SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raenjapan

New construction--pool almost touching the house?

raenjapan
15 years ago

We're planning our new home, and are thinking of putting in a small pool under a porch area of the house, maybe a foot or two away from the exterior wall. There are a couple of reasons we're considering this:

1. The house will be in a heavily wooded area (in Arkansas, if it matters), with huge white oak trees everywhere. I'm loathe to cut any more down than we have to, so there are going to be trees next to the pool. If we put the pool under an overhang of the house, this would help keep most of the leaves out. Having the pool covered would also help keep it cooler in the summer.

2. If we had it under the porch overhang, we could install those pull down screens around it and keep the horseflies/mosquitoes, etc, out. Horseflies are a menace there--I grew up in the area and they often drove us out of the pool.

3. We just think it would look cool, and that we would use it more if it was RIGHT THERE, so to speak.

I also see some potential problems with this plan, the biggest being issues with evaporation and moisture damage. How big of a problem would this be, and could adequate air circulation fix it?

Would we have problems with the construction in general?

Building codes are not a problem, it is a rural area and we don't even have to get a building permit to start construction.

The house will be on a crawlspace foundation. The pool would be about 12' square (just a place to get wet and hang out) and about 4' deep. (The way I picture this is it being a mostly-above-ground pool, built up to the level of the floor of the house so that it would integrate with the decking coming off the house.) We don't have kids. We would also like to have one of those retractable covers installed, and possibly if it's feisable to heat it in the spring and fall.

So, what am I not thinking of? Is this a bad idea?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH