SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

finishing a quilt

14 years ago

Now that I understand the basics of piecing, I have some questions about finishing a quilt. I'd appreciate answers you have on this because I really don't understand how it all works!

Firstly, does every quilt need to have a border? What if don't want a border? I think you need a borer to attach binding to right? What is binding, can anyone explain that? I think it's the "thing" that fastens the quilt top to the back and gives a finished edge around the quilt, but I'm not sure. I know people say you can whip stitch the binding on, but can it also be applied by machine? How much larger than the quilt top should the batting and backing be when you are making a quilt sandwich? I always see excess sticking out when people are doing things online, but I'm sure it gets trimmed at some point. What if my quilt is an odd size... do I need to piece the batting and backing, is that OK? I've been sewing 3 and 1/2 inch squares into strips for a while now, and I have about 7 strips done, but I think it's going to be a really weird size since I didn't follow a pattern. I'd still like to quilt it when I am done because I'm liking the way it looks... I don't think I'll use the short stack quilt I'm making in class because I don't like short stack quilts... I think they are just an ugly garbled mess, though my color selections probably had something to do with that opinion.

Also, what about the different methods of "quilting" a quilt? I know there is stitch in the ditch or stippling. I have a walking foot and a free hand foot, I'd love to try one of them out. Which method would be best for beginners, and how do you decide when it's appropriate to use each one? I've also seen some quilts (mostly older ones made by someone's grannny, all sewn by hand) that were tied with yarn. What's that about? Does anyone still do that?

Sorry so many questions, but I really do want to know! Once I get a basic understanding, it will really help me with future quilting endeavors. I will buy one (or more) of those books recommended in the beginners quilting thread too, but for now, curious minds want to know :o)

Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus