SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Clairdo2, I had my colonoscopy and . . . .

alisande
16 years ago

. . . . the whole thing was a lot easier than I'd anticipated, so I thought I'd pass along what worked for me.

I chose the MiraLax prep on my DR's recommendation (my GYN nurse recommended it, too). The instructions said to mix it with Gatorade, but I was told I could use anything so I mixed it with 1/3 electrolyte water (Smart Water) and 2/3 apple juice. There was a total of a half-gallon to drink, and I drank it in two hours with no problem. It wasn't thick, and it tasted fine. It wasn't even refrigerated, as my fridge was still broken at that point.

The rest of the time I constantly drank white grape/peach juice diluted with Smart Water, alternating with hot broth. Looking for ways to add a little protein, I dissolved gelatin in broth a couple of times. Would have done it more often, but I only had two envelopes of gelatin.

I felt better and less hungry than I thought I would. By the end of the day I had major joint pain and weaknessÂcould barely make it up the stairs to bedÂbut that was my only complaint, really. I'm guessing it was related to my autoimmune issues. I got a good night's sleep, and my friend picked me up at 9:45 the next morning.

My appointment was for 10:30. Lot of preamble stuff, and then the procedure took place about an hour later. They used the anesthesia Diprivan, and it gets my vote! It's a general anesthesia, and I was fully asleep. I even had a nice dream. But when they were done I was awake and feeling fine. No hangover or blurry feeling. Best of all, no nausea, which I'm prone to with anesthesias. As soon as I was discharged I took my friend out to lunch.

Hope this was helpful. You'll do great.

Susan

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz