SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imscattered

Why old women wear jewelry

imscattered
12 years ago

Saw an old friend and I never seen so much flashy jewelry. I thought I never saw her do this before. Then decided we old ladies must do this to draw attention away from all the wrinkles, thinning hair, double chin!!!

Comments (52)

• kfca37
    12 years ago

Can't say what the M.O. of your friend is, but I've always loved large necklaces since I was a teenager, & 75 is rapidly coming up. No interest whatsoever in earrings, finger rings, bracelets or brooches...only necklaces, particularly from the Art Deco era. Also, love colorful silk (no poly please) scarfs. Not sure why as I have neither a "creapey" neck nor a double chin.

• alisande
    12 years ago

Ditto Kfca37. My necklaces are more tribal than Art Deco, but my feeling about them is the same. If I go out in the evening, I almost always wear a dramatic necklace. I rarely wear any other kind of jewelry. This didn't start in my old age, BTW.

• Related Discussions

70 year old women arrested for not watering her lawn

Q

Comments (20)
    ESPECIALLY if she was my next door neighbor. True, but seventy is very relative. :-) My mother at 65 did 10 cubic yards of mulch in two days. Dad at 67 is in bad enough shape that he can't stand out in heat for more than ten minutes before toppling over. Some of it also depends on treatment. If she were a nice lady who was clearly incapable of doing it, sure. If she were the stereotypical mean old woman, I'm not going to expose myself to her attitude. Case in point, my neighbor--the same age as I am--just got cited for his lawn. No, I didn't call it in. The township discovered it on their rather regular inspections--and his passed 2 1/2 feet in the back. Could I have mowed his back yard? Yes. Do I? Certainly not. He does nothing, and he's unpleasant to anybody who does do anything.
    ...See More

How old is too old to wear jeans?

Q

Comments (69)
    You know, I remember when only farmers wore jeans or denim. It was prohibited in high school by our dress code, even. Now they are everywhere! OK, I'm way out of my league here, LOL. I don't have enough clothes to wait weeks between wearings. I used to have office/work clothes and farm clothes and nothing in between. Now I have no use for business suits and that single pair of black pumps that I wore with everything. I'm 5'2" and do not have long legs. I also have a big bust and short waist, no jeans look good on me, they either come up to my ribcage or they fall off my butt (or both, I can't figure out how that works) I hate 'em all but I'm far more likely to go with jeans that feel less awful (none are comfortable) than choose them based on how they look. Since I'm retired my wardrobe now consists of one pair of Carhartt sweat pants, two pairs of dress slacks, one pair of capri pants, half a dozen assorted t shirts, both long and short sleeved, a couple of long sweater/cardigans and a zip up sweatshirt (black) and you have my entire wardrobe. I never wear jewelry other than my wedding ring, I haven't put on a pair of earrings in years, I didn't even wear them to Ashley's wedding. Shoes? I have one pair of black Avia sneakers, one pair of muck boots (also black and not the $100 ones either, the $11 ones from Tractor Supply, goes with everything, even those maroon Carhartt sweatpants), one pair of snow boots, one pair of white flip flops and one pair of black Skecher flats. Although I've been to Chico's, I've never been able to actually spend what they want for clothes, regardless of size. In spite of my completely non-existent fashion sense and my woefully inadequate wardrobe, which I did not realize was woefully inadequate until this very instant, I still don't think you're ever too old to wear jeans, if you want to wear 'em. And yes, I realize that a very large percentage of my woefully inadequate wardrobe is black. I like black, it goes with everything and I don't have to think about matching, I'll wear it until they invent a darker color.... Annie
    ...See More

Goodbye, old bras! (for women, obviously...)

Q

Comments (57)
    Hm, well. . .is anyone smaller in size, like me? Frankly I'm always a little embarrased to buy bras because I need an add-a-size padded bra just to make me look semi-shapely. I'd never go to a fitter--would make me feel like a pre-teen (and I'm 50). If the straps don't stretch out first, the padding goes bad after a number of washes.
    ...See More

Game

Q

Comments (22)
    Have been enjoying the work of these creative wits - but this half-equipped one can't think of one at the moment. ole joyful
    ...See More
  • socks
    12 years ago

I don't wear flashy jewelry, but I always wear small earrings and often necklace, bracelets, pin on the jacket. Wish I had more jewelry but I'm not adding much to the collection at this point. Most is just costume, a few nice pieces.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

Though I've only pretty well just worn a watch (for function) and earrings all my life, in the past year I have found it fun to shop for and wear misc jewelry as it adds so much to one's 'maybe simple or plain' attire. It's fun to shop thrift stores and even antique malls for unique items, at very reasonable prices. Anymore, I often get compliments on my necklace, bracelet, or ring(s).

Most new jewelry, costume or otherwise, doesn't interest me though. Maybe I just enjoy 'the hunt' for more unique, possibly 'one of a kind' pieces.

Sue

• gazania_gw
    12 years ago

Wrinkles, double chin, thinning grey hair wearing small earings and a bizzare bug pin, that would be me! But I do admire flashy earings and neckwear on other women and wish I felt comfortable in that type of 'trim'.

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

My mother wore her good (not flashy!) jewelry more in her later years, mainly because it po'ed my sister-in-law, who had learned that she wasn't inheriting any of it. It all came to me, the only daughter, and there wasn't much, but now I proudly wear my mother's favorites.

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

Just my watch. Over 19 years ago had to have my wedding ring cut off due to a broken arm and just never replaced it. Don't know why. Still married going on 59 years. Do wear necklaces occasionally, but no ear rings, no ear lobes and never got around to piercing my ears.

• chisue
    12 years ago

Hah! I've been wearing the same small gold 'love knot' earrings every day since we were burgled in 2007. I wear my (combined) wedding/engagement ring and a watch. I have a few things in the bank deposit box. I'm not about to buy a lot of jewelry now and I can't replace what I lost. None of the pieces were large or flashy anyway; never my thing..

Too much jewelry is the same as too much makeup, whether you're young or old.

You know, I'm really tired of the huge "industrial grade" chains I see on anchorwomen on TV. They overpower the wearer.

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

My standard earrings are a gold loop pair, not large by any means.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    12 years ago

On occasion I do wear the family jewels,:)

Sue

• mary3444
    12 years ago

Ever since I had to have my wedding & engagement rings cut off my fingers I had the diamond put into a setting so I can wear at least that on a necklace. That is the only piece of jewelry I wear even though I have a lot in my jewelry box.

• User
    12 years ago

It's when they wear the scarfs around their necks that they are covering up the wrinkles. No flashy or any jewelry for this Old Lady!

• pekemom
    12 years ago

Why not? Yes, old people know they have wrinkles, or double chins or thinning hair, they don't think the jewelry hides it, they just feel like wearing it I guess. I've never worn a lot of jewelry and don't care to start now, but that's what makes some people happy.

• kfca37
    12 years ago

Nope, I wear silk scarves around my neck, & have for many years, just because I love the bright colors. If I happen to be wearing a boring teeshirt or sweater color, it just brightens it up. A few of my scarf collection items goes back 30 to 40 years, but I think my most recent purchase was 20 years ago.

When we were at the Getty Museum in Los Angeles a year ago, it took a lot of discipline not to purchase a gorgeous "Iris" silk scarf in their gift shop based on a Monet painting in their gallery---particularly since purple & lilac are my favorite colors. Held back since I already have about a dozen, not to mention the price being $40. I still think of it though.

• drewsmaga
    12 years ago

This "old lady" wears 2 rings (bands) and a watch. I have LOTS of "flashy" jewelry, including an awesome Pandora bracelet the kids "built" for me. But I have an almost 1 yr. old granddaughter. Can't wear jewelry when you're taking care of a baby (she broke my bracelet about a month ago). And I don't think to put on my diamond tennis bracelet when I'm going to the grocery store. ;-)

• susanjf_gw
    12 years ago

why not? if you've got it, i say go for it, lol...think you'd find lots of baby boomers raised in the pearl necklace, thru the hippy beads of the 60's, love their things...it was what we were raised with and embraced...

currently have on 2 chains, my leaf-patterned wedding band and small crystal heart earrings...one chain has my 40th ann of ruby and emerald cherries (less than a half inch) and the other a celtic cross, and cross with a tiny chip emerald...

now my mother's diamond rings i rarely wear...actually i'm afraid to, so they're locked up at the bank...

oh i'm 65...giggle...

• grandmamary_ga
    11 years ago

I guess I'm an "old lady" 72 but I never think about my age when I wear my jewelry. Nothing large or flashy or expensive. I usually just wear studs of some sort usually sterling silver or dangle type small earrings. Rarely a watch and my wedding ring solid gold and wide. One necklace my granddaugter gave me for Christmas one year that just says grandmother on it and hers says granddaughter on it. Mostly all my costume jewelry is sentimental to just me and I don't care what others think I wear it for me. If someone compliments me on it I just say thank you politely for the comment and get on with my day. I do have the wrinkles and double chin and I really do not care what others think about my jewelry. I try to match my earrings to what I am wearing for the day. But I do like jewelry and am always on the lookout for something new. Nothing expensive. love to look.
    Mary

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I say, "Why the heck NOT? "

By no means is the wearing of lot of jewelry exclusive to 'old women '. The title of this thread could read, " Why (any category) women wear jewelry ".

My guess as to the answer is....because it makes them feel beautiful. And happy.

• jude31
    11 years ago

Define old! I'm almost 82, wear jewelry that could easily be classified as flashy...shop at Chico's frequently. My jewelry is costume, except my wedding band, but even that can get what I consider pricey, sometimes. I wear bright colors just because I like them. And yes, I wear scarves quite a bit, depending on what I'm wearing. Sometimes, given reasonably good health, old can be a frame of mind. I'm not there....... yet.

• pekemom
    11 years ago

I wear 2 diamond rings (small diamonds) and a watch although I have more jewelry (not a lot though). DH and I sold some gold jewelry at a pawn shop last year that we never wore. By the way I'm 66, so yeah, old.

• lindaohnowga
    11 years ago

A person's age has nothing to do with what they wear in jewelry, clothing, makeup, etc. At 73, I wear what "I" like and don't care what anyone else may think. I always wear my plain wedding band, the wedding rings set that we had put into one ring, my mother's engagement ring, my "Mom" ring, my "Mother" heart shaped necklace which never leaves my neck, which are from my daughter, gold loop small earrings and a black onyx ring from my hubby, and my mom's cocktail ring. They all mean "love" to me from those I love. Plus I wear a watch. I might not know what day it is, but at least I have the time. LOL I still wear my stirrup pants, color my hair and wear my eye liner and other makeup.

• susanjf_gw
    11 years ago

am afraid to wear my diamonds from my mom..first, the solitaire is huge 3-4 carats...so only my modest quarter c solitare...

the 2 necklase i wear are both crosses...one with a chip of emerald, and other irish cluddah (sp) cross...put it on after my lumptomy and havn't taken it off...

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

"Why not? Yes, old people know they have wrinkles, or double chins or thinning hair, they don't think the jewelry hides it, they just feel like wearing it I guess."

Amen.

I've had the thought that women wear bolder jewelry as we get older for the same reason that guys wear kelly green shirts & plaid trousers ('cause we like it, & 'cause we can) & for the same reason I now use the good china all the time (if not now, when?).

• juellie1962
    11 years ago

Just curious how posts get resurrected after a year or more. Do people just search through them till they find one they want to comment on? Don't they ever "go away"?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

Just curious how posts get resurrected after a year or more.
    I was curious too, and earlier today saw that a spammer had posted just to include a spam link. Guess someone reported it to the PTB.

• Lily316
    11 years ago

I wear a classic round watch with a leather band all the time. I also have two silver necklaces with a tiny square on each , one a cat, one a dog. These are usually under my shirt. I wear no rings unless I'm going to an event. Then I put on the diamond rings I inherited, and one I made from my engagement ring, mother's and grandmother's rings. I wear no wedding ring. Sometimes when I'm dressed I have a "statement" large necklace and some bracelets. .

• Oakley
    11 years ago

There is an actress on a show I watch, she's in her 80's. A good 30 years older than me. I've been watching her for years and just love the big jewelry she wears, especially the rings.

Yes, she's wrinkled, her hands have arthritis, but when she wears those big rings (with a good manicure) I always say to myself, "I want to look like her!" :)

• marilyn_c
    11 years ago

I didn't realize this thread was a year old....but since some have added to it, so will I.

I wear my wedding rings all the time, and almost no other jewelry. Once in awhile some small earrings when I am going somewhere "special". However, I love jewelry and love seeing it on women...especially older women.

When I was young, I didn't wear jewelry...except what I wear now...my rings and sometimes earrings. I felt almost self conscious wearing much more than that....but I don't feel that way any more. I don't have much in the way of jewelry...some vintage stuff that I bought for my daughter when she was a teen and she gave back to me when she no longer wore it...but if I had some nice jewelry, I'd wear it. I love seeing little old women with gray hair and wrinkles, wearing big chunky turquoise jewelry. Makes me wish I had some. Jewelry, I mean. I have wrinkles and gray hair.

• linda_in_iowa
    11 years ago

I had my grandma's solitaire diamond that had been in my wedding ring reset into a pendant. I have started wearing my mother's engagement and wedding rings.

• Lindsey_CA
    11 years ago

"And I don't think to put on my diamond tennis bracelet when I'm going to the grocery store. ;-)"

I don't have to think about putting on my diamond tennis bracelet -- I wear it all the time. It was a gift that my brother had arranged to be made and given to me after he died.

The other jewelry that I always wear is:

My diamond wedding band.

