SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qa4me

concrete/masonry expert advice ...PLEASE

16 years ago

Hello,

I'm sorry for the long post, but i wanted to give as much info. as I could so we could get this taken care of asap.

I know there's a post here somewhere similar to mine, but I'm seeing to much red to look. We just had our dbl pour cant. with bullnose pool coping and steps that lead up to the spa poured as well as our retaining wall with a cantilever bullnose top. I hope that makes sense. This was yesterday. It does not look good. The steps are different shapes, the bullnose edge is lumpy and the steps look like they're sinking in the middle. The round spa has dents (I guess from where the foam was bent) about every copule of feet and the bullnose inside the pool waves in and out. Not to mention the cap on the pillars are cracking and the corner of one of the steps looks like it's crumbling. The coping or cap on the wall barely sticks out over the edge of the wall where the ledgerstone is supposed to be applied. There's about an inch between the back of the wall and the edge of the bullnose. My ledgerston sticks out.

The ledgerstone is called "California Gold" and the pool tiles were picked with the same colors which are rust, drk gray, burgandy and some gold. I happened to have a couple of color charts and when discussing the concrete colors with the decking guys he told me to choose a color and let him know. I deduced down to a "Brickform" color "autumn brown". It was the darkest one that would bring out the tile and stone colors. Was told that it would lighten up to about 30% and was told that the color would work. (I had originally chose Dark Gray thinking it really couldn't be messed up.) I was also told that they don't have "Brickform" specifically but they could match the colors. Whether or not something went wrong I don't know. All I know is the color is now extremely light and powdery and barley resembles the color I chose and now does not match or enhance the stone or tiles I have chosen. This all leading to my questions. On the coping and cap (the concrete guy said it all can be fixed and patched by grinding and whatever else and to trust him he's been in the bus. 30 years, but.... I trusted him to do the work without these mistakes.)Now, I'm nervous because I don't want a bad situation to get worse. IYO can this be repaired i.e the cracks, lumps, dents, crumbling, waves and short edge or does it need to be replaced or something else?

"Wavy lines" inside pool

"Dents" in Spa

"Cracks" on the Pillar caps

"Dipping, wavy, uneven" steps

"Crumbling uneven and unmatched to other side" steps

"Crumbling closeup"

"Idea of how it all goes together "coping is still wet in photo".

And also can the concrete color be fixed i.e stained ... painted.. recoated or sealed to help enhance the color without it being temporary or constant maintenance? I'm enclosing pics, but ironically the color of the coping looks like it matches, but the pics are decieving, it's close but not the same.

Thanks for baring with me on this and for any and all repsonses!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting