SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdasay

Grandma's House

mdasay
16 years ago

Dear Grandpa passed the day after Christmas - very surprising and not expected, and now my sweet Grandma wants to sell the condo to move to an assisted living (she's 89). I want them to get top dollar for the place, but Grandma thinks the place is worthy of Architectural Digest! Maybe the day they bought the place in 72, but not one update has been made, except the new kitchen appliances.

How can I tell her the scroll-work wrought iron is not high fashion, the velvet wallpaper is out by about 30 years, and the oil lamp (yes, the naked ladies standing in the rain) are things that not everyone will like?

I have tried to tell her that she needs to move slowly and not make any hasty decisions, but again, I know she can't be alone - just before Grandpa died, Grandma had a dizzy spell and fell into the tub (19 stiches)! Thankfully no stroke, something akin to vertigo.

Should I just go in and tear out the wallpaper and take down the lamp? What about the wrought iron - it is so ugly, but would be a pain to remove. Just paint it? How about the carpet, should I replace and go for a nice but cheaper neutral. The place only has 7 rooms, each with different carpets ranging from dusty rose to shaggy green.

Help me get top dollar for her piece of mind and a quick sale too! Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (10)