SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jscozz_gw

Bonding question

jscozz
11 years ago

Just making sure I have a clear understanding of this... searched everywhere, but some details seem to be different depending on municipality.

The plan calls for #8 bare cu bonding wire around the perimeter of the pool, attached to pool rebar at 4 equally spaced points around the pool. That same wire (unbroken) runs to the pad and loops through the pump, heater and salt gen bonding lugs.

My questions are:

1) I assume each other pool device that needs to be bonded (LED lights, LED bubblers) require the main #8 wire to be looped continuously through each of their bonding lugs... not allowed to run separate #8 from light to main #8 ring and clamp, right?

2) How are items that are not present at gunite time bonded? Like a slide with metal supports that will not be installed for a few weeks after gunite. Can they be tied to the main bonding loop with a separate piece of #8 or do you need to leave enough slack in the main loop to be able to tie that directly to any objects added after gunite is shot, without break or splice in the bonding wire?

3) Does the decking rebar need to tie directly to the #8 loop? I saw in some photos where the PB leaves a bunch of 3' rebar lengths coming out of the beam and into the decking area around the pool. I will be using a roll of copper mesh under pavers. I am just trying to understand what should be connected to each other and what should not.

4) If I have no ladders, rails or other metal, is the LED light bonding enough to bond the pool water or do I need something else? I am guessing the Pentair IntelliBrite 5g has metal on it and is not entirely plastic.

5) I have seen some posts that say something about the bonding wire running back to the pad in the light conduit... but everything I see in the code says it should NOT be in any conduit... and in fact, from the lug on the light niche there is no way to get the bonding wire into the light conduit.

I appreciate any feedback on how this is normally done.

Comments (12)