good with my white farmhouse sink. Hoping the kitchen would look ok with 2 different colors/types of wood for counters. I have pale yellow painted cabinets with subtle brown glazing. I would have to decide on backsplash too whether to go with walnut for both counters or tile for the L-shaped section. I do have tile for the backsplash on the stove wall. Would appreciate any advice.... Thanks.......
    ...See More

Trying to mix marbles and I think I'm losing mine

Q

Comments (61)
    I think the pencil liner could be just the thing to cover your gap and allow you to do something else later if you choose to. Just a little piece of trim, and you can buy a few a see how that looks to you. I just had my outlets moved up to avoid a listello, and while I am glad I didn't cut the lines of the listello having the outlets a little lower was nicer for access and fewer cords draping around (on the coffee pot and grinder, which stay plugged in for the most part). There may be a limit to how far they can be dropped due to framing issues, but it may not be a big issue to lower them if you choose to do that. I love how Rhome picked out that issue with tiling that wall: Snuggling the outlets into the tile will solve a big part of the visual issues any tile on that wall that is lower than the outlet will have.. Your sunflower tile is amazing, and has some interesting properties to my eye: I think the tiny tiles mosaic looks great with it when the triangle is up on the sunflower, and I don't like the mix of the two mosaics with the triangles to the side/square tile on top. I just keep looking at it because it is sort of fascinating to me. I think it is unlikely that you will tire of the Ming green hint of color, but if you have any question about that I would stick with the Thassos/whiter marble. I am guessing that the bit of color softens the look in your kitchen and is so perfect with the color of your walls right now that people find the combo very soothing. But I do think you would be happy with either. And it may be that the orientation of the sample has influenced which "color" people like. Just my two cents. I think you will love either for a long time. And nothing will happen with your drywall in the short term, so if you need some time to live with it just on the stove wall I would take that time and not fret.
    ...See More

re thinking granite pic included

Q

Comments (18)
    That cream cabinet is the only option. Or I can go with stark white. I can switch to a different cabinet line that has different variations of white. I haven't bought anything yet so I'm not locked in. I liked this style cabinet and this line a lot. I love mixing creams and whites. But ideally I would have the white cabinets with cream granite. Not the other way around! The cabinet is definitely not yellow. I brought it home and put it under sunlight, artificial light and next to my stark white trim. I was really making sure it wasn't yellow. I don't mind taking my time with this because it is a big decision. I just wish it were just a little bit easier. Thanks for all your help!
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

There must be dozens of posts on these two materials. I'd just do a search and then reread all of the old ones. At the end of the day, it comes down to whether you want what you like (you must like marble and wood or you wouldn't be going back and forth so much) or you want a 100% guarantee that your counters will stay pristine.

• 13 years ago

I REALLY wanted a wood island and have queried everyone possible. With the exception of some folks on this forum, everyone has told me not to mix sink and wood. Though it might be okay for a few years, they all said 4 or 5 years down the line I'd have water problems around the sink. And I'm the low up-keep kinda gal. So, my current (constantly changing) idea is marble on perimeter and soapstone on buffet and island. Etching I can handle...icky black spots like my mother has on her butcher block not so much. Was at the cabinet makers yesterday and he thought a bilevel island was a perfect solution to get the sit/eat-at wood surface. I've been toying with that as well but just can't give up that large consistent piece of counter real estate to spread out on.

btw, my daughter has her room painted a lovely turquoise blue and it makes us happy everyday!

• 13 years ago

The reason I thought I'd ask, one more time...I saw a rerun of Design Inc. with Sarah Richardson (the yurt) and they put a really cute, small kitchen in that was all cream cabinets and butcher block counters. It was a vintage cottage style and the butcher block was perfect...not too fancy and very inviting. They had the sink on the island and a counter on either side of the stove.

I liked the style, lots of soft blues and greens, with some yellow and cream...and lots of cottage type fabrics (plaids, floral, stipes, etc.) and the butcher block was great.

The confusing part about wood, for me, is that every thread I read contradicts itself. Many people don't have any problem, others have not liked it...or heard of bad examples. I'm wondering if butcher block on the island, with no sink, would be the best way to go...and find something else for the perimeter cabinets.

