SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ventinc

Northern CA owner/build- 98.5% done with some pictures

ventinc
14 years ago

Here are some very nearly completed pictures of our owner/build pool. Overall a great experience and after knowing what I know now, (which is A LOT more then when I started)I am still very pleased with choosing to do an owner/build.

Before the pics, here is my disclaimer on the 1.5% unfinished parts:

1. spa spillover will be completed tommorrow.

2. slide epoxy applied Fri.- slide ready in 1 week

3. stacked stone on retaining walls- I will do that this winter.

4. Sealing the deck. Still have to wait 2 more weeks.

....o.k. maybe thats about 8% unfinished

Whole yard pic. Best thing about this picture is when I put my grass back in. Hard on the back but worth it now!

Another full pic shot. You can see the slide a little better in this one.

Above the pool on the slope. Gives a view of the slide and some of my Home Depot landscaping. Dont' hate on Home Depot, I got all of my queen palms half-off!

Picture of the steps that acess the slide. From here they are easy to see but from the poolside people ask me "where are the steps?" This was the effect I was going for which was to try to not have the steps be noticeable.

Waterfall and cave. All done by a gunite/concrete carver. He was very skilled. If you are going to do ANY carved concrete, find the guy in your area who can do it well. I have seen bad carving and good carving and the difference is night and day.

This is the shelf done in Mt. Moriah quartzite. My rock guy cut little pieces of irridescant(sp?) tile and set them in. Looks shweet! - he said that everyday he was here.

Closer shot of the stone work but still not quite finished.

Shot of the spa with a pretty bad angle on the spa watefall. We plumbed the spa waterfall as a hot water return so we can have it run and keep the spa hot.

Four jets grouped together in a built-in spa? Yes it's true!

Two jets per seating area for the rest of the spa. The took some fancy plumbing but having a little more jet variety was the result.

Another shot of the spa/waterfall with the jets and the blower on. Won't be heating it for another week until I know my water is balanced perfectly.

Here is a shot of my solar panels. I put these up myself and as long as you follow the installation manual EXACTLY, it is simple to do. Mine was a little easier to plumb because it is on a dedicated loop seperate from my filtration pump. I have an extra cartridge filter for the solar plumbing.

And here is a crappy shot of my equipment pad. 4in. plumbing to the waterfalls and spa. 3in. suction and 2 1/2 returns. VERY efficient and worth the extra cost in what I will save down the road.

I have tons more but I guess thats enough. Just like in real life, I got some GREAT advice from this board and some bad advice from this board. I owe a real debt of gratitude to those who helped me build this pool. So after learning what I have learned, if you are going to do an owner/build, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. If you have questions on your owner/build I will answer anything I can and gladly share my experiences if it helps. Thanks for looking.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor