SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilmbg

do any of you know who I could contact-

ilmbg
15 years ago

I guess this is this week's gripe.

Abuse of Food Stamps.

I was in the grocery store today. Ahead of me was a woman with two small children- about 3 and 4 years old.

And guess what was in her cart- I took notice on purpose,

2 liter bottles of Pepsi

Lay's potato chips

Oreo cookies

a brand name catshup- forgot the name- NOT store brand

several large pizza's- again name brand

several boxes of frozen snacks- name brand-

cheap white bread- 2 loaves

canned fruits- name brand

Spaghetti'o's

store brand toilet paper

store made donuts- 2 boxes

bottles of Welch's grape/cranberry juice

other things that I have forgotten- name brand

I see this time and time again- and it just pi!ss's me to no end that the people that we are paying food stamps for are able to buy name brand instead of store brand

I certainly do not want any person/child to go without food by any means- but buying name brand when store brand is available should not be allowed.

I wonder how much money our state of Wyoming- and all other states would save if Food Stamps were only for store brand items?

Also- candy, pop, Kool-Aid type foods are not essential or even good for anyone. If state aid wants to help people they certainly are not doing it by giving them crap food like this!

And yes- this woman was VERY obese! Her children were slightly obese.

I know that not everyone does this- I am sure there are people who do make the Food Stamps stretch-so no nasty comments please- this is not meant for you.

I talked with the cashier about this- she said that she can always tell when a 'Food Stamp' person is buying- even before they bring out the card! The cart that is piled with high cost and junk foods!

I was reading online a report that was done regarding people with/without Food Stamps and obesity. Food Stamp people tend to be more obese by quite a bit according to the graph. Also, Food Stamp people do not 'see' themselves as obese even when they are VERY obese.I wouldn't think you can blame 'uneducated' on this- there are both educated and uneducated on Stamps.

I am furious that the states are encouraging obesity via Food Stamps!! Either the amount of Stamps should be decreased, or both stipulations must be met: store brand only, and NO unessential foods!

There will be somebody here that will jump up and scream "I DESERVE that food!! It is my RIGHT to have it GIVEN to me!! That is the person who DOESN'T need the foods, I'm sure.

Food Stamps are meant to HELP you along- not give you everything!!

Our country is in such bad shape- both figuratively and financially- and even though this is just a very, very small percentage- it does contribute to our woes.

Food Stamps are supposed to HELP- NOT help make you obese!!

Thanks for listening- I guess I will have to find out who to write to- hopefully enough of us will wake up both the government and the 'takers'- this is abuse- of our economy and abuse of our children!

Comments (82)

• stargazzer
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I didn't know they had rules like that. I thought they were for food of any kind, no non food items. I think they need to have to show ID when using food stamps, because people do sell their food stamps and borrow money from family to get buy when they get hungry. You can not make people eat healthy.

• susan_on
    15 years ago

I'm a social assistance administrator in Canada. Toni is right, you would probably be pretty aggravated if you knew MORE about what is going on with the system.

We don't have food stamps here but we have a basic needs budget for food and personal needs. If you require a special diet your physician completes a form and you are allotted extra funds- if the doctor feels you need ensure or if you are diabetic, for example, more funds are issued. There are also financial incentives to finding part time or full time employment.

There is a service right in the building where we are housed where people can learn to budget and plan meals, along with many other important skills. We have an extremely difficult time getting people to attend these programs, and can only get them to register if we make it mandatory (which we have the right to do), but even then they miss classes all the time and are late frequently. When they do show up they make it clear that they do not want to be there. That is the norm, not the exception.

There are many wonderful people who are on the system who will only be on it for a relatively short time. But there really ARE a lot of people who cheat the system, and who show no desire to exit social assistance. And I do know what it's like to be in that position- I was raised in an extremely dysfunctional and violent household, where mental health problems also existed. I was on social assistance for 1 year when I was young, as my mother abandoned or threw out 5 of her 7 children when they were still young (teen aged or younger). Just about anything dysfunctional that could have happened to us kids, did happen.

My point is, that you can only use a poor upbringing, or your unfortunate circumstances for so long before you have to take responsibility for yourself. There are enough supports and services out there (in this community) for people who want to improve themselves, to be able to do so. I did it, and I'm not special. I also work with many coworkers who used to receive social assistance, and many of my clients have moved on to better things. I've met many individuals, who have impairments of all kinds- mental and physical- who are very motivated to work, and they only pass through our office briefly when they have an illness or injury or something. And then I see perfectly heathy people who just will not work or look for work. Two separate clients told me that on Wednesday, and I will soon be applying a penalty to their cases (as the issue of possible barriers for them has been explored and ruled out).

I don't know if the shopper in the OP is someone who is taking advantage of the system or not, as there is not enough information to determine that. But just because there are people who use the system (food stamps included) properly; does not mean there aren't plenty of people who take it as a free ride, or even outright abuse it. I find fraud routinely-usually a minimum of 2-3 times a week, and I only have a caseload of 123 now. I always wonder what I would find if I had more time to look. But I spend most of my time trying to get people motivated somehow to stop thinking that being on social assistance is a lifestyle, instead of a bridge to better things. It's a constant struggle that takes up most of my time and energy.

• Related Discussions

Do you know who I am?

Q

Comments (18)
    It looks like the throat on ALPINE MIST is green at the bottom and NIGHT DREAMS stays a golden yellow. I still think it might be NIGHT DREAMS based on that, I don't see any green in throat on my photo (and of course there aren;t any blooms to look at today). Thanks again for all the opinions! Alexa
    ...See More

Do you know who I am?

Q

Comments (19)
    Are there any indications that multiflora is more 'apt' to host the RRD vector mites than any other rose or is it the case that is has acted as a spreading medium just because of its, man mediated, abundance in the eastern US (a fact which led to the purposeful attempt to control it by introducing the dreaded virus and its vector)? This must be a prime example of a double failing of human attempt at controlling nature... first purposefully spreading the introduced 'weed' then attempting to eradicate it by introducing something doubly vicious..
    ...See More

Who do I contact for some electrical work?

Q

Comments (3)
    A licensed electrician is required (legally) for some of the work, anything that involves actually touching electrical cable. You could, potentially, save some coin by hiring a lower-cost person to do the installation of the fans, luminaries and maybe even junction boxes, but that has to be coordinated with the electrician in this situation because you have to be sure that the cable can be installed the way you expect it to be. (You don't want to have an orphaned fan in your ceiling). Do be sure that the fans have proper support if replacing existing luminaires. Unless there is already a junction box there that is designed for later addition of a fan, you can't just stick one on there. An experienced and clever electrician that likes to do work in existing homes will have lot of tricks up his sleeve to getting cable to where you need it without causing a lot of damage that needs to be repaired. See what two or three say when you give them your proposal. It appears that you have enough work proposed to make it worthwhile to get more than one bid.
    ...See More

Who do I contact? Or find plant specific details?

Q

Comments (5)
    Just to be clear, the ESA prohibits you from killing it (which you no doubt already know) or destroying its habitat. Therefore it does to some extent regulate the use of private property, but it does not give the gov't any authority to 'take' your land. According to one trustworthy source I saw, about 80% of land with endangered species is privately held. Is this plant federally endangered, or endangered in the state of Florida? Surely there is a state agency in FL related to conservation. Let's look.
    ...See More
  • chubby_rat
    15 years ago

I know there are people that really need help....food stamps,medical,dental,and I don't begrudge them one thing they get.I DO have a problem with the freeloader at work though.I asked her straight out how the he!! she gets food stamps when I KNOW how much money her and her 'friend" make together.She told me she lies and cheats "like everyone else" I can't even talk to her about it,I would get fired for sure! LOL! She seems proud of the fact that she gets between 3 and 400 a month free.Drives her 2008 car into the welfare office and lives in a brand new(but rented) 900 dollar a month house.They eat steak most nights,bought with food stamps at the pricey meatmarket.Only place she'll buy her meat.....but yet can't afford to go in with the rest of us for a pizza delivery,wants us to pay her share....just makes me ill to hear her talk...

• coloredthumb
    15 years ago

Food stamps are usually a supplement to what you have left after calculating your monthly income minus the bills you pay and the qualifying expenses you have are subtracted. The is a top amount per person I still believe the most a single person gets is $136.00 If you are a single mother of two children and make say $1,000.oo a month pay rent $750 elec is an allotted amount $100.00 as is telephone $27.00 transportation say $60.00 general household and clothing $25 (oh yeah that a lot to keep a home clean and growing kids in just shoes and underware!)
    Adding up to $962.00 leaving $38.00 dollars in Moms pocket. Give Mom an allotted FS amount of $98.00 each child $136 for an approx allottment of $370.00 + the $38.00 left inpocket for a total of $408.00 to feed herself and her children for a month. Oh wait you think they don't need TP, tooth paste, deoderent, shampoo, body soap, tooth brushes, and some of those daily hygiene things most of us have become accustomed to having. They are, after all WELFARE recipients and don't deserve such things Right? Oh My Goodness I forgot Mom really only has to feed her kids once a day if she can qualify for more help! Now in most areas there are programs in schools that have a breakfast and free lunch for children from low income families! Those meals for the most part are disgusting high sugar, high carb not nutritional loaded with processed crapola foods that I wouldn't consider feeding to pigs. So if the schools can feed the kids Garbage food in the cafeteria how can anyone chastise the Mom's for the same thing.

Food stamps are now on a plastic card like credit cards not the coupons of old that could be sold to anyone. It isn't that easy to get cash for Food Stamps. Come on I would think most of you would show compassion to most of these people. Not many people want to be homeless, jobless or working hard to have a home and not able to afford anything else like food for the kids. Do You really want to begrudge someone a bag of chips to snack on while watching TV. I do hope you are never placed in a position to need FS assistance. I'm lucky so far in this hard times I have a job and I'm squeaking by & tightening the belt more everyday. Eating isn't really necessary everyday and I can use a piece of vinyl sample to keep the hole in my sole covered so my feet stay clean and dry.
    I'm offering my apologies now for this rant.
    Not all of you deserve the sarcasm here but please take it with a grain of salt. I'm tired of dealing with mean spirited, greedy, nosy, pampered pompous people with delusions of grandeur, an over rated self worth and a better than thou attitude. If they really want to complain about waste of tax payers money then go look at the corporate bailouts and how that money is being spend.
    CT

• Toni S
    15 years ago

You can say what ever comes off the top of your head, we're a free country.

I know what we have for free lunches and breakfast at my school. My kids and all the kids eat the same lunch together. Free or supplemented lunches are still same lunches that every child or teacher eats. In our schools, I give lunches an A for nutritional value, a B for taste. The kids also have options to eat yogurt and cheese, with a salad or to eat a sandwich of the day and a salad. I've done cafeteria duty plenty of times to tell you these two times of the day are some of these kids' best times they will eat. In a few months there will be a back pack program through our school for a couple more meals to be sent home for these kids. yea, they get to eat more PIG food as CT described, over the weekend. Thank goodness they do too.

It seems alot needs to be addressed with the food stamp/ welfare system.
    I know several woman that were in my nursing class many years ago that were on welfare and food stamps. They had several other programs they used to help them get by. Not easy and for some it was humiliating, but every single person made it and entered the job field! Their whole attitude changed when they felt good about their abilities to make life change. They were self confident and happier. (although some loved the life of chaos)
    So for the person who is clearly able to get back into the job scene eventually or just has a low pay job, food stamps shouldn't be so good they don't ever want to be rid of it. But on the other hand no one should suffer hunger so bad, they are sick. That's why making good choices during tough times is so important. It's not easy, it's hard to live off bear minimum. I'm talking about able bodied people, with a good mind. Handicapped, elderly, work disabled people, mentally impaired are on a different scale. I'm not thinking it's making them any happier but there is a difference. I think that's why it's so hard to discuss this subject, we're all thinking from a point in the big circle. From our experiences which only cover a small portion of the total truth.
    CT if calling people names when you don't even know the people your talking too makes you feel better, then you have your own problems. I have a feeling that you are sadly mistaken in your assumptions.

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

Were I to milk the system in the ways that you describe, I'd have to quit shaving, for I couldn't look myself in the mirror in the morning.

On the other hand, earlier for my personal reasons/interests and later as a personal financial advisor, and more so as during almost all of those years I didn't have income from commission on financial products that I sold, as I didn't sell any: considered it somewhat of a conflict of interest, I learned about various ways that people could use the tax rules to minimize their tax load on income and investments.

I also lit a fire under my Member of Parliament from time to time, as well, on various ways that our government (of which he was a member) cut tax loads heavily for corparations, and minimally for individuals. Or gave some major increases in exemptions that mainly helped the wealthy folks, but there was next to nothing for the average taxpayer.

If I may not have been playing exactly the same game ...

... possibly a similar ball park?

I like to tell myself that I don't agree ... but sometimes we find, if we're honest with ourselves, that we're the easiest to fool when it comes to examining ourselves and our motives.

Good wishes for honest evaluation of not only others ... but yourselves with regard to your visions, objectives, motives and actions.

Sometimes honest consultation with God ... and other honest observers ... helps.

Good wishes for making more achievements in that pursuit, yourselves, should you agree with it, duringthe coming days. Plus with your own worthwhile ones.

ole joyful

• susan_on
    15 years ago

Toni is absolutely correct again, in everything she said. And I don't see how anyone was being pompous, they have a right to have their opinion. When I gave my own opinion, I didn't even scratch the surface about what goes on with social assistance, the way the rules are, and the way too many people take advantage it. If the general public knew the truth about what goes on, there would be a revolt-I'm sure of that. That does not mean that there aren't many people who need assistance and use it the way it is meant to be used, but to see what happens from the inside is an eye-opener.

For the record I'm glad to have my job because I get to help the people who truly need help (which I love to do), and I have the chance to "educate" the others on a path to self sufficiency. It's not easy, but I like the challenge.

• bluejeans4ever
    15 years ago

Susan, I live in Ontario as well and work for a Social Service agency. What you said about what the general public knowing the truth about what goes on would cause a revolution is bang on. Like you, I love my job because of those people I can help and who truly need it. The ones who "cheat", well, nothing is going to stop them from doing so. As a matter fact, if you want to know exactly how the welfare system works - talk to someone who abuses it. I learned more from the recipients than from any schooling!

I will say that many many people on social assistance have some kind of mental illness or learning disability or something that has put them into the situation they are in now. I have met some of the nicest people who can't hold on to job to save their lives and live in constant chaos.

It's a sad, sad but major problem and not a one solution fits all, thing.

I guess our food banks are our answer to food stamps?

With the economy the way its been going the food banks are in bigger demand than ever and the domestic violence rates have risen drastically. The local women's shelter is over flowing and is in a crisis because of not having the room for all the intakes... :~(

I digress.

BJ

• stephmc72
    15 years ago

I dont know anything about food stamps or the rules behind them but I tend to agree with Stoney on this one. Who cares what she buys? If the work like I think they work, wouldn't she just be selling herself short by buying the name brand stuff? Couldn't she get more for her "money" by buying cheaper, store brand items? Seems its her loss.

But regardless, who cares...it's her life. I could care less what others buy or eat. I'm sure there are food stamp "abusers" out there that do much worse than this lady.

• chisue
    15 years ago

Many years ago I read of a private, NON-GOVERNMENT program that ran an apartment building. (Sorry I can't recall where, but it was in the USA.)

Women with dependent children were admitted to the program -- given apartments and charged rent on a sliding scale -- given child care while they got job training and help finding jobs -- taught life skills including how to shop, budget, cook. There was a limit on how long a resident could stay. NOBODY stayed in the program if she wasn't TRYING to become independent. Since it was a private operation, people could be shown the door, and some were.

They had a terrific success rate! The women who picked themselves up also picked up the lives of their children. Some returned to volunteer, and ongoing support was available at the building after people had moved on and moved out. (I was pleased to see few women in the program 'hired on' as staffers -- a real problem in some 'uplift' settings.

The key thing that struck me was the PRIVATE nature of the endeavor. The women did collect whatever public assistance they were due -- same as women not in the program did. That helped finance the work. The difference was the whole atmosphere and support of a comprehensive program that could choose who it accepted and rejected.

Blind charity doesn't help, whether it's private giving or government dole. That's resulted in a generations-long subculture of dependency, hopelessness, and the greed of some who see aid to the 'deserving' as an opportunity to scam the system. There's nothing like spending 'Nobody's Money' -- government funds!

We are already feeding the children of the poor in schools -- breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a helathy snack to take 'home' ('home' being wherever a child lands on a given night). Why not establish 'boarding schools' for these kids? Maybe we could break these cycles of subsistence and save more children. (I'm not talking 'orphanages'; family ties would be respected and children free to come and go same as kids at every other boarding school have holidays.) It probably would cost less than the prisons that currently house these children once they are children no longer.

• susan_on
    15 years ago

BJ, it's nice to see someone from here who can relate. I'm curious about the type of Social Service agency you work for.

Job maintenance is a huge issue. We have programs to address those issues with people. Anger issues, punctuality and attendance problems, inability to take direction and to problem solve, poor conflict resolution skills are only some of the issues that come up. It's very common for people to claim that they are medically unable to work, without having supporting medical information. I have two men who limp into my cubicle (one dragging his leg), but when they leave I look through the window and see them walking just fine. There is a lot of resistance to changing the way they manage their lives so that they can be self sufficient. We have a process to steer them that way, but it takes time, and dedication on the part of the worker.

You're right that a lot of people on Ontario Works (OW) have mental health or learning disability problems. Our psychologist feels that most (not all) people with learning disabilities can do some type of work. As far as mental health-that gets complicated. A lot of people in this category do better in a program than they do left on their own. I've phoned doctors many times over these cases. Depression, for example, is a very common illness that many people in the work place have. The diagnosis of depression is not enough to determine if the person is able to work. In many cases, the doctor feels the client would benefit from working. We are very compassionate and gentle with people in this category though. I like using our system to help improve the quality of their lives. We also have a great agency we work with that is very supportive of our clients, so I feel good about that.

My frustration though, is directed towards the malingerers and other people who are able bodied and don't want to work. I get lied to, yelled at, and threatened all the time. Also, there are too many people who routinely fail to pay their landlords, gas and hydro; then access funds from OW to pay these arrears. Some of these people are even working and not declaring the income, but they STILL don't pay their bills. People who conduct themselves like this drive me crazy. I will say that while the people who behave like this are not in the majority of people on OW, that there are many people like this- I deal with it 2-3 times a day, at least.

• wine50
    15 years ago

Mind your own business. How can you judge this woman unless you've walked in her shoes. She may have been giving her kids a special treat. Maybe a birthday celebration. Whatever reason it is none of your concern. I'm sure there here are worse things happening in your back yard that could use your attention.

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

Treats and and birthday celebrations can wait until they can afford them. Neither are necessary, and many working people do things simply or not at all when they don't have the money.

When the public is footing the bill...it IS our business - because its our money.

• susan_on
    15 years ago

The shopper in the OP has the right to make decisions about the groceries she buys her children, whether we agree with them or not. There are far bigger problems with the social assistance system, than whether the participant should be able to buy name brand goods over store brand. I suspect that the post was triggered by the original poster's opinions/views/perceptions on social assistance programs and it's recipients, as much as by this particular lady. But for that, I will not judge the OP, because she is entitled to her opinion, and she may have experienced, or have knowledge of people who have abused the system in the past. It certainly happens. And being a person who previously needed the system and did not abuse it, or knowing someone who is in dire straits right now and requires social assistance is not enough reason to dismiss the experiences of someone who has seen the other side of this issue.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Posted by coloredthumb: "Everyone is entitled to snacks and treats occasionally, as well as the nutritious foods."

Ahhh, the entitlement attitude. Why should taxpapers fund soda pop, chips and candy? These are things that most working people that I know, cannot afford to buy for themselves.

Posted by monica_pa: Treats and and birthday celebrations can wait until they can afford them. Neither are necessary, and many working people do things simply or not at all when they don't have the money.

When the public is footing the bill...it IS our business - because its our money."

Thanks. You can add my name to that.

• Sally Brownlee
    15 years ago

Those folks using public assistance and truly need it - God Bless 'Em! I will continue to do my best to not be judgmental. What is unfortunate is some people may truly not know how to save money - or stretch a dollar. I am very lucky to live in an area where we have a few really nice "bent and dents". On average I spend about $175 a month to feed 2 people. Luckily I have plenty of space in my pantry, a large freezer and my mama taught me to buy in bulk, cook enough for leftovers, and how to can and freeze my own fruits and vegetables. Yes, it takes time and hard work.
    I have recently made friends with a 50-something lady who shops twice a week and spends over $100 for her and her son. I am slowly sharing tips with her on how to stock up and resist the twice-weekly shopping trip.
    I feel sorry for those that truly don't know any better.
    Or don't have time - or don't have room.
    I agree with stephmc72 - it is the buyers loss when they don't know how to get more with less.
    But I will add, it burns my butt to know there are those out there gloating about beating the system when I am working so hard.
    JMHO

• Kathsgrdn
    15 years ago

I really don't understand why someone would stand behind another person in line and memorize what they had in their cart. I mean down to the brand and number of items even.

The ex and I were on food stamps for a little while years ago and I bought some junk foods, like cake mixes for the kids' birthdays. I'm just glad we were living in a part of the country where food stamps are common and didn't have to worry about someone scrutinizing what I was buying back then, because it was embarrassing/humiliating/depressing enough without someone else looking down their nose at me. I was also obese too, which I guess makes me even more a loser in some people's eyes.

I don't understand someone being on food stamps and living like that their entire lives, because I know people like that. Just standing in line behind someone one time, how would you know that was the case?

• anne_ct
    15 years ago

When the public is footing the bill...it IS our business - because its our money."

I have absolutely no idea who this poor soul is...using food stamps...but as I've read through all of these posts/comments...and considering the quote above...which seems to be a currently popular theme on this subject...has anyone given any thought to the fact that this woman may...at a more lucrative time in her life...have paid her fair share to fund the government assistance program from which she is now drawing?

Food [parden the pun] for thought...wouldn't you say.

Anne

• stephanie_in_ga
    15 years ago

Makes me wonder...

Which is more aggrevating: a person who makes unfair assumptions based on stereotypes, or the person who lives up to and perpetuates the stereotype by their choices?

Whether it's public assistance or a race or religion or gender... I am more aggrevated by people who perpetuate the stereotype with their own actions.

I don't want to be nosy about what's in one person's shopping card on any given trip to the store. But I'm also tired of being stuck in the middle, doing what I'm supposed to do- working, paying my bills, caring for my family- while those with more than me take my money and misuse it and those with less than me take my money and misuse it. It's hard to tell my kids "this is the right thing" when doing the wrong things seems to work out so well for so many people around them.

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

I'm just wondering how many of you who are sticking up for the food-stamp using Mom who bought a lot of the convenience foods for her family are the same ones who jumped all over Liz when she posted her photo of the overflowing shopping carts that she paid for with her own hard earned money? As I recall, she was villified for some of her purchases and she wasn't using food stamps. Why is it OK to criticize those who pay cash and not those who use government assistance?

I'm agreeing with Toni, Susan ON and Stephanie and Monica on this thread, and I'm sure a few others, too.

• ilmbg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK- well, I opened a can of worms.
    I must tell a couple of you that seem to think I was so nosy and didn't have a clue as to a FS user.I DID WALK IN HER SHOES!!
    Guess what? Many years ago- almost 40- I was married and in college, I also had a very small child (no- BC pills don't always work!!lol). Anyway- I became divorced, with a real jack-a** for an ex, who was a CPA for General Motors. He knew how to get out of child support legally.
    I had to use FS for the last year of school- and yep, I was tired- nursing school everyday plus working in a hospital for clinicals. And raising a child who would be a compliment to society- not a 'you owe it to me' person. Yep- I was EXHAUSTED! But I had a mission to complete- get through school so I could have a great job!
    For me, it was an apsolute privilege to have help!! I did not DESERVE it- I did not feel that my child DESERVED everything. I scrimped, did all my cooking- although I must admit I doubt there were many convienence foods then.
    There were no snack foods- unless it was an apple, cheese- the like. I certainly was not going to feed my child or myself junk foods- I didn't care to raise an obese child or give her a diet filled with foods that promote cavities!
    I didn't buy a roll of paper towels until I got a job. We didn't have cable tv(yep it was around). No soda- a weekend treat was- and still is a bowl of popcorn, taking lunch to a park, picking up soda bottles and beer bottles from the ground while riding our bikes- the 5 cent deposit would buy us a ticket to the $1 movie.
    I made my dollar stretch- and proud of it.

I certainly do not want anyone to go without the basics- but candy, soda, potato chips are not DESERVED!

nannybird, susan_v, monica, chubby, mpwdom, wildchild, jenmonkey, whidbeykathy, dillydally, salgal, and several others- you have said it even better than I did.
    It IS our business- we pay the bill! The fat kids who are going to be ill with diabetes, heart problems, obesity/asthma are the ones that we will be footing the bill for- for years to come! To me, it is a crime for a mother to treat her children this way- it is as abusive as starving them!

For those of you who suggested nutrition classes, they are already in existance here- they are free at the community college- I know one of the dieticians that teaches- she used to work at the hospital- she said the people on FS do not seem to be interested- the elderly and working people are the ones that show up. It needs to be mandatory for FS people, I believe.

If a person has had a high paying job in the past- and has now found herself/himself out of work and on Welfare- well, you just can't have the fancy things you used to-

It is too bad that soap and tp are not allowed- both very basic needs.

Some of you that work for different welfare agencies-yep I bet you could shock the pants off of some of us with what you know now. How in the world can they get drugs with FS?? Maybe I don't want to know...

I forgot who mentioned the part about people coming to you in a parking lot...I have been approached so many times in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Texas- have somebody beg for money, 'I ran out of gas'- then I watch them run back to a brand new truck, give the money to somebody inside, then go begging again! Last time I do that- the person who really might have 'run out of gas', got screwed by that person ruining it for the legitimate ones.

And lastly- I was taught to 'observe others'- both by my detective father and my nursing education- and a couple cop friends... having an obese, junk laden shopping cart directly in front of you at the register is a bit hard NOT to notice!

Now a question that just might antagonize the H*ll out of a couple of you.....I wonder if those of you who scream the loudest are on FS and LIKE IT!!

The End!

• Cherryfizz
    15 years ago

Boy, I would hate to stand in front of you in a grocery line. I am obese, I sometimes buy junk food once in a while because I am an adult and I feel like it. You don't know anything about this woman except she is on food stamps. How do you know she doesn't have a glandular or thyroid problem that makes her obese.

Maybe it was one of her children's birthdays and she was having a little party for them. Even if they are poor would you take that away from a child. Life is difficult most likely for them as it is.
    Would you have judged the woman the same way if she or her children weren't obese? You could have just talked about the woman and what she was buying and not bring her size into it. Judging a person because they are obese is discrimination plain and simple and I have no tolerance for it.

