FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
j_omom

UltraDeck (Menards) composite decking?

j_omom
13 years ago

My husband and I are planning to build a deck on our home in Chicago and are considering the use of wood vs. composite decking. In particular, I have a question if anyone has used or is familiar with UltraDeck Natural - the composite decking sold by Menards. If you have used it or are familiar with UltraDeck, what are the pros and cons? Would you recommend it vs. traditional wood decking? Are there other affordable decking options that you might recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (77)

• Julie Hall
    5 years ago

What brand of decking would everyone suggest?

• Kathy Quin
    5 years ago

I'm thinking about cladding my 4x4 posts for a small railing with the Ultradeck. I don't care a whole lot about fade. Would that be an OK use?

• Related Discussions

Do your dogs go across your deck to go outside?

Q

Comments (14)
    Saw your post and pics on the Decor forum and have to agree with others that the worst wear is from the weather. But, you also have a combination of mold, algae, old solid stain (or paint) on the surface and possible rot under the boards. As handymac mentioned, the joints and screw heads look suspicious. We always had a wood deck when we lived in Calif and even with our short rainy season we had to clean and restain at least every two years. Like yours, it would wear worst in the areas exposed to the sun and rain while the areas under the eaves looked untouched. I hated that deck as much as I loved it! Cedar is a very soft wood and I can understand your son not wanting you to use the pressure washer. Judging by the pics, it appears you already have raised grain in several areas. To get the deck nice again, I think you're going to need to sand the surface and then treat it with something that will strip everything that's left. After that it will need yearly treatments. If you go to all that trouble I'd suggest laying flagstone, precast concrete, etc. at the bottom of your steps and training the dogs to go there as long as possible. But my guess is that eventually, as the dogs age, they won't be able to use the steps and will probably start using the deck again. Our current home has a composite deck and I can't say enough good about it. No more chemicals and no more treatments! I know others recommended replacing your boards with a composite, but it's not that simple. Composite needs more support than wood so the structure underneath your deck will need some 'beefing up'. Unless all the work needed to restore your deck will be DIY, I suggest you calculate the costs of treatment, sanding, and continued costs of staining, then compare that to the cost of replacing the boards with composite. Before doing anything, I would have someone climb under the deck, if possible, and check for rot. If you have rot, nothing will adhere to the wood. BTW, I think rubber mats will just hold more moisture and cause things to rot faster.
    ...See More

What type of decking for above ground pool?

Q

Comments (1)
    If that is a true budget I would recommend the cedar as I am not a fan of inexpensive composite.
    ...See More

Composite Decking - Need Update for 2014 Material

Q

Comments (7)
    We are deck builders here in Cincinnati, and we get rain, snow, ice, and humidity. What I'm about to say is NOT the norm for all deck builders in all areas. Just speaking from our experience. My husband started this company in 2005, built decks with someone else before that....His top 3 choices for decking is either a hardwood (Ipe, Tigerwood, or Cumaru), Azek or Timbertech XLM. The hardwoods have rot, decay, mold, and bug resistance. You can either let them age, or you can oil them each year, depending upon your preference. They have a life span of 30 or more years, and no fad color to figure out what to do with, when the trend color is no longer a trend. Azek because when you slice it, it is solid PVC. Nothing will penetrate it, and there are no would fibers or flour on the inside to break down, and make the boards weak. Will stay strong and sturdy. Also, if you notice the next time your at a theme or water park, look at the platform you're standing on...most of them are PVC. That way they won't ruin through the ice, snow, and thousands of folks walking all over it. As you can see from our profile here on houzz or our website, we sell alot of Azek, brazilian hardwoods, and Timbertech. We've had so much trouble out of Trex here, that when a customer insists upon Trex, my husband will put a clause in our warranty because within a year's time on the last 2 Trex Transcend decks, we've installed (which is top of the line for Trex) they are now completely faded out to a different color than we installed. One has mold issues so bad on the top, that they've painted it already, and it's only 2 years old. We tried to get the warranty and claims center for Trex to help each customer under their fade and stain warranty, but it never happened. The customers are stuck until they can afford something else. Again, this is our experience with these few products.
    ...See More

Is composite more susceptible to mold?

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi gdj204: Trex is the leading brand of alternative decking, railing and fencing. The latest decking line from Trex is called Escapes. This product is manufactured using revolutionary cellular PVC technology and features enhanced stain, mold and scratch resistance, ultra-low maintenance and superior fire resistance for an appealing outdoor living area that is both durable and beautiful. Designed to appeal to a new segment of consumers who place a premium on low maintenance, Trex Escapes features a natural wood-grain pattern in three long lasting, rich colors: Pewter (grey), Sahara (beige) and Acorn (brown). Trex Escapes, as well as all of our Trex products, are backed by a 25-year limited residential warranty. Trex Escapes joins the Trex family of decking, railing and fencing products designed to enhance outdoor living, and complements Trex's current range of high-aesthetic, natural looking decking products, including Terex Brasilia, Trex Accents and Trex Contours. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me at question@trex.com or 800-BUY-TREX. Pat M-Trex Here is a link that might be useful: Escapes
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Coverdeck Systems
    5 years ago

Hey Everyone,

If you are looking for composite decking I suggest you check out our Weatherstone Composite Deck Tiles. They come in a variety of colors, and finishes. The unique part about our tiles is the tray. This promotes proper drainage and easy installation making install and cleaning simple.

Here is one example of a Gray Slate tile with a Matte finish

Here is a link to the other options we offer.

http://www.coverdeck.com/weatherstone.html

If you have any questions please give us a call

(800) 550-3325

www.coverdeck.com

• Charles Peckham
    5 years ago

I do like the look of ultra deck fusion, yet, quality control is totally non-existent. Boards have narrow sections, groves are inconsistent as is thickness. Took a total of 15 pcs back to Menards for crap boards. Hopefully for the manufactures sake they will fix these problems. Right now I would not recommend this product to my worst enemy.

• MaryTherese Flanigan-Tithof
    5 years ago

Exact same experience as erickMpls. Terrible fade & with different hues. I did call to ask their suggestion of stain, they don't recommend staining!

Who would choose nice looking original cedar color and then say "I'm hoping it becomes pale tan with black dots?"

• codjes
    5 years ago

SAVE YOUR MONEY.....DO NOT PURCHASE ULTRADECK COMPOSITE DECKING. I purchased UltraDeck composite decking to replace my 20' x 30' deck. I paid extra for the 20 foot decking and had it installed by a builder/contractor using the T clips that was recommended.

Within six months after the installation, the deck boards began to warp. The edge of the 20' decking boards curled up causing the edges of the board to be higher then the center of the board.

Each time it rains, the decking looks like a pond, rather then a deck, in that the decking boards are non-porous and hold the water until the sun evaporates the water, or I take my leaf blower an clear the water.

I have mailed several letters to Menards, Midwest Mfg and to UltraDeck with a non-caring reply to my problem.

They agreed to replace the defective decking boards, if I would pay to have the railing removed, pay for shipping the defective material back to them, agree to pay another shipping charge for the replacement decking and to pay the labor charge to remove the defective deck and install the replacement deck. I estimate this is a charge of approximately $ 2,000.00 they are asking me to pay to correct their error.

Save you money....Do not purchase UltraDeck from Menards...It is defective, warps, color will fade......really junk...

• Anthony
    4 years ago

Ultradeck offers 4 product lines. 3 of them offer matching railings. I've worked for homeowners that want to do projects around there house and have worked with ultradeck. I truly believe the reviews, but going through the reviews these are from a current line and a discontinued line. If you are going to go with a ultradeck, do stop in and talk to menards, they have a beautiful display! If your looking to use ultradeck, skip the natural line. Like mentioned above, it attracts mold and there is nothing you can do about it. Natural fades like crazy! Though it looks 'good' when installing it, the stuff should really be avoided. I do like the rustic, they offer 4 different colors. Hickory, redwood, gray, and cedar and have done lots of work with the gray. I have had only one problem though and that is one of the stair boards split when screwing it into place because I had over tightened it. The employee I talked to about it just exchanged it with a new 4' piece. The rustic does fade, but only during its first 3-4 months after installation and does not fade anymore after that. Though I did do a deck floor before rails during the spring, and installed the railings installed in late summer averaged out to the floor after 2 months luckily. The fusion though is expensive, but does not fade at all! Also there is three ways you can fasten your deck boards. T Clips, Ultra Clips, and Ultra Screws. I do like the new ultra clips because it does more spacing than the t clips to allow water to seep between the boards. If your doing a deck, use the ultra clips with rustic series.

• Susan Kochheiser
    4 years ago

The water only escapes if the deck boards do not warp. My UltraDeck boards edges warped on each side the length of the deck board, and the water is present until it evaporates. I would never recommend UltraDeck to anyone regardless of the price. I cancelled my account with Menards.

• Treg Swanson
    4 years ago

Stay Away! I've been professionally building decks for the past five years and my last two jobs with this material has been a nightmare. Never had an issue with the customer after install and 9 months later there is shrinkage with the railings. (reason why just the railings is because the deck was done in AC2 wood). I will never install this FS agian. It's Cheap, It comes warped and bowed, and a turd between every board. Never had a call back with all the other manufacture install: Trex, Azek, CertainTeed, and Lumberock.

• Susan Kochheiser
    4 years ago

Treg, Thanks for warning folks about this stuff!! We sure wish someone had warned us!!

• Cindy Ewert-Parsons
    3 years ago

I wish people would say what type of Ultra Decking they use, natural, rustic or fusion. They are priced widely apart so I would assume the cheapest one would have the most problems. Is the expensive Fusion better than the others?

• Susan Kochheiser
    3 years ago

Cindy, We purchase the top of the line from Menards, "Fusion" and it is junk. I also purchased the aluminum railing that had brown powder coating and the powder coating is now peeling off. Don't waste your money on UltraDeck or Menards. We no longer shop at Menards as they refused a cash refund and only offered replacement decking but only if we agreed to pay all expenses of taking the defective deck and railing down, plus pay for shipping on the replacement decking to our home, and pay for the shipping on returning the defective decking back to them. Total cost to me approx $ 2,500.00. When I asked the Menards Rep if they would guarantee the replacement deck not to warp or sag between the stringers, their reply was, "it shouldn't".. I thought it shouldn't with the original decking. This is their reply to the 10 year guarantee that they brag about. Junk....Save your money

• Megan Mackin
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Ultradeck Rustic Gray. The railing has serious issues. The post sleeves split when we were trying to place them over 4x4s which were bought at the same time. A year later -- they fit much better! Green wood won't work. The rail caps themselves are 1/4" too tight to allow balusters in them. Since the balusters are only 1 1/4" thick, this is significant!

I have an array of clamps ($$$) trying to spread them to fit the balusters in. Sliding will not happen but maybe I can get them in without busting the precisely-cut rail caps. I will be using heat, shortly, do further the spread. Almost $2,000 for just the railing assembly in parts!

I would NEVER buy this product again. But a year later, Menard's won't do anything for us.

• HU-956378057
    3 years ago

Ultradeck Rosewood Fusion, installed their railings. They arrived from shipping slightly bowed so had to place them between cement blocks with weight in the middle to straighten them out. The wood composite rail insert is not very dense and does not provide a sturdy base for screws to hold good. Product is not good quality for their top of the line, probably will not purchase again.

• Susan Kochheiser
    3 years ago

I am with you!..Very unhappy with Menards and their false warranty. I also purchased their top of the line fusion in the 20 foot length and had it installed by a contractor with the "T" clips as they recommended and after approximately 2 years the deck boards are warping, holding water after each rain and they also sag between the 16 Inch stringers. After many emails back and forth, Menards agreed to replace the decking only if I agreed to pay for shipping the defective material back to them and also pay for shipping for the replacement material. In addition I would be responsible to pay for the railing to be taken down and all charges for installation of the replacement decking and the railing. I also add that I purchased aluminum railing from Menards with the bronze powder coating and now the coating is starting to peal off of the railing. Their products are poor quality and the warranty is even less. We closed our accounts and no longer visit the store for any reason.

