SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomasjoker

Selling an old home (built in 60's)

thomasjoker
11 years ago

Hey guys

I am trying to sell our family home built in the 60's.
It's a Tudor style home. It's in a nice neighborhood so I can't cheap out too much on reno's. Yet I don't want to spend too much since I probably won't get that money back.

I have some questions:

1) Basement ceilings are about 7.5 feet tall. What color should I make the hardwood in? Dark? Light? I want to de-emphasize the shortness of the ceiling while still appealing to a large market, I don't want to put in laminate because my neighborhood is more upscale relatively.

2) Chandeliers: I have those old crystal ones with tons of crystals pieces strung together. Should I sell these and get cheaper Costco or Homesense stuff?

3) What do you guys suggest for staging? Buy my own furniture and decor items at Costco and Homesense? I think tables would be harder and I might have to rent large dining tables. I was thinking of buying my own bed since I am moving to a condo but then I have to spend the time disassembling and reassembling it again.

4) Old 80's white leather sofa with dark solid wood on sides: still clean but leather cracking a bit, hard to see from far, not new age style, should I get rid of or use it in staging?

5) Old original sliding door to backyard, should I replace this with a French door?

6) Windows: Mine are really old like the originals from the late 60's, never changed at all. So to replace them in the whole house would not be cheap given that I may need to go custom for them. If you put your hand on them, they will feel cold. The upstairs washroom windows are quite nasty, but I didn't know if I should try just cleaning them with a steamer and save the money. Should I change them all? They have grit and some are very dirty, but I am not sure if a powerwasher would clear that up.

7) There's a vent hose in the basement that a terrible contractor routed from the washroom into the furnace room sneakily, years ago. Should I fix this? It would cost to drill a hole in the wall to vent it out.

8) Front doors were never changed. Should I just paint over? Or invest in new front doors?

Thanks!

Comments (13)