SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

not exactly about buying or selling

I have a new neighbor -- this couple moved in in August. We are in a neighborhood of small older homes with lots about 55 feet across--the houses can be as close as 15- 20 feet, depending on how they are placed on the lot; because the street curves a bit, most houses are not place exactly parallel to the side lot lines but are oriented to the street. Sometime in the past (well before the 15 years that I've lived here) the neighbors on either side of my house put up fences in the back yards, one also extending into the front. Now, I never realized that the fences do not follow the property lines exactly, but parallel the houses--that looks right. I and previous neighbors always went with the fence lines being the property line, front & back. However, my new neighbor has made me aware that our joint property line extends at an angle into "my" front yard, ending about 18" more or less farther over towards me at the street than I had thought. After looking at the map I see that the same applies to the opposite side of my yard--my property line is farther into that neighbors' yard than either of us believed. It also seems to be very important to him--although through the fall he did not mow or rake that small strip between the actual property line & his driveway, and in past years I have repaired the underground pipe that carries water runoff from the french drains in my back yard to the street and maintained the outlet to the gutter (which is technically on his side of the line)--he now seems to be making an issue of that corner of the lot being "his" corner---placing all his trash there, wondering why I put out my yard waste can on "his" corner, even when he did some renovation in his house he put all the debris on the sidewalk in front of my house (over halfway across my lot, too!) but none in front of his own house, on the other side of his driveway. Frankly I think that this is really odd. Why do you think this matters to him? On the opposite side of his lot, he has the same situation, with that neighbor actually owning some of "his" front yard in the same way--and I know that that owner has always treated it as belonging to the house that it is in front of. Likewise on the other side of my lot--turns out their fence crosses onto my property, but I don't care! It would look weird if it followed the property line & it is only a small bit of frontage, one or two feet. I just don't quite know how to address this. I suppose that legally he is in the right, but if the exact boundary is so important to him, why does he distribute all his trash cans etc over the line in front of my house? By the way, the yard waste can was there ONCE as it was the closest point to where I was picking up downed sticks & such. And I do not have any personal property or structures or mess impinging on his land.

Comments (19)