SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cynic_gw

Food/Cleaner Bag Recycling

cynic
10 years ago

Thought it would drive the ketchup post too far off topic to post this in there so I started a new thread.

The question came up whether the ketchup bags, packets and similar containers were recyclable. I emailed them about it but I haven't heard back from Heinz on whether the bags and packets are recyclable. I'm doubting they are but will wait for their response. Started thinking when lindyluwho mentioned the soap in a bag. Method uses bags for their refills and Prowash uses bags for its laundry soap, as I'm sure many others do too. I thought IF any was going to be recyclable, the soap bags would be more likely recyclable since food containers are often prohibited from recycling. That in mind I went to the Method website FAQs and found that their bags are not recyclable in the US. Why they're not recyclable in the US but are elsewhere, they didn't say. Their comments on it were interesting:
"Are the refill pouches recyclable?
Great question! We put a lot of thought into this packaging, so we’re glad to see it getting some attention.

First off: this pouch design is not recyclable in US recycling systems, although it is in some other countries in the world. It may seem counterintuitive that a non-recyclable package is more eco-friendly, which is the reason we thought about this option for so long.

An ecological impact calculation was performed on several packaging options by a Swiss company (Migros) that makes food products. It concluded that the pouch had one seventh the ecological impact than an equivalent-volume PET bottle even if this bottle was assumed to be recycled 80% of the time. Given that US recycling rates are far lower than this, the degree of favorability is even higher. The reason for this is that the packaging weight of the pouch is drastically lower than for the PET bottle, with the result that all of the material, water, air and energy inputs in the production, manufacturing process, transportation, usage and retail are scaled down significantly for the pouch.

The pouch is the resoundingly preferable packaging option; however, it is clearly not perfect. The ideal solution would be a version of the pouch that is recyclable. method is currently pursuing this option and hopes to eventually replace the current pouch."
OK, I found that interesting. However a little farther down it talked about a place called TerraCycle who upcycles/recycles things like the pouches, laundry bottle caps, trigger sprayers, etc into things like reusable bags, garbage cans, benches, etc, and they give a credit for things sent in, as I understand they pay the postage and give a credit to a charity for the donation. Now this was interesting. I was also seeing where some places were collecting the ketchup packets at certain places. I'm wondering if it's for something like this where they recycle/upcycle it.

Normal disclaimer applies, I know nothing about it and am not endorsing it (at least at this time). Could be real or could be a scam. I'd doubt it would be a total scam if Method participates in it though.

In any case, it's interesting. Thoughts? Other info?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!