SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bltma4

Layout Advice requested from newbie, on new home

bltma4
16 years ago

Thanks in advance for looking at this.

We are building a new home, not starting until Memorial Day. This is our first attempt at a Kitchen Layout. I have 4 kids (9yrs-2yrs) they will grow up in this home. I hope we will never leave it. The kitchen needs to work well for mulitple cooks and will be open to our living space. We'll have a table in the breakfast rm where we'll eat family dinners, other meals mostly at island I assume. We have a great room past the breakfast rm, which I'm assuming will be the main living/relaxing space for the family. I don't know why we need a formal dining room, just felt we should I guess . . . Garage is on the other side of the mudroom, living room will be more formal or office space or play room.

It's a new house so I suppose anything can be changed. My concerns are the following:

1. Fridge too far from Cooking zone? If it is moved to the counter by the range will there be enough counter space around the range? Other options?

2. Will the island function better with a straight line toward the range (instead of the curve it has now)?

3. Where should a microwave go?

4. If we go with a 36in range that only has one oven can I fit in a wall oven somewhere? DH wants all LP appliances to save on electricity costs, will that affect where it can go?

5. Island sink and DW placement - will they be in the way in the center of the island?

6. Pantries big enough?

I have no experience with this, all I want is a very functional, tranquil, open kitchen so I won't miss out on family time while I'm spending most of my time here (I'm not asking for much am I? :) - any advice or things that you see that might help me would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the long post, thanks for your help!

Comments (13)