While I like marble, I think it's just too fancy for my cottage/farmhouse vibe. Maybe a small piece, but not on every counter. Although I do like the idea of granite, espcecially by the oven, it seems a little hard for all the countertops. Maybe some combination of formica, granite and butcherblock?

Plllog- I like the idea of tile, but I'm not sure about the grout. I'm a splasher, too :) Thanks for the idea of the trivet. Maybe that would work with the formica.

Ajard- I don't think I'd like stains but the patina doesn't worry me, too much. It's more that too much marble wouldn't go with my casual style. Wood stove and marble counters? They are pretty, though.

Mtnrdredux- Probably getting some samples and experimenting is the only way to be sure. As for the wood upkeep, I don't think I want Waterlox, so the sink is out, but I like the idea of tung oil and citrus.

Ca_mom- For me, maybe the best thing is to not have a sink on the island, use the butcher block and find something else for the perimeter counters. Bi-level islands are nice, but I'm not sure I want to give up the real estate, either. Thanks for the good news about the turquoise! :)

• 13 years ago

Too funny. I could have posted exactly the opposite post. We were all set to go with honed Jet Mist granite but have had a change of heart and I'm pretty sure we're going to go with ikea butcher block (waterloxed). It came down to price ($4400 for the granite vs. approx. $1000 for wood) and softness/style/warmth. I just kept revisiting the granite and it seems too hard, too cold, and just plain too much money. The wood seems so much more inviting and warm and the over $3k in savings will be put to good use elsewhere.

Anyway, good luck with your decision. It's a tricky one!

• 13 years ago

Lavender--why don't you want Waterlox?

I'm still torn for my tops too. Still thinking about darker wood for the island top, despite there being a sink in it. Then marble for the rest.

• 13 years ago

Because of the smell and the resin additives, I researched an alternative to Waterlox for finishing my butcherblock. I decided on pure tung oil and adapted the instructions for finishing floors on the Real Milk Paint web site. I ended up buying part of my tung oil and all of my citrus solvent from them, and I happy with the information and the products.

The tung oil, thinned or not, takes a bit of time to fully cure, but it worked out fine for me (who am about as handy as a three-toed sloth). The finish is soft, silky, and totally waterproof. Suggestions are to re-oil the counters every few months or years, and I suspect that even an undermount sink can work beautifully, so long as the cut edges of the butcher block are oiled and cured.

Also, the owner of Real Milk Paint is very helpful. If you scour the web site for info and still have a question, he will respond with good common sense to an emailed query.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finishing floors with pure tung oil

• 13 years ago

I think if you actually went through the posts and tallied them, my guess is 80% are in favor of wood, not half and half.

By the way, one thing I forgot to mention in my gazillion previous posts. I decided to put wood around my sink (gasp!) when I saw it in a tour of an historic home that is a museum. My KD took me there to show me their cabinets (the cabinets were original ... the uppers were glass sliders ... I copied that). But while there i noticed the sink with wooden surround and drainboard. It was from 1896! And yeah, it was a little worn, but I loved it!

http://brookscustom.com/premium-wide-care-and-feeding.php

Here is a link that might be useful: my cherry counters after 9 years

• 13 years ago

Breezy- I'm hesitant to use Waterlox, for the reasons Honor mentioned, as well as, I don't believe you can use it for cutting on anymore. One reason I would want butcher block, is to use it. I may end up with a slab, in the island, but not the entire island. I'm still on the fence about a prep sink, so I'm hoping Buehl will chime in on my other post, with some wonderful ideas :)

Honor- I like your idea about the tung oil and citrus. Every few months is not too much upkeep, even for me (LOL) and an undermount prep sink is a good idea!

Mtn- You're probably right...I just don't know if I can do wood, next to the main sink. What kind of wood was it?

I make such a mess, when I'm washing big pots...and don't get me started on dishes stacked on the counter, around the sink, sometimes overnight. Yes, I admit, there are times I don't do my dishes, until the next morning! Design for how you really live, right?

• 13 years ago

The way I see it, wood has been around for decades and even when it's worn and used it still looks great and has history (I like antique-y type things though, things that tell a story).

