SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbedelman_gw

Which Robot Do You Have

sbedelman
14 years ago

Forgive me if this has been covered but I searched repeatedly and only found a few posts about pool robots. If I missed something I apologize (but please point me to thread if you would) but if not if people would be willing to post their experiences, particularly if they have owned various kinds.

I started out looking at the Polaris line but the more I looked I began to wonder how the pressure driven robots compared to the electric ones. The latter are certainly a lot more expensive but from the posts I've seen nobody seems all that pleased with even the top of the line Polaris's. Maybe other brands are better but there sure are a lot of folks who say they've rebuilt their Polaris more than once and finally gave up and threw it out. Is this fairly characteristic of most of the mechanical pressure units?

As for the electrics people sound more satisfied. While some people have had issues with breakdowns, but I notice that most people who own electrics but started with a mechanical appear happy or at least enough happier that I've yet to see a post from someone who trashed his electric to buy a pressure driven.

So if you've got some tales to tell I'd really like to hear them. Frankly cost is less an issue to me than whether the darn thing works (ie cleans the pool well enough that it does the bulk of the work). Not that I expect it to be perfect. Scrubbing the tile line or the steps really isn't a big deal at all. But if one is going to spend $1000+ for a robot it would be nice to understand what it can and cannot do and hence if is it worth it vs doing it myself by hand (or hiring a service).

Thanks.

Comments (20)