SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheri2008

challenge/act of kindness

cheri2008
13 years ago

I was just reading more on the act of kindness post, and I thought it would be fun to challenge all of us to do one random act of kindness for a stranger, kind of pay it forward thing... then report back..

So the challenge is officially been put upon us all...

go forth and be kind to a stranger...

Comments (22)

• ntt_hou
    13 years ago

I've done this a few hours before your challenge. If this doesn't count, there'll be plenty of others to report.

A kind neighbor has been under alot of stress lately. For the past 6 months, problems have been piled up on her one after another. To cheer her up, I baked for her 2 Meyer Lemon Pies today, a favorite of her :o)

• mamatoad
    13 years ago

Yellow Squash was on sale, so I bought some extra and gave it to my 91 year old neighbor. That is his favorite vegetable.

• Related Discussions

Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness

Q

Comments (13)
    It's not hard (usually) to find a volunteer willing to take photos of gravestones at cemeteries surprisingly, though I don't do that myself. That seems to be the most popular volunteer activity. Having done extensive genealogy workups on a couple of Wikipedia subjects whose published backgrounds just didn't sound credible, I decided to volunteer in the areas I would have personally found very useful during that time. The local sources---which I've offered at Random Acts of Kindness---are old phonebooks going back to 1940, city directories from 1880 to 1944, probates, divorces, etc. (on microfilm) from the County Courthouse going back to maybe 1910, and San Francisco Bay Area newspapers going back to the 1880ties for obituaries. Fortunately for these activities, I live in the city of the county seat, so between our public library, the courthouse, the nearby LDS/Mormon Family History Center, and the commercial on-line genealogy sites such as ancestry.com & newspaper archives.com available to me, I can do---& do do---a fair bit of "ancestor sleuthing". Not everyone would be in that position. So if you sign up as a volunteer, consider all the areas of assistance that might geographically be available to you. It can be a more interesting, not to mention challenging, project.
    ...See More

random acts of kindness

Q

Comments (2)
    In years past, member mcronin sent me butterfly pavers and member Stuart_S sent moth cocoons.
    ...See More

Act of kindness!

Q

Comments (27)
    What's up with the name calling? It's kinda funny to call someone mean names for messing up a thread about kindness. Thread derailments are common in an open community like the KT. I've known real bullies and Elmer isn't one, imo. Back on topic, it makes me happy to see random acts of kindness. When my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer, she withdrew a few thousand dollars and handed out $100 bills to people who looked like they needed it, or if she just wanted to brighten someone's day. She would chat with them for a bit. They were touched, but I think it was even more beneficial to my mom! I try to follow her example.
    ...See More

A little act of kindness

Q

Comments (8)
    Aww, that was sweet. Of course, no one who saw it happen was going to buy that particular bag lol. (Love the name Fabio!)
    ...See More
  • kayjones
    13 years ago

Pastors and their family are underpaid and overworked, in most churches. Yesterday was the 4-year anniversary of my husband's death, and I wanted to honor him by doing something nice for someone, because Gary was such a fun-loving and generous man.

I went to church and prayed about how best to honor Gary's life - I ended up writing a check for $300 to our pastor, to be used by him and his family to go and do something fun, like Gary and I used to do. I felt so at peace after I gave it to him.

I would challenge others to find someone who could use an uplift in their life and bless them!

• nodakgal
    13 years ago

I don't know who it benefits or even IF it qualifies here, or if its random but it makes me feel GOOD to do.
    I'm donating blood right after lunch. I hope it helps someone!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

Paying it forward is exactly why I am on the help forums every day, helping as much as I can with computer problems, for strangers and I do it anonymously. I had some fabulous people help me in the beginning and it is only right that I continue to pay it forward and help others.

nodakgal in my book that is a HUGE one! You could be saving a life with that one.

Ignoring negative and focusing on the positive is how I view many things in life including certain forum posts. Life is way too short...

