SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Bound broadloom instead of area rug??

jockewing
14 years ago

I am in need of a new 8x10 for my living room. I am finding that rug shopping is very frustrating. The orientals that look good are thousands of dollars, and it seems like the good solid or patterned rugs are the same price, if not more! I have found some rugs I like on Overstock and other sites, but the only ones that look halfway decent seem to be $700 and up. I am not plunking down that much cash on something I can't even see.

So, my new idea is to order some broadloom from Lowe's or a carpet store and have it bound. I really like some of those new broadlooms that have subtle color variations and different textures or fiber heights to create subtle patterns. I found one at Lowe's today that is only $1.98 a square foot. I know I only need an 8 x 10 but broadlooms usually come in 12 foot widths. I would order about a 9 x 12 piece, which would only be about $200, and then I spoke to a place that binds carpets and they quoted me a price of $60 bucks. So I could pick out the exact color and design I wanted for under $300.

Has anyone tried this before? Would the store be funny about ordering carpet for someone who isn't going to get it installed on the floor?

Any pics of rugs done this way?

Comments (12)