SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alabamanicole

Bought a house with one of 'those' kitchens

alabamanicole
14 years ago

After spending way too much brain power on a kitchen for a house I ultimately decided not to build, I bought a house. It's got a kitchen straight off this forum. Off white painted custom cabinets, all plywood (even the draw bottoms) and full-extension drawers. 3/4" hardwood floors. All white appliances. Gas cooktop with electric oven underneath. ALL drawers on the bottom, except a lone blind corner that opens the other way. Cabinetry designed to give the modest fridge a built-in look.

I don't care for white cabinets, but so much thoughtful work went into redesigning a 1962 kitchen into something more useful -- and it's recent -- it is totally staying. After painting the walls green and suddenly realizing the butcherblock counters are actually 2" plank maple, I'm really happy with it at all even if not a single bloody cabinet is exactly the same size as any other.

I'll be organizing the cabinets and the double stainless steel sink and misguided faucet has to go. And I will need to Waterlox the counters at some point once I get the wood nicely hydrated and conditioned with oil.

But as I was lining the shelves with the Duck Brand version of Cushy Cupboards, I was chuckling and thinking about this forum. I have to wonder if the previous owner came up with all this on her own... or if somewhere in the archives is a thread asking for help with a layout...

Comments (39)