I don't see why it matters if you splash water when you wash dishes or leave things spilled without wiping them up on a wood counter. Worse case scenario if your counter gets damaged, just rent a planer, shave off the top layer and you have a brand new counter. I don't think it gets any more low-maintenance then that. We had a small section of a butcher block counter from an old bakery and we just used mineral spirits to protect it. no issues. It was next to the stove and got grease splatters on it, but they wiped off (only wiped it down once a week or even less, depends on how much cooking I was doing) and usually with just my dish rag, nothing special.

With that said, we have granite counters, I chose an antique finished stone and it's PERFECT for my kitchen. It's not cold to the touch and it's not glossy or shiny. I think it's warm and inviting and not sterile or off-putting in any way. I can put hot stuff right on it and if coffee or vinegar or wine sit on it for a few hours (or over night) and I don't see it till the enxt morning, I just wipe it up, no issues at all.

But, I think it's plainly obvious that it's a rather personal decision. Can you buy a piece of butcher block or get a sample marble or even a small remnant and use it in your kitchen now to see if your every day cooking/living style would drive you nuts with these surfaces?

Just because everyone likes something doesn't mean you will, and vice versa.

• 13 years ago

What kind of sink are you planning, LL? Can you get one of the vintage ones with the backsplash and drainboards attached? You could put BB elsewhere and not worry a bit. Scald it? Sand it. If you can live with Formica (in DRY places) you can live with wood. And if your wood gets too ugly and you just want it gone, put Formica over it. :)

• 13 years ago

I think my worry, is where the sink would meet the wood. That rim might get too damp and start to rot.

Craftlady- What kind of granite did you get? That sounds wonderful.

Fori- I do have an old farm sink, with drainboards attached, on both sides. I was thinking of using it in the pantry...but maybe I should reconsider and use it with the butcher block!

Thanks for the good ideas, everyone. They're really helping me come up with a better plan :)

• 13 years ago

Look!

"Love all the turquoise accents of course, but check out those dark wood butcher block counter tops, and those stenciled floors. Love how they contrast with the white cabinets. "

Here is a link that might be useful: turquoise and butcher block counters

• 13 years ago

It's New Venetian Gold granite. I know there are other granites available with an antique or honed finish. Anything without the high gloss look would definitely work.

• 13 years ago

If you already have an old, original drainboard sink, that really makes a lot of sense in combo with the wood--it keeps the wood well away from the real wet stuff. And it will look terrific.

BTW I know you're considering Formica but I wouldn't mix granite and Formica--wrong vibe, and they don't really mix at all IMHO. Marble could still work for you if you got honed, sealed against stains, and then really banged and etched the living daylights out of it. You could get the best of both worlds: marble with no worries.

• 13 years ago

Oh craftlady I love your granite! We had several samples of different colors but with the custom color of our cabinets they just made the New Venetian pop. But when they brought in a couple of different slabs they just were quite the same.....so we will keep looking for that perfect slab of New Venetian!

• 13 years ago

Thanks boylanite2! I LOVE it!!
    (sorry for the slight tangent here)
    I've seen pictures where it looks much more creamy/light. The slabs we got has more of a tan/gold overtone to it and I'm really happy with it. It made picking a wall color a bit more tricky (I kept brining home samples or yellows that were too bright or too light...needed more gold). We're not spackling yet, so I hope to at least get the walls sanded and primed this weekend and have the painting done by next weekend (fingers crossed)!!

• 13 years ago

Pinch me- Thanks for the picture! It's very vintage cottage, which I love :)

Craftlady- That's beautiful. I don't like shiny, as it reflects too much light and gives me a headache, when I'm trying to work.

Marcolo- I was thinking of Formica, when I wanted the blue countertops. Now that I'm planning to have the turquoise/blue walls, I'm thinking of more neutral countertops. Honed, sealed marble...can you still roll out dough on that? Marble with no worries sounds great...maybe something like this, for the island...with the butcher block on the perimeter counters.

{{!gwi}}

• 13 years ago

I have had this prep sink in the island with no problems. It's hard rock maple John Boo's butcher block, finished with their "boos mystery oil" which is a food grade oil. Rubbed in. We cut right on it. I have had this about 8 years now. Still love it.

