SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bestlawn

I am abundantly grateful

bestlawn
16 years ago

I hope you don't mind if I vent a little. Most of you know my business, and I mentioned fairly recently that there are times I don't want the phone to ring. I'm in the middle of one of those, and my heart is so heavy I can barely get through it. That's mainly because there is nothing I can do to repair the years of damage.

The memorial service for my nieces brother (not my nephew, long story) is tomorrow evening. Three of his four children are not going to attend. They had nothing to do with him, and they had nothing to do with the preparations. Why? Because their mother tore him down to them all of their lives. Well, that was until she passed away three years ago.

Though I donÂt know them very well, I was aware of how they felt about him. Years ago, I was told by his mother of how his wife always complained. There were the complaints of how badly he treated her. Those of him being no good. On and on for years.

His daughter had his mother (her grandmother) in tears today. Grandma was on the phone literally begging her to please be at his funeral and was crying the whole while. I couldnÂt believe my eyes or ears. Not knowing any differently, I had to wonder just how terrible this guy really was. Grandma has always been sooo good to her throughout her entire life, so how could she cause her own grandmother this much pain? I really had to wonder.

Speaking with my niece tonight gave me a totally new respect for him. She spoke so fondly of what a wonderful brother he was. She shared many things he did for her and did with her, the advice he offered her, the meals he so often cooked for her as late as last week, the love and affection he showered on her, how much she treasured their phone conversations and the time he spent with her, and how he never forgot her birthday. She reminisced him teaching her to ride a bike and in doing so, he taught her to follow through with her decisions and to conquer her fears. She said the words of wisdom he imparted she applied to life on a daily basis. This time, I was the one crying and had to wonder what kind of father he was, or rather what kind of father he could have been were it not for marrying such a pernicious woman.

I hope we all will think twice when someone is being brought down in our esteem. For some reason, we as people, especially women, enjoy that and the ooh factor because it's juicy. What is truly awful is we believe it. Children believe it, and so often one parent or both have an insatiable desire to complain to the kids. It makes them feel good to have the kids on their side with no thought for the war zone they are creating in the children's minds or how it wreaks havoc with their self esteem. These children are all adults now up to 31 years old, yet they have no idea why they hate their father. That is to say, he has never done anything to them they can express. Yet, it doesn't matter. They hate him nonetheless.

Do you do that to your children? "Your father this!" and "Your mother that!" The problem is none of it had anything to do with the children, but they are not able to see it that way.

My sister and I were talking about how grateful we are that mom didnÂt do that. She wanted away from the man who mistreated her, but she did not want her children to hate their father, so she kept the hurt and pain to herself. He was a good father to us, and we have many fond memories. We didnÂt like our home life and frankly we wanted him to leave, but we still loved Daddy. She allowed us that, and I am abundantly grateful.

Comments (13)