SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john1950_gw

KD ordered particle board instead of plywood

John1950
13 years ago

. I ordered frameless kitchen cabinets with plywood carcasses(birch veneer interior) and the kitchen designer made a mistake and ordered them with particle board carcasses (melamine interior). The KD is willing to reorder the carcasses in plywood and move the doors from the particle board carcasses to the plywood carcases or I can keep the cabinets as they are and I will be refunded the plywood upcharge.

The particle board is from a source in Oregon:internal bond 95PSI, 2400psi mor; 400,000psi moe; face screw holding 250lb; screw holding edge 220lb.I think it is an M-3 industrial particle board.CARB CERTIFIED.

The plywood is from China. internal bond 105psi, 5103 psi mor; 720,000psi moe; face screw holding 302psi; screw holding edge 243psi. It is 7 ply. It has 9.6 % moisture content. formaldehyde emissions are 1.04mg/L. CARB CERTIFIED

Can you comment on my predicament and tell me what you would recommend. Is it problmatic moving the doors from the particle board carcass to the plywood carcass? Is this a good quality particle board? Should I worry about moisture /flooding with the particle board more than the plywood? Which is the better material for frameless cabinets the particle board described above or the plywood described above. If I keep the cabinets as they are with the particle board should I have the KD replace the sinkbase and toe kicks with the plywood product.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

THANKS FOR YOU HELP

Comments (23)