SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sillygirl2_gw

'Character Flaws' or 'Flaws' in Cedar Deck - Long

sillygirl2
17 years ago

Newbie when it comes to decks and just had a new 5 x 8 cedar one built. My question is, what is acceptable for the wood? I think the constn guys overtightened the screws and the wood has split in places...I've requested they replace some pieces because of such, but I don't want to be too nitpicky. It seems when they fix one thing, another issue arises (I probably should have been nervous when I came home and one side of deck was 39.5 inches high and the other 36 inches--thinking one guy used a meter stick and the other a yardstick!) But some of the balusters have knotholes that are dried out and you can almost pick out the "knot" In other areas, when they replaced a bottom railing because they overtightened a screw and the wood split, the new railing is about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch shy of the post. But hey, at least they didn't overtighten the screw! The 4 x 4 posts for the stair rails have long splits, is this normal/acceptable? when they cut down the 39.5" side, the cut is uneven and there's a space and the unevenness shows under the top handrail. There are gouges already on the handrails and again big knot holes (with the dead wood hole) so HELP!!!!! what is poor workmanship, what should I expect from Cedar and what wood should I (if any) have them replace.

Thanks for any help.

Comment (1)