SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jprain

Me and my uncle are having an argument... (Pics)

JPRain
12 years ago

OK so... My uncle, the house-whisperer, never really liked my kitchen design. He said I shouldn't open the kitchen up so much to the rest of the house. Something about people being able to walk in the front door and see my dirty dishes in the sink. (He always was a bit of a curmudgeon.)

I on the other hand would like to be able to have more than 4 people over for dinner from time to time. So I was thinking it would be nice to have an opening between the kitchen and the dining room big enough to expand my table through. You know... On those rare occasions I can show off my shiny red Bluestar.

So... I think he was secretly happy when we opened up the wall and found these 5 ducts going right through the middle of it.

Now we can reroute them but, it's going to be a huge PITA. We'll have to tear out a ceiling in the basement, tear out a header that we wouldn't really have to tear out (though I think it might be good to do it anyway), and cut a hole through the floor in an upstairs bedroom while routing a new duct to it. My biggest fear is that we make a mistake and drop something through the living room ceiling. Which would suck.

The opening with the little duct sticking up out out of is the one in question. We cut it to 30 inches. (According to my uncle that was to, "show me how it should look.") The plan calls for a 6'7" opening.

The other side. That space the fridge is sitting will be filled in, as will the other little door at the far right of the pic. So that one door will be the only way in or out. As you can see from the pics, the only thing on the other side of the kitchen is a living room.

My Dad now is refusing to come to my house in fear that he will be forced into choosing between his brother and his son. (I've been telling him it's my house and I should get it the way I want it, he tells me that, Kevin, my uncle, has built more houses than me and might know what he's talking about.)

And I think my cousin is taking my side when he's around me and his dad's side when he's around my uncle. (That might be a self preservation thing though, so I don't take it personal.)

So... Who's side are you on?? Since it's election season, I'm taking a pole. Plus when you agree with me I can show him how wrong he is.

Oh yeah... The curmudgeon would also like me to tell you that keeping the kitchen closed off also improves the living room. Something about defining the space better. Yeah, I don't know what that means either. (I think he's just making things up.)

Comments (26)