• 13 years ago

Still roll out dough on marble?!?!?! That's THE best surface on which to do it!

• 13 years ago

lavender, when I said "marble with no worries," I meant that you're looking for something much cozier and homier than the blingy look that polished, pristine new marble provides. In other words, for you, marble that's etched and dinged and dull might actually work better than marble that's shiny and sparkly and pure. It's more cottage-y.

You still have a while before you start swinging hammers, so I suggest getting nice big samples of marble and butcher block, each finished as you might plan, and start cooking on them. Chop chop, spill spill, hot pans, the whole nine yards. Then see if you still like them after they've been abused.

• 13 years ago

Marcolo- That's a good idea.

Breezy- I meant, can you still roll out dough, if the marble has been sealed? I don't know much about marble.

Julie- That's beautiful! You've cut on it for eight years...and it still looks wonderful. That's so good to know :)

• 13 years ago

LL- have you looked at this link? Her marble counters are laminate!

Here is a link that might be useful: marble formica

• 13 years ago

Never_ending- Those do look like marble :)

• 13 years ago

Yes, you can. Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

• 13 years ago

Breezy- I saw your beautiful marble, but what kind of finish is it? Are you putting it on the island or the buffet?

• 13 years ago

I have butcherblock counters and love them so far. Only been installed for about a month at this point so I can't say how they're going to hold up, but the water beads right up and there are plenty of spills and splashes here.

They're Ikea and I had them stained and waterloxed. I also have blue walls in the kitchen and I think the color combo of the wood and the blue looks very nice. But I've always been a blue and brown fan.

• 13 years ago

That's pretty gorgeous stone, don't cha think?? ;)

It's honed, but not completely. It's still got a bit of shine to it. I've read here that some people end up with his kind of honed but others have less shine. I wish mine had less. I'm thinking that I'll go ahead and purposely etch the rest off and then seal it.

Still not sure what top is going where. I see two options right now.

1. Marble everywhere--island, perimeter and peninsula.

2. Dark wood for island top and everything else marble.

Hers how I got to this. Marble will etch the most on the island as this is where I'll prep. And I cook with all the yummy acidic stuff. I juice and zest citrus; make vinaigrettes; lots of pasta with red sauce; BBQ sauce for DH's smoked ribs; red wine reductions; balsamic-glazed veggies; etc. So maybe something non-etching there.

My marble has great veining that would be lost on a 24" wide perimeter, but would show well on the peninsula as it will be about 54' x 48". I'm not sure I want three different tops. I've never had a big kitchen. I guess this new one might be close to being classified as large, but I'm not sure. Three materials might seem too busy in there, but I have no idea. I don't even know anyone with granite slab tops, let alone two materials.

I hesitate on the wood because of the warnings here. My island will have a sink and will get wet. I would not use it as a cutting surface. That seems unsanitary to me for some reason even though it can be cleaned. Rhome has a DIY wood top with sink and uses Waterlox so I thought it would be fine. After reading from you about Waterlox, now I'm not sure. Pirula and others have had no trouble with wood without Waterlox.

Bottom line is that I don't know! Framing starts Monday so I've been focusing on exact wall placement, window sizes, and closet door openings. I figure I have a little time to a little more research and decide exactly what I want to do. How's that for a short answer!??? ;)

• 13 years ago

Breezy- I know nothing about Waterlox, but I am sensitive to some finishes and fragrances...so I'd rather use something like tung oil and citrus. Rhome actually has the wood counters, so if you're looking at the same type of wood, it should be fine. You both live in western Washington, too, right? So the humidity, etc. should be the same.

I'm leaning towards doing marble on the island, at least the part that is going to be used for my work area. I'm still thinking about making the island two level...just to hide some of my mess. It would also be nice to have something warmer, like wood, in the raised eating area.

If your marble isn't going to look as good on 24" depth, what if you use the soapstone on the perimeter cabinets and the marble on the island...maybe even the buffet. It would be a nice contrast. If you like the warmth of the wood, it would look great too...and I think your kitchen will have enough countertop that three materials would not look too busy :)

Coffeeaddict- I would like to have butcher block somewhere in the kitchen...I'm just trying to decide exactly where...but I agree, blue and butcher block look beautiful together. Do you have white cabinets?