• HU-944193625
    3 years ago

The good, bad, & ugly with Ultra Deck. Disclaimer: I've only installed a couple of decks using Ultra Deck & haven't had to "live with it" over a period of time. Good: I like the look of Ultra deck. It isn't slippery when there is a frost outside. Bad: The "T" connectors are ok but I think they could go deeper in the decking boards as a handful would pop out when tightening the screws down. And then there are the screws - horrible. Why do you think they include 2 driver bits with each packet of "T" connectors/screws? Ans: cause they strip out. And what is one to do when the screw head is stripped out & one cannot drive it in or back it out if a board needs to be replaced? The railing system instructions are confusing; one picture shows putting a metal strip in the railing and another picture doesn't -> which is it?!?!? The balusters don't fit in the railing cap -> how is one suppose to slide on the top railing?? When screwing the bottom railing onto the balusters, they crack/split, even after pre-drilling. I could keep going on.... Ugly: Expensive. The customer who bought this was very uncomfortable over the price of the materials. A 6' piece of cladding was over $50.

• HU-722362654
    last year

Worst decking possible-I’m happy to share all the cracked boards pics of this awful decking and how awful they don’t respond to anything

• HU-254575643
    last year

I had a deck built using the Rustic line and am 3 years into the 10 year warranty. The material is cracking, warping, chunks are breaking off, 62% of the spindles are cracking, there is fungus and mold growth despite cleaning. They will not honor the warranty and refuse to stand behind their product. They blamed everything on the installation which was done using their instructions and materials. I have never been so disappointed or cheated in my life. Menards should put the UltraDeck display outside so customers can see how it really performs. Total rip off!!!!

• NLW22
    9 months ago

We had UltraDeck Fusion, walnut color, installed last July. Within 6 weeks there is a horrible fade/film over my entire 700+

sq ft deck. Many boards have large white spots. After numerous emails, the Sales Director Shane took zero responsibility. He told me it was my elements. I have no trees that overhang. He told me to use a mild dish soap to wash away the film. On my hands and knees I washed....nothing changed. This decking was to be mostly maintenance free and a good spray down when needed. Nope! My deck looks like it is over 10 years old and it's only been a part of my home for less than 9 months. No solutions, no care by the company. I highly suggest to not buy this product. Oh, let me add that they discontinued this product so obviously they know it's defective. Bye bye $17,000.

• Faron79
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Last Aug/September, I sanded my 25 yr-old Redwood Handrails & upper Skirt-boards (3rd time).

There's something to be said for NATURAL WOOD too.... ;-)

Gotta sand the floor again this Spring 2021. Haven't sanded the floor for about 6 years.

* The Handrails >>> Sikkens DEK-Finish #045 Mahogany, 2 coats required.

* Upper-Skirtboards (& all of Deck) >>> Sikkens SRD #089 Redwood. 1 Full coat, then a LIGHT 2nd coat....then wiped-off what didn't penetrate of the 2nd coat after about 10 minutes.

Gotta take off steps again too. Done that 3 times previously too:

From 2016.....Before:

And after!!

>>>>>> Now, compare the SAME Handrails in this last (2016) pic to the "New versions"! <<<<<

Faron

• HU-254575643
    9 months ago

Has anyone else thought about a class action lawsuit against Menards over the UltraDeck product they refuse to honor their warranty for?

• NLW22
    9 months ago

I've thought about it. I'd love to share my 13 back and forth emails from: Shane Sarbeck

Midwest Manufacturing Extrusion General Manager

...that have zero compassion or responsibility taken by him and the company.

• HU-254575643
    9 months ago

We can't be the only two people who have had this same exact problem with this same exact product and received the same crap non-response from Menards. I'm going to do some research and see if anyone else has initiated a lawsuit and will post again soon. BTW, I sent tons of pictures and copies of all correspondence to John Menard himself and got no response.

• HU-254575643
    9 months ago

Atterbury, Kammer & Haag, S.C. and Tycko & Zavareei LLP out of WI are suing Menards over their 11% rebate scam. I am going to contact them about the ultradeck defective product rip-off.

• HU-254575643
    9 months ago

Just got off the phone with the lawyer. They will review the case details and get back to me.

• nlw22
    9 months ago

HU-254575643 I have all of my emails to and from Shane. It shows a lack of responsibility and only that I need to wash it with mild dish soap. lol. They don't even make the product any longer so basically if I want anything to be done about this irregular/damaged decking it will need to be replaced . . . less than 9 months old. Thank you for looking into this!

• HU-254575643
    9 months ago

Hi Nancy. The lawyer (Atterbury, Kammer & Haag, S.C. and Tycko & Zavareei LLP) asked me to provide copies of all documentation for further consideration. I sent all correspondence, pictures, etc. You may want to contact their office and do the same. The more of us that come forward with the same issue give credence to our claims.

• NLW22
    9 months ago

Thanks so much for the information!

• HU-254575643
    9 months ago

The attorney referred me to another attorney. I'm going to contact him.

Attorney Heath Straka

Axley Brynelson, LLP

608-283-6755

• HU-785000443
    8 months ago

Ultradeck is pure junk. Mine shrunk in just 5 years so there are large gaps between ends of boards. Mold also grows on the boards. Menards and the manufacturer refuse to adequately take care of problem. Their warranty is meaningless. Huge waste of money!

• Bowhunter9
    4 months ago

HU-785000443,

Composite decking expands and contracts with the change in temperature due to being made with some plastic. It doesnt shrink. I’m a contractor in Ohio. My guess is it is definitely an installation issue. As far as mold growth, sounds like you just need to clean your deck once in awhile

• nlw22
    4 months ago

@Bowhunter9 installation issue or not, the product is junk! Flaws in the "wood" that have left white markings, dull film appearance over entire product, lack of customer service. They also discontinued the walnut color, my guess is that they realized how flawed it truly is. They have taken zero responsibility and won't respond to emails. When they have, they just dismiss me. Horrible!

• Bowhunter9
    4 months ago

@nlw22 That’s weird, I installed a deck in the Walnut color from Menards earlier this summer. It has a plastic coating on top

• HU-254575643
    4 months ago

I agree this product is garbage. My deck is only a few years into the 10 warranty and in addition to all the other problems, giant chunks falling off, bowing, warping, etc., there are spongy spots when you walk across the deck. It's supposed to be mold and fungus resistant but it's not despite cleaning. Menard's defaults to "installation issue" for everything. As a contractor, I'd suggest you keep in contact with the homeowner you installed it for. In a couple of years, when they try to make a warranty claim, you'll be getting the blame for the product flaws. Yes, you, the installer are at fault. I contacted an attorney who referred me to another attorney, who referred me to yet another attorney. I'm still trying to get some money back but no luck yet.

• Reibel
    4 months ago

Without photos it's hard believe someone's word of mouth

• HU-254575643
    4 months ago

Oh, I have photos. Plenty of photos. These are just a few examples where the material has just chipped off, where the panels are bowing, and where the spindles are splitting. Almost every spindle has cracks. You can see the mold and fungus growing too. I would never recommend this product from bitter experience. If Menard's put the UltraDeck display OUTSIDE no one would every buy it!

• Reibel
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Hmmm if you can't figure out how to attach photos how can you install a deck?

• HU-254575643
    4 months ago

Hmmm, if you can't figure out how to finish a sentence, how can you criticize me if this site wouldn't upload a freaking photo? I'm not the site administrator and I don't answer to the likes of you. I didn't install the deck. I hired a licensed professional who did a good job. He's not responsible for the crap Ultra-Deck product that failed 3 years into the 10 warranty. Billionaire big box stores get to be billionaires by not honoring their warranties. If I had known about this site and saw the other bad reviews, I would have thought twice about installing Ultra-Deck. Now it's a battle to get any money back. If I had used pressure treated lumber instead at a 3rd of the cost, I wouldn't be in this predicament. You don't help by rubbing salt in the wounds.

• HU-254575643
    4 months ago

• Bowhunter9
    4 months ago

@HU-254575643

There’s a reason three attorneys wont take your case haha. Do you not realize that? From your pictures, you can definitely tell it’s an instalation problem. First of all, composite decking is not supposed to be screwed through. And do you ever clean your deck?

• NLW22
    4 months ago

@Bowhunter9 it’s apparent that you have a stake in Menards. Your comments are pro Menards and negative to owner/installer. Good for you! We are just hear stating what we find flawed with the product. My issue is not installation, my boards are actully flawed. You stated to me that my comment was ”weird”. Yes there is a coating on the product BUT it shouldn’t alter the color or leave white patches within the grain. I provided photos a year ago, in this thread. My product is now one year old and at the time it was 3 months old. The product is garbage, period. Enjoy your deck!