A diamond "cocktail ring" on my right ring finger. The largest diamond was in my mother's engagement ring, and I inherited it after she died. I had the diamond reset so that I could always wear it (it wouldn't feel "right" to wear my mother's wedding set).

A diamond pendant that my husband had custom made for me for my 60th birthday.

One of my husband's brothers is a Certified Master Bench Jeweler. He made my wedding band, my pendant, and my tennis bracelet.

I also always wear my Tag Heuer watch.

Edited to remove details cuz they made someone (not I) uncomfortable.

This post was edited by Lindsey_CA on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 19:56

• terilyn
    11 years ago

I love jewelry, I wear rings, necklace, multiple bracelets, and earrings every day. Not trying to cover anything up, just love it. DH always has multiple pieces to choose from on any holiday, a friend of mine works at Neiman Marcus!

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

Thank you, I do feel better now.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Since my fingers have arthritis, my engagement/wedding rings won't go over my knuckles, so I wear them on a chain around my neck. My other jewelry isn't flashy, but I like wearing things my husband has given me over the years-- like diamond studs and tennis bracelet. Just yesterday, after Easter dinner, my daughter and I pulled out my jewelry box and looked thru it. She found a couple of things she wanted, so she.s got them. Heck, why wait till I'm gone? Hopefully, that'll be a few years, yet. :)

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

I think one factor is that when a person is young and just begining his/her life's journey, they have not yet collected wearable mementos. What they have to display is themselves and too many bangles get in the way.

As people trudge down the road of life, they collect memories and events and sometimes 'things' that they either like, have value, or have a special meaning to them. Good memories, both happy or sad, are powerwful influences.

Eventually late in life, they begin to wear stuff they would not be caught dead with when young. Their tastes and experiences have changed their preference. Some develop a high degree of fashion sense and decorate themselves accordingly while others pile on a batch of uncordinated likes and memories.

• Orchidllauraga
    10 years ago

My Mother started collecting antique jewelry when she was working. She was about 50 when she started and collected up until she passed away almost 3 years old. She mainly collected brooches with the matching clip earrings. I inherited it all!!! I must have over a 1000 pieces of vintage jewelry. I picked out several pieces and displayed them on a curtain I had when we lived in St.Marys, just haven't gotten around to doing it in this house. If I am wearing a jacket I may pull a piece and wear it. I need to have all her jewelry appraised since some of it is worth a good bit of money Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Now the jewelry that I wear all the time is my wedding band from Prince Charming, my mom's engagement ring & her wedding band. A claddagh ring on my thumb, on my left hand I wear an anniversary ring my dad bought my mom for their 40th anniversary white gold ring & mom's very first wedding band on my thumb. I always wear my watch, And for the most part a necklace and earring set that I have bought to go with a particular outfit

• kayjones
    10 years ago

No jewelry for me - I just wear my wrinkles with pride - I've worked very hard for each one!

• jannie
    10 years ago

I have plenty of wrinkles and lines but I don't own much bling.

• shelly_seattle
    10 years ago

Lots of reasons why old women wear jewelry, but someone please tell me why they wear so dang much perfume. A little is just fine, but when someone has so much on that it hits you like a brick wall I don't understand.
    Can't they smell how much they are putting on.

• jel48
    10 years ago

My thought is that we don't really encourage the spammers unless we respond to whatever the are trying to get us to respond to. In this case, I see it was a www link. But no, I don't look at the dates on most threads. If it's something I'm interested in, I read, and maybe post, but I don't check dates. I thought it was an interesting thread and never even realized the spam thing was there until you mentioned it. I guess I don't care if old thread come back up. In many cases, I missed them the first time around. Or forgot them. Either could be true with my memory!

• suzieque
    10 years ago

I noticed it and ;yes, I'm annoyed by old threads being resurrected by spammers. What I've realized, though, is that there are lots of people that don't read the responses (let alone the dates), so they are only looking at the OP or the first couple down from it.

So - because so many people don't read all of the posts, when a zombie thread pops up I don't think the next-in-line posters (after the spammer) even know.

How many times have we seen someone post a question, get several responses, then come back and post what they decided, only to continue to have people tell them what they should do (or answer the question), clearly never seeing that the decision has been made.

That's fine - - - it's just interesting to me how many posts don't actually get paid attention to.

(Edited to fix tense)

This post was edited by suzieque on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 14:43

• caroline94535
    10 years ago

I don't have wrinkles, yet; probably because I'm too plump for them to show! LOL As for the chins, and grey/thinning hair - that's me!

And inside I am still 17.

I have always loved, LOVED jewelry, any and all jewelry. I have a gypsy's soul and a magpie's love of the sparkly. A crystal to hang in the window, or a diamond on my finger...they make me equally happy.

