SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_in_ga

Your last random act of kindness

stephanie_in_ga
15 years ago

I didn't buy dinner for the Belvedere Babes. ;o) But the other night I went to the grocery then to Subway to bring home sandwiches. The teen guy who bagged my groceries just minutes before happened to be right behind me, so I told the Subway guy to ring up his sandwich on me... a random act of kindness, I just bought his sandwich.

The local news station here has a running thing about doing random acts of kindness. It's cute and inspirational.

Oh, and I had one done for me. Couple weeks ago I went through McD's just for an iced tea. When I pulled up to the window they said the car in front of me already paid for my order! It was just $1 tea, but little things can really pick up your day. Made me feel good all day!

Comments (39)

• stargazzer
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There were 3 teen boys emptying out their pockets to buy something and didn't have enough. I paid for theirs. People always look so shocked when you do something like that.

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

I wanted to add the many acts of kindness done for me since last Nov 2 with my arm in a sling. always someone to open a door or just hold it for me. One man even ran to the door at McD's to open it for me and said wait in there and I will get the other door too. someone in Walmart's produce dept literally ran over to the bananas to help break a bunch apart, I was struggling to get two off. A worker at Freddie's Custard wouldn't take my money when I ordered a Sundae. When I thanked him he said his Mom always bought him ice cream when he broke his and wanted to pass it on to someone else. It really made my day. It also wants to make me wear a sling all the time. LOL

• Related Discussions

Random Act of Kindness

Q

Comments (8)
    Kate, you are so right that we all probably have a neighbor that could use a little friendship and I'm so happy that you've been inspired to visit yours. Here I have a cranky old lady next door that thinks I'm completely off my rocker to do any yard work. She says it's a "man's job" and I'm making a big mistake by doing it. LOL! We like her anyway but she has no interest in making her yard look better. There is a lady up the street that has beautiful orchids hanging in her trees and I've tried to be friendly with her but she's not very chatty. So many people just are wary and suspicious when you try to be nice to them. I am looking forward to visiting my dh's new acquaintance. ~Betsy
    ...See More

Random act of kindness today!

Q

Comments (12)
    Restores your faith in humanity, doesn't it? I've had things like that happen to me and I've also dealt with workmen who are looking to get every extra nickel. The guy who reno'd my bathroom was constantly looking for ways to add extras. It got to be a battle of the wits. He may have gotten extra money out of me then, but he lost in the long run since I do not recommend him to others nor would I hire him again, even though his work was very good. Be sure to mention their good deed to others.
    ...See More

Random Act Of Kindness

Q

Comments (29)
    Re being afraid to stop: Sometimes you just have to go with your gut. On several occasions I've seen a car stopped - sometimes on the side of the road, sometimes blocking a lane - on my short drive to/from work. The car is literally held together with duct tape and bungee cords. It's the most pitiful looking vehicle I've ever seen. There is always a man standing nearby who will be gesturing wildly, frantically trying to get someone to stop. He is genuinely scary-looking, and I do make it a point to not judge someone by their appearance (some of the wildest looking people I know are wonderful souls). However, there's something just not quite right about this whole scenario. The man's eyes are crazy and bloodshot. In the car sits at least two, sometimes three, women passengers. They all look completely derelict, and at first glance, you'd think they were just in a broken down car and asking for help. On one occasion when I saw this group, the man had managed to stop a couple in a van. I came upon them just as the person on the passenger's side was quickly rolling up the window and the van was getting out of there as fast as they could. The "wildman" spotted me and frantically attempted to flag me down, even approaching my car at a fast past. I sped off. That whole scene just reeks of scam, although a small part of me still goes out to those people who, for whatever reason, have a "need" to do what they do. Anyway, I do think that sometimes you have to gauge the situation carefully and act as your instincts tell you to act.
    ...See More

Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness

Q

Comments (12)
    Dear Ivamae: The work done by RAOGK is mostly photographing EXISTING tombstones. Some of the members do look-ups in local files, however. If your partner has a stone, it should bear the date of his birth and death. It is up to the family to purchase and have engraved a marker for a loved one's grave. They can be aided in getting data by the funeral home who conducted the burial. In answer to your question, "How do I get a name listed in the cmemtery files?", start with the cemetery caretakers. The next place to look is the court house of the county in which the deceased was buried or creamated. Be prepared to show that you are a close family member of the deceased, else the county clerk may not release a copy of the death certificate to you. Expect to pay a small fee for a copy. This information is considerd personal and confidential and is not generally put on public lists until after 50 to 100 years. Stangely enough, the Social Security Adminstration ignores this rule. I have seen persons and their social security numbers published on SSA's list within 3 months after death, my mother being one. You have to know where to look. Poke around a bit with Google.
    ...See More
  • marilyn_c
    15 years ago

Today I was on the way to Galveston to pick up a possum at the shelter. I passed an old vagrant on the side of the road.
    No houses or businesses around for about 4 miles. When I came back by, he was still in the same spot. I stopped and asked him if he was hungry. He said yes, but more than anything he would like a ride to Galveston. I told him I couldn't do that because I didn't know him, and I was going the other way, but I went to town and got him some chicken from Church's and a coke and gave him $20.

From a distance, he looked 80 years old. Up close he was about my age...long hair and beard, holes in his jeans, knees showing. He said his name was Terry and he was from California.

When I drove past, a little voice said "go back". If it had been a hurt or hungry animal, I would have helped, and I felt like I should do something for this man as well.

• dollydolots
    15 years ago

I took a fresh pan of monkey bread
    to the elderly couple next door.
    The look of sheer happiness came over
    their faces. That made me feel so good.
    dolly

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

I canned 15 bean soup today and I sent one to my neighbor because he loves beans as much as I do.

• socks
    15 years ago

On a hot day I took a Popsicle to the guy at the Salvation Army trailer. It was really nothing.

This thread reminds me to try to do more.

• ont_gal
    15 years ago

When I went to do my laundry this a.m.,one of the old lads(80) was waiting for his...he has horrific emphysema,and requires a scooter to get around-walking is almost impossible for him.

So,I put his laundry into a dryer,did mine up-when I went back,I folded his up,put mine into the dryer,and took his to his door.
    He was just coming out to get his,and was so surprised.
    I asked him if he wanted me to throw the sheets onto the bed for him,that it certainly wasn't a problem for me.
    I did that,which took a whole 5-6 minutes or so(single bed)...he was just so surprised...lol...couldnt thank me enough

The humane society where I have been putting my days in lately acquired a couple of potbelly pigs recently...having raised pigs,including potbellies for 25 yrs., and finally finding something I could relate to in this city, has had me going now,complete with the sour cream treats that they love,daily...the workers there have no knowledge whatsoever of the little pigs...the little sow is preggers and of course the little boar is her mate...not much of a random act for humans I suppose,but definitely one for the little pigs!

• sue_va
    15 years ago

This actually didn't cost me anything.

Today I turned into the parking lot at CVS and about three car lengths ahead of me was a lady who was rather heavy and so bent and struggling to walk with her walker, one small step at a time. She appeared to be elderly.

I stopped, which caused 2-3 cars behind me to stop. A driver on the other side stopped until the lady cleared that side. I have to use a cane and I could just imagine myself in a few years, having to struggle like that. I don't know what the drivers behind me thought, but I hope it reminded them to be helpful to others.

After she was safely across I parked and looked to see where she went. Bless her heart! She was struggling to get into the driver's seat of her car, and she made it!

Giving up when it takes a struggle to keep going is not an option.

Sue

• jewels_ks
    15 years ago

Last weekend we had a snow storm and the parking lots were a mess with melting snow. I was getting ready to return some movies and I saw an older lady struggling to get out of her car. I asked her if I could return her movies for her and she was very thankful. My 12 year old dd was in the car with me and even told a few people what I did. About 5 minutes later I had to pull into a church parking lot due to 2....yes, 2 flat tires. My cellphone was at home so I had to walk to someone's house and they let me use their phone to call my dh. Good things happen for a reason.

• drewsmaga
    15 years ago

Not a big deal, but I helped someone back into a parking space today. And held the door open for the person behind me coming into the stores. Told my DDIL Sat. would be OK for the GK's Easter egg hunt (even though it complicates my Sun. dinner plans.) Usual stuff I do to make someone else's life a bit easier. Pay it forward!

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

Last Christmas our church made names of nursing home residents who have no relatives available to our congregation. We received the name of a lady whom we have never met, along with a little, modest "wish list". We supplied everything on her list, and a few extras. That made us feel so good that I have been dropping off a monthly surprise for her since--a bottle of nice hand lotion, a pretty calendar, a coffee mug--and I'm enjoying it so much! It's getting harder to sneak in and drop off her gifts without being detected, though. I may have to confess and swear the activities director to secretcy!

• Granlan_TX
    15 years ago

I gave 3 Blue Moon beers to the guy across the street. My son put these in the frig at Christmas when he was here; I don't like beer.

Don't ask me what took so long. LOL

• itsmesuzq
    15 years ago

As I was bringing in the empty trash barrels last evening I noticed that the recycle blue bin next to mine was the apt building's next door. When I finished I came back out front and moved it into their area for them.

Susan

• Adella Bedella
    15 years ago

I can't remember. I routinely try to practice common courtesies like letting that car out into traffic, holding a door, or picking up and returning the money that someone dropped. I believe in the Golden Rule and try to be helpful when I can.

• wildchild
    15 years ago

I didn't post what I really thought of Michelle Obama on the other thread. ;-)

• teresava
    15 years ago

I'm not sure, but this thread is really inspiring me to find something nice to do!

Once my DH and I were behind each other going through the toll booth. I thought I'd be nice and pay for him. I asked him later and he said the attendant said nothing and he paid!! GRRR! Wonder if she just pocketed the money??

• Kathsgrdn
    15 years ago

Usually I find little things to do at work, buying playing cards for an althiemer's patient (who later told me he didn't play cards. Oh, well, I tried), he was getting bored, walking around the floor in circles. I buy sodas, snacks, newspapers for patients who don't have money.

I've never paid for someone behind me in line at a fast food place before. I never think of it while I'm in line for some reason, but it would be fun to do. I have paid for an older woman's food at McDonalds a couple years ago, she couldn't find her wallet and was so embarrassed.

• maryanntx
    15 years ago

I like to read threads like this. It inspires me to do more.
    I would like to tell you about a friend of mine who lives in another town. Someone told her about a lonely lady in the nursing home, so she decided to go see her. She was a little apprehensive at first, but once she met the lady she had a wonderful time. Now she goes to see her about 3 times a week and loves to tell all her friends about her visits. It wasn't a random act, but an act that brought her as much joy as the lady she visits.

• missindia2020
    15 years ago

Lots of us do this kind of thing routinely, but I feel it seems we are tooting our own horn if we tell. Just my $.02

• coloredthumb
    15 years ago

I didn't kill the junkie thug that knocked down and purse snatched a very elderly lady. She was walking from the ATM machine to her car when he came up to her and knocked her down. I pulled up just as the jerk grabbed her purse and started to run. I pulled my 38 jumped out and yelled "freeze" he didn't so I let one round off into the ground not him. He stopped andI called the police. The elderly lady was okay except for a few bruises and the junkie thug went to jail. I showed my CCW permit, was lectured about firearm safety but not sited for firing my weapon in city limits and let go. Seems the junkie-thug had priors and was wanted.
    CT

• Linda Wayman
    15 years ago

Sunday I was at a drive thru widow at Pizza Hut. While I was waiting I saw a little bedraggled cat looking for food by a dumpster next door. I took a couple of slices of pizza and tossed it through the wrought iron fence where the cat could easily get to it. I wanted to snatch that little cat up and bring him/her home so much, but I knew I couldn't catch him. Just walking to the fence caused him to run a safe distance away. I even rode back over there Monday with a can of tuna, but I didn't see the cat anywhere. I left the tuna there on a paper plate.

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

Well, not kindness, but my good deed for today was:

Pulling a large piece of bent up tin out of the roadway, while out cycling.

Moni

• socks
    15 years ago

That's a good deed, Moni!

I did one today too--a little lady was trying to maneuver her walker through the heavy bank doors, and I was close enough to give her a hand. I think bank employees should watch when a handicapped person comes in and give them a hand, but that probably will never happen.

See what you've started, Stephanie?? It's spreading all over!

• lindaohnowga
    15 years ago

What a wonderful post. I make and keep a ziplock bag of little treats in my purse, which I hand out to waitresses, clerks, doctors and staff members, etc....just something to brighten a person's day.

Here is an idea some of you may enjoy doing and I have crafter friends who have agreed to do it with me in their states. I have made little "You found me!" bunnies that contain a post-it note inside the card, and egg shaped cards with a decorated paper clip inside. I leave these on store shelves, library shelves, in waiting rooms, in restaurants, etc. for someone to find. The instructions say to "Take me home with you and enjoy, and if possible make some more goodies to put out for others to find."

Do not put out anything edible, as we don't take candy or gum from strangers. I put my Yahoo email addy on mine, not my regular email, just to see if anyone would let me know that they found one of the surprises. I've heard from only one person so far, who said she really loved the idea and would make some herself.

• janie_ga
    15 years ago

Remembering this thread...

This morning I asked the WV state Patrol guy in front of me if I could buy his coffee and gum. He just kept asking me "WHY?!?!". Told him that I hope someone is nice to my cousin who is a cop on GA. He finally believed me and said he would treat me next time, LOL. The lady at the counter was smiling but not quite sure what to make of it! I did mention to him (after he agreed to let me pay) that I had met two of his coworkers on the interstate and both were very nice- he got a kick out of that. LOL

• cathyhudd2
    15 years ago

My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, she cleans offices for a living. My brother and his wife and me cleaned them for her while she was going thru chemo and when she had surgery. She was able to pay her bills. It felt good!!

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    15 years ago

Everytime I visit my Mom in the NH, I spend time with the other people in her wing. It helps me as much as it helps them.

• cynic
    15 years ago

I had to think since I don't really consider it a RAOK since things like an occasional gift for someone I know wants or needs something, especially when I find it on clearance or something. My sister took me out for lunch for my birthday a while back and that day I couldn't resist a deal on dish soap. I didn't really need it but couldn't pass it up. We talk about anything and everything, plus we haven't really talked much for several months (long, sad & irritating story) and she mentioned she was out of dish soap and asked if I knew who had it at a good price. Well I knew I didn't need a 30oz bottle since I had plenty at home so I gave it to her. I just think of it as a courtesy, much like holding a door for someone, waving someone else through the intersection who appears to be in more of a hurry than I am. I just think of that as an obligation of life.

I did receive an act of kindness the other day though. I was at Target and picked up several things on clearance (a couple were destined as "no reason" gifts since they were so cheap, and while waiting to check out someone came up behind me and just instinctively I pushed everything of mine up closer to the cashier, condensed it down and put one of the order separators behind my stuff. The lady I think was surprised and I was equally surprised when she sincerely thanked me. I said you're welcome, it's my pleasure and chuckled. I felt good but didnt't think much more. Then after checking out, I left my wallet on the counter when signing the CC reader. I NEVER do that! I am usually SO careful and double check before walking away, but it was a flake out time. So I was looking at the extra receipt the cashier gave me and I heard "SIR! SIR!!! You forgot your wallet! Here, I'll bring it to you!"

Karma? I don't know. Sometimes, good things come back for even the smallest thing. And it so happened I had been to the bank and got some cash so my wallet had over $300 in it, plus my credit cards. It was a good day. Somehow, I didn't have as much pain leaving the store. I thought about how fortunate I was that someone was that honest, and kind.

I like the idea of the nursing home gifts. My thought is to give them the gift of company occasionally too. Talk to them, what a wealth of information and stories they often have to share! Not patting myself on the back but back when I had the store there was this little old guy who came into the store with computer trouble. He was in his 80s and his wife had recently died so his kids bought him a computer to keep in touch more easily with email. He asked if he could hire someone to come teach him a few things and I said sure, but he did't have to pay me for it. I SO enjoyed going over and talking to him. I did this once a week for probably 4-6 weeks and we'd work on something different each time. First was email, then work on finding some of his favorite news sites, then other interests and how to search for things. He had problems remembering things (which I assured him he wasn't alone there!) and had a notebook and took notes! Good for him. Then we'd just chat and have a good time together. What a great guy. I know he was lonely, with just losing his wife, kids and family all out of state, he couldn't drive and such. But it always made me feel so good when someone older would take up the computer. There's no reason not to.

And when we were at Old Country Buffet (or as I call it "The Hog Trough") a few weeks ago I saw this young gal who has worked there for quite a while and she makes it a JOY to go there. Most all of the employees there are very good to great but she is exceptional. She has an incredible work ethic for being so young and really tries to make your visit enjoyable. On the way out she and the manager were talking and I have no idea what it was about but as I passed I stopped and said "You have a GREAT employee here, hope you realize what a good worker she is!" She got a shocked look on her face, turned red, but just beamed. I didn't think it was anything really special. To me it was a statement of fact.

I guess I have always really believed that giving is better than getting. And often time is a great gift. In a way, it probably is since it's something you don't get reimbursed for but what you sometimes get in exchange for it is great. And a courtesy or a compliment can go a long way. Maybe it will make this a better world in which to live. I sure hope so.

OK, I'm through with my dissertation! :)

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

Couldn't think of one at the beginning of the thread, though I try to do such things fairly frequently.

Pulled a truck tire tread lying right beside the traffic lane on the freeway farther off into the ditch ... several times.

A local guy has started a business, "Tagged by Kindness".

He plans to take it to schools as a fund-raising project, with students to sell the folders for $5.00 each, and they keep $2.00? They think that this will be a welcome variation from the students selling chocolates, etc., especially near Christmas.

Has a small folder inviting people to, "Join the Worldwide Game of Tag! ... You're it!". Inside are a couple of cards like credit cards, with "You've been Tagged by Kindness!" on one side and "You're It!" on the other side, with a code number and their website address, "www.taggedbykindness.org" on it.

The person buying the folder goes to the website to register his/her email address and the code number on the two cards in the folder. Then s/he does a random act of kindness for someone, then gives them a card. The recipient is invited to give a random act of kindness to someone, then go to the website to make a report, using the code number.

The agency will send an email to the giver, telling him/her what the recipient had done, and where. A record will be established of the travelling, wherever in the world, of each card.

They are interested in offering the folders to various fundraising groups, as well.

ole joyful

• mtnwomanbc
    15 years ago

mscsippy's cat story reminded me of a RAOK I did 4-5 years ago. A local elementary school had closed due to budgets and attendance -- the school was a couple miles out of town, so the school was consolidated with the larger one in town.

In August/September that year, I was at the school to vote on something since it is used as an election precinct. Upon walking around the school (very nice, new construction, such a shame it was closed), I came upon a very hungry semi-feral cat. Nearby empty cat food cans were evidence that someone was coming by every now and then to feed it, but not very often. I started coming by at least every other day to leave a can and a bowl of dry food in a somewhat protected area. In time, I worked up a schedule on a calendar so that other visitors would know when the cat had been fed. Custodial workers removed the signs several times, but I persisted. At times the cat would come towards me, but never close enough to pet. In time it seemed content to hang out at the end of an 8 foot bench, with me at the other end.

In November, while feeding the cat, I ran across a mother and daughter -- the mother, Katy, told me about the cat -- she had been the school mascot and she was named "Banshee", and until the school closed she had been taken care of by the school custodian, who of course no longer worked there. Winter was upon us by this time, so, since Banshee had once been a sociable cat, Katy and I decided to try and capture her and find her a home.

It was quite an endeavor, with two tries over two days no luck at all. We had luck on the third try, with some subterfuge in getting Banshee into the cat carrier, but we did it. We took her to a vet and paid for vaccinations and Feline Leukemia test/vaccination. Thank goodness she had already been spayed. After spending $100 or so on getting her up to snuff, which neither of us could really afford at the time (she a single mother, me unemployed), I took her home, tried to bath her (no go), and sequestered her in a bathroom since my two cats would NOT have been happy to make her aquaintance. They were VERY curious though.

I put an ad in craigslist seeking adoption of this wonderful cat who would require some long needed TLC. After a couple of inquiries, I found the right couple who would give her the time needed to completely socialize her again.

I know I can do more for my fellow human, but somehow helpless animals need our attention too.

• auntnete
    15 years ago

How sweet of everyone. Traveling a few months ago when going through a toll we were told our toll was paid by the car in front. That touched me so much that every time we go through the toll now (maybe twice a month) we pay $5 so the 4 cars behind us get that same feeling.
    We signed up to help children whose mothers are in prison during the holidays. We 'adopted' 2 children, were given their ages, likes and a budget. The end of Feb. I was having a really bad day. I checked the snail mail and thought ..'great..more junk'. To my surprise it was a thank you note from the grandmother of those children. It took a while to get to us because it had to through so many channels. It is one of the most touching letters I have ever read and will keep it forever,.

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

Thank you, all, for these kindly gifts that you've offered ... and been offering.

Now, with so much financial uncertainty and worries around and so many looking for work ... or wondering whether they can keep their home ... or the value of their pension, it seems to me important that we make an effort to smile and perhaps give a word of greeting to many that we meet - many need a ray of sunshine brought into their lives on any given morning.