Anne

• ont_gal
    15 years ago

Well,living on SA,or having been employed doesnt matter...that individual is buying what she is because what she is buying will fill them all up cheaper..may not be healthier,but it beats a rumbling belly in the middle of the nite..ever think of it that way?

• houstonmom_gw
    15 years ago

Ironically, this thread started 1-2 days AFTER my 22 year old son (in college) had a conversation with me regarding this very subject matter. He is a part-time cashier at a grocery store, and he is appalled by what is purchased with FS (most of the time). He mentioned the restrictions placed on WIC, and wonders why those on FS can get just about anything they want. When a store brand is equal in quality, why buy the "on-brand"...make those stamps stretching a bit further is just an intelligent decision, but like my son said not too many of the FS users seem to care about it. Makes one wonder why? Yes, at times perhaps there is a b-day party coming up, or a celebration of some sorts, but more frequently the carts are just loaded up without even taking the time to check cost per ounce, etc...IMHO it just seems irresponsible.

• rthummer
    15 years ago

Am I to understand through your post, that if I don't think like you, feel like you, diet like you, educate myself like you, shop like you, judge others like you, live like you, live to the same stand like you think you live, I am a frog? Then Hooray, I am a FROG!! And DARN WELL PROUD OF IT! I don't think one has the ability to judge others until you have walked a mile in their shoes!!

• chubby_rat
    15 years ago

I agree with the fact that what is bought with FS should be controlled.I was never a cashier but I was a bartendar....you could tell the days the FS or Welfare checks came out..Bar was full!One girl in particular told me that she was never getting off welfare as long as she could help it...kept having kids to stay on it.She said she got so much free stuff...why work? I hate that it is abused by so many,when there are truly ones that need the help.As far as looking to see what was in the basket...why not? Maybe more people should look in the baskets and complain.Maybe if they controlled what could be bought ,we as taxpayers wouldn't be supporting so many freeloaders.Don't mind helping out the truly needy but the freeloaders tick me off!

• LorifromUtah
    15 years ago

I have a problem with food stamp abuser and it seems the abuse is the norm anymore. Many years ago I worked in a grocery store. Those were the times when food stamps were paper and money change was given. Most folks on FS were very careful and selective about what they bought. Many were embarassed at the fact they needed help and worked very hard to get OFF food stamps. Only a few felt entitled to and abused their foodstamps. What would bother me the most is some would use the foodstamp change and buy beer or cigarettes with it. Going to the foodstamp 'credit card' was a good idea.

Now It seems food stamp abuse is getting more and more common. Like Chubby says, foodstamps and welfare have become a entitlement instead of a help up.

I have to be honest about the woman's size and say I would have the same reaction when she paid for junk with foodstamps. It is just as easy (and cheaper) to buy real food. I am no skinny minny but when I buy junk food it is with my hard earned money...not foodstamps and those with opinions about my sized can be damned. But when someone, thin or obese, is in front of me in a checkout stand with a cart full of junk and the expensive name brands (that I don't buy because I have to be frugal) then pays with Food stamps it is my business and yes. I resent it, no matter the person's size. My taxes support foodstamps and I do not begrudge this privilege to those who need it. I do resent those who think food stamps and welfare are owed to them.

Lori

• uxorial
    15 years ago

Well, I'm one of those people who notices what others are buying (but I don't notice how they pay for it). I'm just curious/nosy and bored while waiting to check out. So I look at their stuff and imagine how their life is. If they're buying a turkey around the holidays, I imagine a happy family getting together. If it's a man buying junk food, I think about how lonely he might be and how he might like a woman to cook proper food for him. If it's a family buying hamburgers, marshmallows, and Hershey bars, I think about how much fun they'll have camping. I'm easily entertained, I guess! :-)

I often see overweight people buying ice cream, soda, chips, and cookies, but I don't automatically assume they're going to eat it all themselves. And it's entirely possible that the items you see in one's cart aren't even for that person.

But, on the flip side, when other people see my cart loaded with Lean Cuisine and fresh vegetables, do they wonder if that's how I stay thin? Nobody has ever asked!

• whidbeykathy
    15 years ago

Hold on there, maybe you need to reread my post.
    Never once did I say it is ANYONE'S business what a FS user is purchasing. I also don't think some others you quoted said it was either.
    Furthermore, what the heck are you doing memorizing her groceries and watching how she pays? !

• LorifromUtah
    15 years ago

Uxorial, we are soul sisters!

I am a people watcher.
    Airports and shopping malls are good places for people like me and you.
    LOL

And, instead of reading Star or the Enquirer I watch people when I'm in the checkout line.
    It's a common hobby.
    At the very least it is human nature and the OP's point is what the person used food stamps for and that foodstamps is a government program supported by American taxpayers.

Flamingo has a great point!
    I had forgotten about the beating Liz took about what she spent her $800 from her personal checking account at the grocery story.

Lori

• teresa_j30
    15 years ago

WOW! I got laid off from my job just week, I have three kids and my SO is an independant contractor for a moving company and they haven't had any work in almost a month. I live in a town where we have the 2nd highest unemployment rate in the state. I am going next week and applying for food stamps and guess what??? I will use them to buy/get whatever food I want!! And I will do that and not feel a bit guilty about it because I have paid into Welfare for a long time, same as my mother and father and my grandparents. And if you see me in line at the grocery store and look down your nose at me and scrutinize the contents of my cart you won't make me feel like any less of a person...I will feel sorry for you that your life is so empty you have nothing better to do than judge a perfect stranger for what they are spending their food stamps on. Yes there are real forms of food stamp abuse, but not buying what YOU think should be bought isn't abuse. Thats whats so wrong with society today, everyone wants to judge everyone else when you don't know a damn thing about them or their life!!!!

