SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skrepka_gw

Relocating from NYC to Florida - Update

skrepka
17 years ago

Hello everyone.

I was surprised that my thread from almost a year ago got pulled up to top again. I do appreciate all responses, however, the information I posed last March has changed.

So here is the update:

We are definitely moving. Thanks for the information I got here last spring about Florida, we did some more research. We decided that Orlando will suite our needs better then Miami. We moved our time line up. We will be moving this summer, hopefully. We have talked to recruiters in Orlando area and it seems like DH should have no problems finding a job with little or no pay cut. Yey. This spring, he will start looking for a new job there while still working here in NYC and finishing his MBA. He will be done with school this May. Assuming he has a job offer some time this spring, we will go down their and look for a house to buy. From our research, there is no lack of inventory for what we are looking for. If all cards play right, we will be moving this summer. Wish up luck.

Through last spring and summer we did a lot of research. We decided that Seminole county will be our destination. Good schools, nice area. Close to attractions. Close to downtown Orlando. Not too far from Maitland, which is good for us since that is where JCC is. This past August we wend down there to look at houses for research purposes. Looked in Longwood, Oviedo, and Casselberry. We narrowed down to those cities based on our research on the housing market. Once there, we liked Oviedo the best.

We have specific needs for our future house that we hope to be able to find. We need 4/2 with a separate living room that can be converted to an office. After looking at several two-story houses, we decided that we want a ranch. We need a decent size pool (no round, no kidney shape, has to be long), covered, with Florida room or back patio. Due to small children we need to be able to separate the pool from the patio. We want around 2000 sq. ft.

So looking in our price range ($350K), we saw some that we liked a lot, and some that we did not. Some floor plans we found a bit strange, like for example where 4th bedroom connects to the master suite. Why would I want to share my private bathroom with guests? Other did not have separate dining room/living room, which means we cannot close off the living room for an office, and we don't need a formal living room. And secondary bedrooms are not big enough where we can combine guest room and office in one room. These rooms are anywhere between 10x11 and 11x13 (that we saw), and once we put a queen size bed in there we cannot have functional office (we need more room then just pay bills). I was very disappointed in kitchens that we saw. I am guessing that these were all builder grade kitchens with little functionality. The look of them I did not like either as I like very contemporary/sleek kitchen, but that is just a matter of taste. However, the lack of deep drawers, stove hoods that vent outside, generally small cabinets, etc. was disappointing. So kitchen will probably have to be redone once we get settled.

Also, we looked in new and older developments. We decided that we like houses that about 10-15 years old. Developments are established. No new constructions. Greenery has matured. Lots are bigger , around 1/4 acre. In new developments we saw a lot of tiny lots that barely fit the house on it. With the pool, you have no back yard.

Overall though we are in love with the area. Cannot wait to get down there. And are really hoping that things will work out for us as planned.

Thanks to everyone who posed on me old thread as that provided wealth of information and good research point.

Skrepka

Comments (22)