• des_arc_ya_ya
    13 years ago

I took your post to be a reminder to all of us - not a bragging testimony of how great you are.

Some people wouldn't recognize a good thing if it bit them on the butt!

I, for one, plan on doing something today and everyday that I can for someone. Not braggin, just takin' your reminder and runnin' with it. Thank you!

• carla35
    13 years ago

Yeah, I've always had a kind of unspolen rule for myself that if I tell someone about a good deed and get any kind of satisfaction from telling people I've done it, that it kind of nulifies it... not that I don't occasionally tell... I just try really hard not to discuss it.

Although I think this thread is innocent and people aren't really trying to get any credit just having a discussion.

On that note, I'll talk 'generally' about what I try to do to brighten people's day. Like, if like someone's hair color, I think their shirt is unique, or their purse is in fashion, I do try to go out of my way to pass along my positive thoughts in a way of a compliment. It may seemed kind of creepy to talk to a stranger but a "Oh, I love your earrings" or a "Where did you get that umbrella; it's so cute" really seems to brighten up people's day. I think shy people may have a harder time doing this... but if you concentrate and tell yourself to just say the positives that pop into your head, I think you'll find you will often brighten someone's day. You can even turn a bad thought into a compliment... If I see a really ugly child, I'll sometimes tell the mom the child is adorable because I have a feeling she may not hear it that much.

It's amazing how often easy opportunities to make someone's day pop up and it's amazing how good you can feel doing it. A compliment from a stranger really does mean a lot.

I'm not offering a one time good deed story to pass along, but rather a concept and way of going about your life that will bring happiness to you and others on a daily basis. I know some of you sometimes do this, but I am challenging you to do it all the time --try making it a way of life to pass along your positive thoughts. If you see two little boys behaving nicely in church, tell their parents. If you think your cashier is fast and efficent, tell her. If you love your neighbors lawn, let them know... It's endless and so easy.

• folkvictorian
    13 years ago

Cheri2008, I love your idea of folks doing acts of kindness and coming back here to report! Thank you for the challenge!

I don't mention my acts of kindness to others "in real life" but to do so here, in an anonymous environment, can only be a positive influence on others. Bravo to Ntt, Mamatoad, Kayjones, Nodak, RavenC, and Carla for your kindnesses.

I was on the receiving end of someone's kindness today -- an elderly lady held the door open for ME since I was carrying about 20-25 pounds of pennies (from our school fundraiser) into the bank . Her timing was perfect and we chatted for a few seconds about the wonderful school fundraiser. I thought my arms were going to stretch off, but it was nice to talk to a stranger.

Life is good! Let's share that goodness!

• petaloid
    13 years ago

"Who can we help today?"

That was the motto of my great aunt and uncle, who lived into their late nineties. They did untold good for others and their community.

Whether random or planned, kindness to others is key.

• JennaVaNowSC
    13 years ago

I think Cheri2008 had a wonderful idea for this thread. And I am glad that someone removed the negative comments.
    I enjoy reading all the posts and it does give me some ideas....... I think random acts of kindness don't always be for strangers. And it does not have to involve money, Anything you can do to brighten someone else's day, is a blessing to both the giver and the receiver.
    I have a friend who has PayItForward on his license plate (not sure of the exact wording since a license plate is limited to...what? 7 characers?) and it reminds me every time i see it to do something nice for someone.

Keep it going!~

• cheri2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

my goodness! I checked this thread a liitle while ago, saw those negative comments, and I must say was a little hurt, glad to see now they are removed...really this was meant as a purely positive act. I am pleased with all that have taken my challenge in that spirit !!!Thank you Jennava, that is so true "a blessing to the giver and the reciever"! I have done several smal acts of kindness during this day, none have cost me a penny. And I have some ideas I am planning when I am able to leave work...
    Have a great day everyone!

• mawheel
    13 years ago

Cheri, your idea is great. My yoga teacher uses a mantra which says "Always try to practice loving kindness toward others and yourself". That's just another variation of the Golden Rule, but it works.

