SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengirlnj

New inground vinyl pool bottom cracking

gardengirlnj
14 years ago

Hi, I need help with my new pool issue. We have a beautiful inground vinyl liner pool, 18x36, built by a reputable builder (I thoroughly checked them out and interviewed many owners of their pools )that is cracking on the vermiculite bottom and sides. It was built last fall and filled with water then, and the concrete decking was placed early spring. As soon as the pool was opened and cleaned early april, I saw what appeared to be large wrinkles. They sent a team to remove the wrinkles when I was at work,and they said they could not remove them all. As soon as the water was warm enough to go in, I checked out the wrinkles and realized they were indeed cracks (significant in size, one is 8 ft long)in the vermiculite under the liner. I have alerted the company and they are going to drain pool, remove liner, fix cracks and refill but are insisting they do it in August. (We have to do the draining and refilling and replace all chemicals etc.) Weather permitting it is supposed to take 3-4 days max, not including time to refill. I am sick over this as we haven't used the pool as much as we would have liked to because of the weather in June (not so great here)and we have out of town family company planned for various weeks in August just to come and staycation with us at our pool. Each week we notice some sinkage in areas around the cleaning nozzles on the floor of the pool and new cracks forming. When the pool was built, there were no soil or water issues at that time. Has anyone had this problem and how did you handle it? We are concerned that simple patching won't be enough and we have spent many backbreaking hours/days landscaping the perimeter of the pool ourselves. Not to mention the expense. I appreciate any advice you can give me. I have enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences on this site prior to building our own pool. thank you!

Comment (1)