• HU-254575643
    3 months ago

Face it Bowhunter9, the comments from NLW22 are right on. The product is garbage. No amount of cleaning makes any difference. Chunks of the product disintegrating where it was installed with the t-clips are evidence that the installation was not the problem. There are no screws driven through the spindles yet more than 62% of them are splitting. No screws are driven through the sections that are bowing either. The product is not supposed to do that! The deck is becoming spongy. No screws through those sections so no, installation is not the problem. Defend Menards all you like but they are selling a defective product under the guise that it's superior to regular pressure treated material and it's backed by a 10 year warranty. Problem is they don't stand behind the warranty. The reason no lawyer wants to take on Menards is because it's a David vs. Goliath situation. It would have to be a class action lawsuit in order for them to make any money. Why don't you build a deck with Ultra-deck and see how it goes for you? Then you can talk.

• Reibel
    3 months ago

HU-254575643 Your contractor was likely a high school kid based on the installation methods used in your photos.

• Trent Stewart
    29 days ago

Beginning the process of replacing the deck surface boards on my father's deck he built fifteen years ago right after I built mine. I used treated wood for my deck I built. He had to one up me and use the Menard's composite deck product they carried back then. He said it isn't the same product as the Ultradeck brand they manufacture or carry, now.

The surface of the deck he built has turned into a safety hazard. I'm no builder, have built one deck, mine. Designed it, too. Lots of fun, but I would starve to death if I tried doing that for a living. Took, me all summer using the treated wood Menards carries. But I can and have refinished the walking surface of my treated wood deck. This composite garbage is just that, garbage turned into a business man's scam.

I'm certainly glad to read these reviews. Probably saved my now 86 year old Dad ten grand on materials that would end up disappointing me a few years from now. Let me tell you what the product Menard's carried fifteen years ago in composite decking is doing, now. The walking surface of the deck began cracking years ago. About a month ago, the many stress cracks on the walking surface of the composite deck boards began to combine. When this happens, random softness can be felt when you are walking on the deck.

That softness is the composite material giving way. Then you fall through the deck when you step. It only takes one failure of the deck surface and your foot falling through the deck to have it declared unsafe and unusable. I don't need inspectors or civil servants, experts or "professionals" to tell me so. My foot went through the surface of his deck he built the other day as the composite material gave way. I had already been examining the many cracks in the deck that were forming. I'm talking cracks completely across the treat boards His deck is maybe 14' square. There are probably seventy of these cracks and counting.

Now the composite garbage is giving way. People will be injured if it's not replaced. So, I'm looking to replace the walking surface. And I like Menards. So I research their Ultradeck product. And now I see it's the same garbage they sold fifteen years ago under another brand name.

My Dad built his deck himself as I did, mine. I didn't babysit him or even watch him once during the process. But he and I were in business together and he taught me the love of creating with my hands. I know he is handy as they come. So I know he followed the instructions when he built the deck. We come from the cast of tradesmen in every discipline. Including carpenters who build houses and decks. There are no wealthy people, here, just working men who build things to make others rich.

That said, we lost Andy Holbeck years ago in a construction accident. Don't let fire fighters convince you they can be construction workers on the side. The County of Douglas, Nebraska, did hiring Holbeck's brother in law, fire fighter Chuck May, to do some work in the elevator shaft of the courthouse years ago. And it cost Holbeck his life. I was in the IUEC briefly in Omaha. And they are jack off's, too. They claim as a union the elevator shaft is their realm and their's alone, No one is allowed there, they say, without their blessing. And they give that blessing to any jack off fire fighter union thug.

Andy Holbeck was a father, grandfather, and self employed carpenter. He built decks for a living. He wasn't a union thug blow hard, either. The fire fighters are. So, we all lost an expert carpenter and seasoned deck builder when we lost Holbeck, a man you could count on for honest answers to your simple and complicated questions. RIP

Thanks for this information on Ultraskunk. I'm going to find something else to use to replace the old man's surface deck boards. By the way, I bought my home twenty-six years ago. It was a rental house, and had been maintained and worked on by someone who scrounges through garbage and is a complete moron. The deck on my home when I bought it was made of three kinds of wood. It was obvious the guy who built it used whatever he could find or had already.

The treads of the wooden deck weren't even treated. They were 2 x 4s someone painted. After a year or two living there, they began to fail identically as the composite product is failing at my Dad's home, now. Your foot would fall through and create a hole. I would throw a piece of plywood over the hole and carry on. A half dozen plywood patches later, and began preparing to replace the deck. The posts for the rails and supporting the deck were treated 4 x 4s. Old ones, very well treated. I still use them here and there after salvaging them from the deck. Under the deck surface, well that took the cake. Four inch wide pieces of solid cedar some fourteen feet long. Each board was worth five hundred dollars. They had already been salvaged from somewhere else. Gave them to my brother.

The treated deck I built fifteen years ago is still going strong. I used Brazlillian Rosewood Oil to protect it. Had to sand and refinish the walking surface, not quite done with that. Replaced a few deck boards here and there. It's the only time I ever had Menards deliver anything to me. I didn't get to select the wood. The driver arrived, claimed his last name was the same as mine. Then told me he had a bad back and wouldn't be much help in unloading tons of wood I purchased. He laughed when he said that. I knew he was a shirker and a liar. But I didn't hire him, nor did I select the wood,. The boards I replaced years later when refinishing the walking surface of the deck were the ugly, knotted boards Menards help selected for me. But at least I didn't have to load the truck.

Thanks again.

• Trent Stewart
    28 days ago

One more thing. There aren't several, five maybe, members of the Menard's family (the actual family, not the company family) who are billionaires because they give back the money you gave them for the junk they sell. Only honest people do things like that and there are honest people that are wealthy/.

I wouldn't trust a "professional" contractor as far as I could spit. Too easy to claim to be a construction professional when you expertise was in fishing just the year before. Ten years ago my windows were failing at an ever increasing rate at my home. I knew they all needed replaced. But I didn't want to learn the necessary tricks and skills. I already know too much.

So I contemplated hiring a contractor. Never hired one for much of anything by that time. Only hired one, since. For my new roof. A man has to know his limitations, after all.

Anyway, one day while out of work in Omaha, a guy rolls into my driveway driving a black, four door, supercharged Corvette engine powered Cadillac CTS-V. I used to dream of owning one just like it. He steps out behind the wheel as I meet him in my driveway,, complimenting his ride, and he throws me the hook.

Guy wants to sell me new windows. What a coincidence, I need new windows! Told him he will have to do it for free because I have no money. But if he's that motivated. lol He tells me I don't need money for his windows. Really? Says I can use the equity in my house to get new windows. Gosh, Mister, I can? lol

Told him that's all I need, another loan or extending the pain from the current one. He then baits the hook with another flavor. I was going to ask him how they handle finding additional damage to the window frames, sills, etc. when they remove the old windows to install the new ones? ,There is always more damage to a structure than you will ever see. I was figuring they and all their kind probably just ignores the damage they find and put the new windows right over the top of it. That would be the worst thing you could do.

The best thing would be the installer would be familiar with finding the additional damage, and then make you aware of it and offer you your options in repairing it. Even that sounds expensive.

But I didn't have to ask the question. He offered me a job at one point when asking why I didn't have one after telling him I had no money. Golly, Mister, you sure are a God send! lol I didn't have to ask, because he baited the hook some more by saying his guys can have all the replacement windows installed in my home in one day. One day, he said. That tells me a bunch. Tells me they are going to go right over the top of any damage they may find without even slowing down.

What kind of workmanship can you expect from anyone who can accomplish such a task so quickly? They probably all were released from prison, recently, and are now sales and construction professionals. Pyramid Roofing's clown show is like that' Decades of television commercials, dogs with wagging tails, family photos complete with local business awards and promises of quality is all you'll see from Pyramid. But the guy behind the pride and promises is an exconvict money launderer I once called a friend of mine and knew well. I hear tell of online claims to his net worth in the hundreds of millions of dollars at present.

But he's dumb as dirt. I used to know him well. He once tried boasting to me of the great speaker purchase he just made as the two guys who sold them to him walked out the back door of his tavern. 1000 watts apiece they can handle, he said. Lifetime warranty he said. I'm a true professional and knew better. You just can't help but want to cry. What brand are they, I asked skeptically? He read the sticker label stuck on them. Every heard of that brand, I asked? No, he said. Neither have I, I added beginning to show contempt for his being an idiot. Lifetime Warranty, huh Gary? Yeah, he says proudly. Well, any idea who sells that brand of speaker? Did you get the guys who sold it to you license plate number from their van so you know where to take the speakers when you want the lifetime warranty honored?