I didn't see the negative posts, and am glad that I didn't. Maybe those folks need to have a random act of kindness done to them!

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

I've tried to make a habit of doing things, or saying things, often to strangers whom I meet casually during the activities of daily living with the intent of brightening someone's day.

I find that very few react at all negatively.

As for ignoring negative things, it seems to me that if there are negative things that mar our relationships with others who have an ongoing connection with us, that we should deal with them, for usually such difficulties don't steal away quietly in the night, but get worse, if left unresolved.

As for negative stuff that appears here, if it relates to me I think that I need give some thought as to whether there may be some justification for it, but usually don't feel substantially hurt by it.

If I feel that others have been dealt with improperly, sometimes I offer my support to them directly and may defend them and chastise the one who caused the negative stuff.

As a matter of factr, recently there was a situation where someone had caused some difficulty on one thread, then opened one of her own to deal with it further, but spelled a word incorrectly in the subject line, so I made some rather sharp negative comments about that, which I wouldn't have had she not instigated some trouble earlier on that issue ...

... and received a "gentle reminder" from admin that I should not make snotty comments about people's capabilities or actions, but should behave myself!

And it seems to me that in both our society and in our economic system many of us feel that we have some serious problems and issues in our part of the world to which we need to give some thought and that we need to deal with, that won't just pack their bags and quietly slip away if we ignore them.

I hope that you all have a good start on the new week.

ole joyful (most of the time)

and kindly (most of the time)

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

No random act of kindness yet today, except a bit of banter with the landlord and a new helper that he brought in to help repair the motor on his son's recently purchased old Jeep that they're refurbishing ... he said that the son should have entered it into the contest into which my friend corralled me into entering my car.

When entering the community centre, a lady held the door for me, and I said that I should hold it for her as I, being retired, have more spare time than she does.

She laughed a bit and I entered the door.

ole joyful

• teresava
    13 years ago

I don't think talking about the good deed nulifies it at all! I hope that it motivates someone else to pay it forward in their own way!

Looking back on today, mine would have been complimenting a lady about her daughter. Her daughter works at my gym and is so nice and sweet. Figured a mom would love to hear praise about her own!

I also try to compliment a stranger on something I like about them (shoes, bag etc). People have done it to me. Once was on a day I was really feeling down and this complete stranger told me what a nice smile I had! This was years ago and I still remember it! A little niceness goes a long way!

• ntt_hou
    13 years ago

Yes, I agree. This thread is for "motivation" purpose.

Today, I received kindness. As I approached to the glass doors of the store in my wheelchair , a little girl ran in front of me and opened the door with a big proud smile. I kindly thank her. Her mom had this proud face too.

I once have broken the glass doors of a store. It always made me nervous to open it when I have a lap full of items. I felt so blessed when that little girl gave me a hand.

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

Anyone ready for a retread?

ole joyful

• workoutlady
    13 years ago

That is a good reminder but my mind is blank on the good I've done today. It was just an ordinary day for me today. On the other hand I can't remember anything that I've done today that would make me ashamed. Guess that's good too.

• kayjones
    13 years ago

I stopped in the middle of the road and moved a huge turtle out of the lane of traffic, so he wouldn't get hit.

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

I mailed a box of mostly new clothes to the University of Alabama band students today. I went shopping and bought socks, jeans and other necessities along with some barely worn clothes of my own. I hope they can use them.

• sjerin
    13 years ago

Someone came by this evening, hoping to wash windows. He truly looked tired and just nodded his head and moved on when I shook my head through the window. I felt so sorry for him but there's no way I would have opened the door or even hired him to work around the outside of the house. What a shame I didn't at least offer him something to eat or drink.

• ntt_hou
    13 years ago

Yikes! Sjerin, that had nothing to do with being kind. That had to do with your safety. If it was me, I would have done the same.

We are in an economy situation that triggers more crimes and violence. It's better to be alert of our surroundings and avoid inviting crimes into our homes as much as possible.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths