SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenirvt_gw

Upcoming tiny kitchen remodel...space for table vs. island?

jenirvt
15 years ago

My hubby and I live in a small (less than 1000 SF on the main floor) house built in the 1950's that was in DIRE need of cosmetic updates when we moved in. We have gutted every room except the kitchen, and are now ready to move on to it, but I have some questions before we get started:

It's 13 feet long and 9' wide in the "main body" of the kitchen, but the wall (yes, I said "wall", as in singular) that the cabinets are on is 13' wide (the stairway down to the basement then butts out and makes the rest of the kitchen smaller). On the one wall of cabinets, there is the fridge, then a 10' bank of cabs (carpenter built) on the bottom. Above that, next to the fridge, is a single cab, then a large window, and a double cab on the other side of that window. There are no other cabinets in the kitchen, and our stove is freestanding with nothing around it. We desperately need more cabinets as half of our stuff is stored on top of the fridge and the other half comes avalanching out of the cabinets when they are opened.

We plan to remove the old carpenter built cabinets and get new ones. We have several ideas for layouts, obviously adding cabs to additional walls is definitely in the plan...but with a kitchen as small as ours, I need opinions on something. I really would like to put a small island with cabinets and drawers in it, and barstools on one side, in our kitchen. However this will only work IF we don't put a kitchen table in it. There is not enough room for both. There is no dining room in the house and no walls can be knocked down to open the kitchen up more due to the layout of the house. I worry that not having an "eat in kitchen" in the traditional sense of the term will make our house less desirable when we try to sell it (which will be in the next couple of years, for sure). What are your opinions on this? Is an island or "bar" area with stools at it ok as opposed to an actual space for table and chairs, if there are no other "dining spaces" in the house?

Thank you for any responses, I appreciate it!

Comments (10)