And there's a bonus: when you make an effort to be friendly, kindly and upbeat ...

... it lifts your own spirits, even though you may have been feeling somewhat down and blue, yourself.

Smile at every third person that you meet - at least a third of them will wonder what mischievous scheme you've been up to!!

Have yourselves a lovely, friendly, healthy, uplifting week, everyone - as prosperous as possible, under the circumstances!

ole joyful

P.S. I hope that the O P meant my "most recent" rather than the stated " ... last act of kindness ...",

... as I wasn't figuring on dying today or tomorrow ... or putting off doing such an act, postponing doing an act of kindness, in order to delay doing my "last" one, thus perhaps to postpone my own death!!

Who says that precision of language isn't important??

o j

• bluejeans4ever
    15 years ago

I am leary about talkng about random acts of kindness as I think you should be humble and not talk about them.

Having said that I have loved reading about them here! Makes me want to do more.

One small random act I do is when I go to a certain grocery store that has coin shopping carts to encourage people to return their carts so they can get their quarter back.

Instead of returning the cart to get my quarter back I give it to a passerby and they are always so happy!! Now the funny/coincidental thing is, nearly every time I go to that grocery store someone will either give me their cart or I find a cart that is unchained (a free cart so to speak) so I rarely have to dig for a quarter. When I'm done with the cart I give it away. A little thing, but it's so cool.

A humourous side note. I find that most people will probably walk over a quarter that is left on a sidewalk, either because they don't see it, it's too dirty to pick up or they just don't feel like it. BUT for a cart exchange they will always take their cart back to get their quarter. There is something about having to pay for a cart that makes people return them to get reimbursed.

BJ

• vannie
    15 years ago

If you list your RAOK, what does that do to humility, which is the attitude in which RAOK should be done. I try to be kind and caring b/c I know most people are carrying a load of problems around, but I'd hate to get to the point I actually told about them.

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

I let everyone I knew who used to post to our aol boards that they were up. there is no general notification board I don't know how long they will stay up but it is nice to see old cyber friends again . It would be like the KT going down for weeks and not knowing if they will ever come back

• auntnete
    15 years ago

I was hesitant about posting afraid that it would no longer be a RAOK but I read the other posts and got ideas, maybe the same by me posting mine.

• stephanie_in_ga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vannie, is that really a question, or an assumption and a scolding? Anonymity is not a condition of humility. I believe we can share these experiences in a spirit of goodwill and inspiration and still have humility about them. I don't know what else to say. I feel like the purpose of your post was to scold the rest of us for our lack of humility. So I have to speak up and say that's not only unfounded, it's missing the spirit of the post and the stories shared here.

I was charmed by the concept of the website where you can trace your RAOK card. It really is "a small world afterall" when you can see how your actions really do affect others for the better in a chain reaction. It's hard to teach that to kids, but seeing it that way would be a good lesson.

Thank you to everyone who shared their stories. I like the sharing. It's inspirational. It's one thing to be merely polite to others, but to be truly, generously, unconditionally kind is something else. It's good to talk about it and have our own light rekindled by the actions of others.

• Kathsgrdn
    15 years ago

I agree Auntnete, it's not like we went on Oprah and got awards and pats on the back for being "good". We're just "sitting around The Table" talking about little things we've done and giving each other ideas that would be fun to do. Plus, not too many of us know each other in person so it's pretty anonoymous still.

• cynic
    15 years ago

I suspect a lot of people do these things with good intentions, and not looking for recognition and in many cases not even thinking it's an act of kindness. As I said, to me much of this is simply the way people SHOULD live their lives. Don't see any of the posts yet who have stated something they did as bragging in any manner and to me that's the key. I'm more suspect of thinking it'll somehow "curse" the effort if one shares an idea or two.

My pets have done various acts of kindness for me over the years. I don't think they had a scheming intention either.

So often it's the little things in life that can be the best and often the most overlooked. Ever let someone go ahead of you in line or someone let you go? Wave someone through an intersection? Actually LOOK at someone in the elevator and say hi? Compliment someone's child, pet, outfit, car or whatever they obviously feel good about? I guess there could be a case made for it being somehow greedy or self-centered if you do something for someone to make yourself feel good. I guess the intent of the deed determines the greed.