SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vegasmom_gw

Decision time...glass tile in spa?

vegasmom
16 years ago

I'm new at posting here but some of you may be familiar with our current pool project. (see post 'Pool Pics, Narrow Yard')

We have a 3 sides infinity edge raised spa going in, and I am rather stuck on making a decision with where to put the tile. Would love some opinions...

I have a 5/8" glass tile that we are using on the 3 sides on top of the spa wall. We were also thinking of using it on the bench seats inside the spa. PB's are in disagreement with each other (LOL) One says to bring it all the way down the inside wall, too. The other says we can stop it 6" down the inside of the wall (if we don't put it on the benches) I am not sure what to do, other than I know I want it on the top of the wall, where the water flows over.

Here are my concerns:

Will the tile on the bench make it too slippery, ie..will it be hard to 'grip' the seat when the jets are on. Crazy way to put it, but I think you understand :)

The rest of the pool is white plaster and I don't want the color of the water too different in the spa. (I especially don't want green water) If we were to carry it down and across, what does that do to my water color? The only plaster would be on the bottom, and then it would seem we should just tile the whole spa. Tiles are lt. silvery blue, but have hints of pale green (grout will be grayish blue)

If we decide we don't want it on the bench (DH thinks it's a mistake) stopping it 6" down the inside of the wall is going to give me a band. I'll see it under the water and I think it'll bother me. Because the spa is plaster, how much do I need to 'wrap' it over? Would 2" be sufficient? Seems like it would be less noticeable. I posed this ? to the PB and his feeling was 6" is better.

Everything else was pretty much a no brainer up to this point. I am really stumped! Most of the photos I've seen either show an all tile spa, or the tile is close in color to the finish (pebble tec) and it blends.

Here is the best pic I could find of the tile: #6 looks close to the sample I have:

Here is a link that might be useful: glass tile

Comments (2)