SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nikkidan_gw

Furniture placement..help!

nikkidan
11 years ago

Here is a scan of our great room plan of the home we just built. Nevermind all the writing and marks on it. The rooms are labled. The livingroom is about 16X16 square from the patio door to the left (not including the patio door). The green rectangles are where our furniture is currently. The red square is the 12X12 area rug (we have duraceramic floors). I still need to find a chair (or 2?) The purple rectangles is the area I'm currently working on filling in...I'm thinking a padded bench or console table (with an ottoman or 2 underneath for extra seating/storage). Or even a credenza? I don't have (or like) alot of knick knack type stuff so a glass curio cabinet wouldn't work.

Our sofa and loveseat is reclining (wall recline, so they don't lean back real far). I'd rather not have reclining furniture because it is an arranging nightmare for me, but husband insists due to a bad back. I'd really like something behind the couch if possible because there is just so much space between there and the dining/kitchen (7-9 feet of open space)...plus I'd like to not see the back of the entire sofa.

What do you suggest I put behind the couch and along the wall of the hallway? Theres about 8 feet to work with along that hallway wall...so something about 4 feet wide and no real deep would probably work.

Another option I've considered is putting the tv (it's a 60" sitting on a fireplace/media cabinet) along that short wall on the bottom, loveseat on the left wall, sofa in front of window and future chair(s) on the side where the sofa currently is. So my problem there is, if I put something behind the couch now, where will I put it if I switch to my other idea for arrangement?

I totally suck at decorating! We've been here for 10 months and I have nothing on the walls in the LR or dining yet!

So...just wondering what would look good, or if a console table, credenza, or bench would look good or bad in either of those spots, or if any of you have arrangement ideas. I'd like to keep the sofa and loveseat ON the rug so they don't slide around so much on the hard floor. I really wish I had planned out furniture placement more on the floor plan before we built. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (3)