• jennmonkey
    15 years ago

Yes, I was misquoted also. I'm am of the opinion that what the woman buys with her food stamps is none of yours or anybody else's business.

I work in social services also, and from what I see and have seen as long as I've been working with folks on social security, medicaid, foodstamps and all sorts of public assistance, while there are always a few that abuse any system they can, the majority of people getting help NEED it.

I agree with teresa that people are far too judgemental toward one another.

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

I don't have a problem with anyone getting FS.What i do have a problem with is why the system lets them buy soda,candy ,and/or junk food.I'd rather see them let them buy toilet paper,diapers for the babies,and personal item,like tampons,shampoo,soap etc.
    Kathi

• Cherryfizz
    15 years ago

Posters here went after Liz for what she spent that day? My goodness. Liz works hard for her money and she can spend it on whatever she wants.

I people watch too but I don't judge them because I don't walk in their shoes. I took issue with the OP because she mentioned the woman was obese as were her children. I am sure thin people abuse the system too. Thin people have health issues like diabeties and heart problems.

I know this has nothing to do with food stamps but there are some people who don't know a thing about me but because I am overweight they find it their right to judge me, call me names, whatever. You would be hard pressed to find any junk food, prepared foods, etc in my house except for the homemade pizza I made last night or candy canes left over from Christmas. I have allergies so most boxed foods that contain preservatives I can't eat. If there ever becomes a need for me to use a food bank even though that is most unlikely I would hate to think I am being thought badly of because I am overweight.

I don't know anything about food stamps or welfare but like everyone else this woman most likely paid into it and had fallen on hard times. I live in a city that has fallen on hard times. Our unemployment rate is much higher than the national average and people who never thought they would be collecting welfare or using food banks are taking advantage of those services now.

Abuse happens with government funded programmes. Social Agencies are not given enough manpower to police or find the abusers.

Don't judge the woman because she bought treats for her kids or name brand foods. Maybe it was her first time using food stamps. You don't know what her circumstances were. Changing one's lifestyle habits can be challenging if one has never been in the position of need before. A person who isn't abusing the system might take a month or two to learn how to budget their food dollar or to make their food stamps go further. Maybe next time you might see this woman she will have a cart full of no name foods and fruits and veggies.

• Kathsgrdn
    15 years ago

"To me, it is a crime for a mother to treat her children this way- it is as abusive as starving them!"

So, are you saying that anyone who lets their child eat any kind of junk food is abusing their child? If so, then I really feel sorry for your kids because that would mean no birthday cake, no ice cream, what a sad life that would be. It would also mean that 99% of KT people with kids would be child abusers, judging by the "dinner" posts and dessert recipes their families love to eat.

• golfergrrl
    15 years ago

For those not concerned about what is being bought with FS...here's the scenerio. You're in line behind someone who unloads 10 packages of filet mignon. That's all, just the filets. She pays with food stamps. You look down at the hamburger and chicken in your basket. That's what you can afford to feed your family on your income...from working. And that's OK? The system has to be changed.
    (Years ago I worked as a food stamp case worker...even then, the abuse was rampant.)

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

One more note on this subject. We are in the second week of delivering fresh vegetables from our gardens to the local food pantry. The first week only a few people showed up, and some wanted out-of-season vegetables, like tomatoes. The next week we had a line out the door, the lettuce, spinach, radishes were gratefully received, and a few asked for smaller amounts since they couldn't eat that much in a week. One man told me he had worked hard all his life, and really didn't understand why he couldn't afford to feed his family, even with food stamps. We never know, do we?

• whidbeykathy
    15 years ago

Now a question that just might antagonize the H*ll out of a couple of you.....I wonder if those of you who scream the loudest are on FS and LIKE IT!!

Oh get off your high horse, you can't be serious!

25 years ago I sure as He** didn't want to be on food stamps. I don't think the majority of people do. The way you sound everyone is abusing the USDA program, and that is so not true. What they are doing is feeding their family. I don't care is they feed them junk food or whatever, feed the hungry.

I am almost 60 now, and go to the store a few times a week and I must lead a sheltered life, because I have never seen anyone with 10 steaks in their cart.

kathysgrdn is also correct about being so judgemental about what other peoples kids eat. I DO remember buying treats with food stamps. My kids were very thin and still are, they ate as healthy as possible and I sure didn't begrudge them a cookie or juice.

Before I forget, if I ever heard a store clerk discussing with a customer ANYTHING the previous customer had in their cart, I would sent a speed record finding the manager and filing a immediate complaint.

I would much rather my tax dollars feed our nations hungry than line a politicians pocket, go to another country; or support another war. ( and yes my DH is retired military)

DH and I paid over $12,000 in taxes in 2009, and I bet not much more than $5.00 of it went to a nutrition program.

Enjoy being on FS my left foot..Kathy

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

I wonder if those of you who scream the loudest are on FS and LIKE IT!!

My sister did. Said she ate better not working and getting FS than if she had a job and had to pay for groceries.

• Adella Bedella
    15 years ago

When I worked in a grocery store about 20 years ago, I had a person come through my line with a cart full of shrimp and seafood that came from behind the butcher counter. I lived in a land locked state so any type of seafood particularly a specially handled product from the meat department is expensive. I had another person purchase something like 25 specialty suckers with collectible football helmets. IMO, both of those purchases should not have been allowable.

