SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_2007

Need advice on buying an Income Property (newbie)

loralee_2007
15 years ago

We found a new listing in our area where the asking price is such an awesome deal, the first question I asked the listing agent was "OK, what's wrong with it?". Nothing (except a couple minor things like an older furnace etc - all stuff we could remediate easily). Otherwise, this is a VERY well kept home that has awesome curb appeal, and the pics are outstanding for a "starter" home. The owner of the home lives in Nova Scotia and is a "motivated" seller according to the agent.

I'm very familiar with the neighborhood since our house is 2 doors down and we're going to see it tomorrow night, and we have an appt with the bank on Friday.

Since we've contemplated buying income properties but have yet to make the plunge I need some advice:

- Is it a good idea to incorporate a business for this activity to protect our personal assets in the event of any kind of tenant lawsuit?

- If we subbed the management service to a professional management service, generally what kind of fee would we be looking at?

- What kind of rental profit % should there be after mortgage, taxes, insurance, repairs. (I would like to know so I can compare current rentals in the area to see if we could offer comparable in order to know if this is feasible.)

- We don't have a buyers agent, is this necessary? Not sure how this works...will the seller's agent "automatically" tack on 3% for showing us the house and therefore become our Buyer's Agent? Or is it reasonable to deduct 3% from the price since we are not introducing a Buyer's agent? (we have a Real Estate Attorney who will review our contract and take us through Escrow etc).

Any other comments or advice is greatly welcomed & appreciated. I've included a link to the property in question (our market in Winnipeg, Canada is very stable and mortgages are easy to get with qualification, which we do.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Income Property listing

Comments (7)