SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20153865

Oily-looking areas on ipe deck--how to address?

User
18 years ago

Our deck is currently being rebuilt with ipe. There are two dark spots on the flooring that I thought were water, but after a spell of dry and sunny weather, they are still there. The areas are perhaps half-foot or so in diameter, so they are noticeable. It is an uncovered deck. Leaves have not fallen yet (I can count on one hand how many leaves are on the deck), so I don't think it's leaf residue.

Is there some sort of solvent used in building the deck that could have caused this? Should we expect the workers to remedy it?

I was originally thinking of just letting the ipe go gray, but I will re-evaluate that question next spring or summer, after seeing how it it does over the winter (I'm in SE Pa). It is late in the year, and although we are having a warm spell right now, I don't know how much longer it will be before the deck is fully-built. I don't think I will be able to stain it this season before the cold sets in.

Anyway, are these stains the sort of thing that I (or the builders) should address now? Or, is this the sort of thing that will eventually fade into a patina as the wood takes weather?

Comments (10)