The whole tavern listening erupts in laughter as he storms out in humiliation. That was before he went to federal prison. Pyramid Roofing is the after prison bit. The gig he played while on five years federal probation. The gig he played while also buying two taverns and a liquor store using another person because they don't issue liquor licenses to felons.; Prison bothers these clowns so much they can't wait to break the law when they get released.

Anyhow, I passed on the windows. Told him I loved the car, though. Would have passed on the new roof last year had I known the South Omaha roofing contractor whose gangland rep is well established in South Omaha was going to hire a Mexican roofing company to do the work. I could have done that myself and saved five or ten thousand dollars. In the time of white people being oppressed in America in every way, I tried hiring a white roofer to show my support for a near extinct animal. And they never step foot on my property, subbed it out to Mexican invaders from South of the Rio Grande.

Even they don't give a damn about quality. Because one day after they started, they never returned claiming they were finished. One day quality, albeit they had ten maybe even twenty kids on my roof that one day.

The Menards family isn't filthy rich because they give you your money back. They blame the contractor. Contractor blames the product. I blame you. You blame me. Democrats blame Republicans. Republicans blame Democrats. And I still don't have nor want a job. Too many union thugs out there just released from prison. lmfao

I watched fire fighter John McDonnell and roofing salesman Tim Barret try and build a fence, once. Two men, neither mentioned to the other that the gap at the bottom of the fence pickets they were installing was getting bigger as they followed the string line they set up to get it straight. At ten feet in, gap was six inches. At forty feet in, gap was over two foot and growing. Neither pretended to notice nor care until I saw it and fell over laughing.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    28 days ago

Most decking out there is crap and more new decking that is coming out is no better. Stay with Trex Transcend and it will last for a very long time without issues and the warranty is excellent when the install is done by certified installers. Been installing Transcend decking since it came out and never had a single call-back. Some jobs were revisited 10+ years later for different projects, the decking still looks as it was installed yesterday.

Good luck and happy New Year!

• Allen LeMay
    14 days ago

Hi - After reading through these messages it is clear people are feeling the performance and quality of the product is not meeting expectation. I'm having the same issue with the UltraDeck team not standing behind their product. In fact, they sent me an installation guide from 2018 that is different from the one I received at the time of purchase in July 18. A major difference is the width between joist in their guide is 12" and 16" in the insatllation guide we received. This is extremely concerning because my gut tells me 16" was too far which they later realized and made a revision to the installation guide and now reference that because most people threw their installation guide away. The other thing I'm struggling with is they are blaming the installer for not enough room / gaps between the boards. We reviewed the installation guide with our contractor and had to get additional joist for our stairs to meet the 8" requirement and the garbage product expanded, faded within 2 months, and is now cracking at the top of the boards because there is too much gap between them - 16" which was acceptable in the installation guide they provided me. They also claimed a poor saw blade because the ends are fraying but after some research talking to their employees this happens as a result of the boards expanding.

Did anything come of the conversations with the attorneys? This kills me. You have a multi-billion dollar company with loyal customers, most of which are rural America and selling lipstick on a pig. It sad to read through these knowing people used their hard earned money to purchase a product is not performing and causing so many people heart ache.

• HU-254575643
    13 days ago

Sadly, no, nothing came of the attorney referrals. Basically, I got shuffled around. No one wanted to commit to taking on this greedy multi-million dollar retailer. I’d probably have to get a group of defrauded homeowners together to make it worth their while. At this point I’m stuck watching my deck crumble bit by bit. I wish I had read this thread before installing this garbage product.

• nlw22
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Same @HU-254575643

No one wants to take accountability! I hate going outside and seeing this flawed decking. It hurts my heart so I barely use it any longer. I'd prefer to sit on my concrete driveway that sit on my $20k plus deck. Sad. #menards #ultradecking

• HU-254575643
    13 days ago

I have the same reaction. How can I entertain on this spongy deck? I can’t so the deck will never get its intended use. I kick myself emotionally everytime I look at it. Financially Menards kicked me. Damn them!