SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homersgarden

Waxing a Slide...Ideas?

homersgarden
15 years ago

We have an older pool that we will be resurfacing/remodeling in a few years. Until then we are making due with what we have (and I might add we still LOVE it). Anyway, the slide's water no longer works so we have to poor water on it before we go down it. My husband said that when he was younger his brother and him would wax the slide using wax paper. He wondered if we could wax it with surf wax to help make it retain water (it dries super fast) or to help make it less difficult to get down. Any ideas? I don't want to leave this to him because once when he was little he used PAM to wax the kitchen floor and make it shiny!

Thanks

Comments (6)

• tresw
    15 years ago

What is the slide made out of? If it's fiberglass, you can wax it with automotive wax.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

I was going to say the same thing as tresw. We had an older fiberglass slide at our last house that had oxidized over the years. I used a car wax specifically geared toward removal of that oxidized layer, then used regular car wax.

Worked just great, and the water would bead up and run down, rather than just be absorbed into the slide.

• stonesmama
    15 years ago

Hey tresw, do you think auto wax would do well with our Turbo Twisters? I had been considering trying it. I thought it would really make people fly. Also, do you put anything on the exposed bolts and metal fittings to prevent rust? It looks like some of mine are starting to after only 5 weeks of use.

• tresw
    15 years ago

Stonesmama, I don't think wax would work too well on our plastic slides, it would more than likely leave a very unsightly white swirly residue on them (same thing happens if you wax plastic car parts that aren't supposed to be waxed).

The slide came with a little packet of stuff that all of the hardware was supposed to be coated with before installation, did your PB not use it? I used it on everything and so far the hardware is showing no signs of corrosion at all. Are you seeing rust spots or corrosion? All the hardware is stainless, so it shouldn't ever rust. It might develop some surface corrosion if not treated though.

• tresw
    15 years ago

The stuff I was talking about is called "anti-sieze compound" and can be purchased at automotive parts stores. It's supposed to be installed on the hardware before assembly (mainly on metal-to-metal connections) so that the hardware can be removed in the future if needed, but you can also use it on the exposed portions of the fasteners to prevent corrosion.

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

Not sure if they still make it but Leisure Time makes a product called FAST GLOSS. It is for spas and works great on slides.