I've seen the other end of the spectrum also. There are people who came through the line and made responsible choices. For instance, my store had double coupons and you can use a coupon and food stamps at the same time. During the 14 months I worked I only saw one shopper that shopped sales and would use coupons. She had three little kids. She bought more nutricious foods.

Treats like cookies and cake can be made from scatch from staples like flour, sugar and eggs. I think if people were given the basics of what they need so they didn't go hungry instead of access to almost any 'foods', the people who do abuse the system would have an incentive to better themselves.

• Kathsgrdn
    15 years ago

I know people who liked being on food stamps, my ex's family, but that is the way they grew up. Some of them refused higher paying jobs so they wouldn't lose those food stamps, so I understand thinking that is not right, but this was a stranger to the OP. She has no idea who that woman is or her situation.

Last week I went to the store and bought half a cart of junkfood, chips, dip, soda pop and although I paid with my debit card I wonder if some busybody behind me thought it disgraceful that I was buying all that junk and probably thought I was charging it to a credit card. My daughter was having a party. And the abuse of all those kids continued when I went to Little Caesars and picked up 6 large pizzas!

• Granlan_TX
    15 years ago

I have my own story about food stamps going back to the early 70's. I don't know when the program started, but it sure was handled differently back then.

I was newly divorced with two small kids and had just started a job at the minimum wage of $2 an hr. I'd been a SAHM mom during my marriage and sure wasn't prepared for this dramatic change.

I was so scared and worried about feeding us and I did qualify for food stamps which were in paper form. At the scheduled time, I had to go to our Main Post Office and pay cash for the stamps I could afford. Only once did I have enough cash to buy my full amount; the rest was kept and no longer available to me. Gosh, I didn't like shopping with those darn things.

I was only able to buy these stamps 2 or 3 times before I realized I could shop better on my own with my own little budget. FYI: Sadly, at that time, I only received $100 a month in child support for my 10 yr. old DD and my infant son. It took that amount to pay for child care for the baby so I could work.

I wouldn't wish that kind of life for anyone. :( I just can't imagine people would prefer living that way, but I know it happens.

• angelaid
    15 years ago

It would never occur to me to look in someone else's grocery cart, much less pay attention to how they pay for their groceries.

• Mystical Manns
    15 years ago

I really don't agree that, just because you pay taxes, you get the right to serve as both Judge and Jury towards a complete stranger, with absolutely no input from the person. If the system bothers you, then run for public office and work towards changing the system. You knew that answer before you posted.

You see someone who is, in your opinion, overweight ... and you check out her grocery cart so you can tsk tsk at what she's buying (naturally feeling very superior because YOU wouldn't DREAM of buying junk food like that) ... then you spy (um, WATCH) to see how she pays for their food??? How could you tell that the card she paid with was a FS card and not a debit card? OH ... that's right ... you gossiped with the clerk about how shameful it is to be on FS, and *snarky snarky* how the clerk can always tell FS people from regular people by what's in their cart.

huh.

I've worked with people like you before and am *so, so grateful* that I don't any longer. Your righteous indignation is disturbing to me.

• Sally Brownlee
    15 years ago

I think to I was misquoted - or at the least misunderstood. It is none of my business how anyone spends their money. (Any kind of currency)
    What I said was it seems some folks could be better educated on how to make it go further (like baking a cake instead of buying it - the kids would love it too!)
    I have a couple sisters that have used social assistance. One was married to a dairy farmer - times were super lean in the 80's when the kids were coming. She canned, froze and butched till her fingers bled...the other a single mom, no support, working her tail off to make ends meet. Yes, she didn't have enough hours in the day to work, make dinner, help with the homework and do the housework. I am sure their were many "convenience foods".
    Folks, we are not a "one size fits all". I appreciate both of my sisters and the fine example they set for their children. Unfortunately the reality is that not everyone is as honest.
    Life is not fair...

• magic_arizona
    15 years ago

"I really don't agree that, just because you pay taxes, you get the right to serve as both Judge and Jury towards a complete stranger, with absolutely no input from the person. If the system bothers you, then run for public office and work towards changing the system. You knew that answer before you posted."

Exactly. And in the mean time, since you have so much extra time on your hands to worry about other people and what you feel is right or wrong, why don't you find some volunteer work to do.That would certainly be more constructive than finding someone to "contact" about this woman.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

"If the system bothers you, then run for public office and work towards changing the system."

Actually one does not have to 'run for public office' to change things. Our country is a democratic republic and people can vote, or contact their representatives to let their voice be known.

The OP asks who to contact regarding the Food Stamp rules. Although it is a Federal program, it is administered by the individual states and one would contact their state representatives. Of course running for office is also an option and is the method used by some to effect change on an issue that is very important to them. Running for office on a single issue platform is not very often successful though.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Do you ever just wish a thread would die and go away?

• ont_gal
    15 years ago

good for you teresa_j30 and all the rest that said what she said.

remember this much ppl...NEVER judge,lest you be judged...cuz honeys,you never know when it might happen to YOU

• sephia
    15 years ago

Okay, this will address the OP's original question - "I guess I will have to find out who to write to - hopefully enough of us will wake up both the government and the 'takers'- this is abuse- of our economy and abuse of our children!"

Below is information as to who to write to. File your complaint, and maybe, just maybe, this thread will die. I really think though that you just wanted to complain and look down your nose at other people. It took me one minute to find the source to write to.

How do I report someone I think is violating Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) rules?

Although SNAP is a Federal assistance program, it is the States that administer it, including the investigation and prosecution of violations of the SNAP rules. Most States maintain a fraud hotline number for the public to call to report suspected violations. The following link provides the number to call for your State to report your information.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County