In my early years, I could not afford the types or amounts of jewelry I wanted. It was the 70s, and I was very happy with macramé bracelets, beads, and faux scrimshaw earrings. Still, I loved jewels and gold and sparkles.

I certainly wasn't jewelry impoverished; I just felt as though I was. I had (and still have) a lovely amethyst ring from Grandma; a green-faced gold Seiko watch, a pair of pearl studs, a sterling charm bracelet, and a pearl pendant necklace.

At age 27 I joined the Air Force and finally had the freedom and income to enjoy more "girly" things.

I bought gold stud earrings, since we could wear them with our uniforms, a pair of diamond-cut gold dangle earrings (that I have worn every Christmas since 1984) a gold bangle bracelet and a couple vintage rings. I love them.

After years of working and living in areas with more resale shops, I accumulated lots of shiny things, new and vintage, real and faux, many of which have now been shared with nieces and younger friends.

I still have my favorites...a collection of costume jewelry brooches, "good" earrings, and a knotted/beaded Swarovski bracelet that has just the right amount (too much!) sparkle.

Mom recently gave me her diamond stud earrings. I was speechless; I had always wanted diamond earrings but wouldn't buy them for myself. I thought they should be a gift from "a sweetheart." I was wrong; nothing can match the charm of diamond earrings from your Mom while she enjoys you wearing them.

Wes has spoiled me with more "real" jewelry, three rings, an 18k gold chain and cartouche from one of his stints in one of the desert wars, and the freedom to look for vintage treasures as I like.

I'd much rather have a vintage, well-loved piece of jewelry, real or costume, than the new items I see in the stores.

I look at my well-used, worn, red, ashy hands and think, what a beautiful ring...it would have shown better on my "young" hands, but it still makes my "old" hands and eyes happy.

And when a niece admires it with a magpie glint in her eye I will take it off and give it to her. Let her young hands enjoy it now.

HeeHee, I know Santa Wes is giving me a pair of vintage late-40s, 14k gold, amethyst (my birthstone) and emerald (his birthstone) earrings for Christmas. I helped choose them, but I can't see or touch them until Christmas morning.

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

I think this is a very interesting thread, I love to hear about how other people 'do'.

Since I posted in April 2012, I've changed a couple of my habits.

I used to wear earrings *all the time*.

If I had on a tee shirt or sweatshirt & baggy britches & I was taking out the trash or working in the garden, I had my earrings on!

& I never wore necklaces.

Now, for some reason, I usually wear either but not both:
    earrings only or necklace only.

& I don't wear them when I'm digging in the garden in my tee shirt & baggy britches.

I wore rings until I was in my forties, but now my fingers don't look good with rings.

still use the good china, though!

edited to add:

I think the original post was tongue-in-cheek.

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 15:33

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

I'm not big on jewellery ...

... but ...

... have you found a way to take it with you (and get some use and enjoyment out of it if/when you do)?

ole joyful

• Lily316
    10 years ago

This is crazy. I was reading this and getting ready to comment until I came upon the comment I made back when this thread was started. It stays the same. No rings unless I'm getting dressed up, a small classic watch with leather band and two sterling silver tiny chains with a dog and cat pendent on each.

• pekemom
    10 years ago

I am 66 and, so far, usually only wear 2 rings, one on each hand..I have other jewelry... bracelets, necklaces, earrings, pins...but rarely wear them.

• daisyinga
    10 years ago

From Caroline's post above:

nothing can match the charm of diamond earrings from your Mom while she enjoys you wearing them.

I look at my well-used, worn, red, ashy hands and think, what a beautiful ring...it would have shown better on my "young" hands, but it still makes my "old" hands and eyes happy.

And when a niece admires it with a magpie glint in her eye I will take it off and give it to her. Let her young hands enjoy it now.

Caroline, you are a cutie inside and out. I've never met you, but I can tell that you are.

• pekemom
    10 years ago

I posted above that I only wear 2 rings....forgot my watch...I always wear that too..

• clubm
    10 years ago

I just wear my watch daly n yellow gold post in ears. My jewelry is in
    safety deposit box. If going to a wedding I will wear some jewelry.

• marilyn_c
    10 years ago

Orchid, how fortunate you are to have so much vintage jewelry. I go to a lot of antique shows and was surprised awhile back that so many dealers have mostly vintage jewelery. It is very, very popular now it seems. And it's getting expensive too. I love looking at it.

• Orchidllauraga
    10 years ago

I need to have it appraised, but I don't feel like hunting down an appraiser and paying for his/her service for several days just to go through all of the jewelry.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!