SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piscesgirl

HELP - Need advise on deck cleaning and sealing

piscesgirl
17 years ago

We just purchased our first home and the deck needs cleaning. We would like to get this in before winter as we don't want to wait another year (we are trying to get as much life out of this deck as possible).

I have done some research on the boards and understand we should first do a sodium percarbonate cleaning followed by acid pH balance and then seal the deck.

My first question is on sealers. I am leaning toward a semi-transparent oil based formulation. I have been looking at TWP, Cabots, Deckscapes (found at Sherwin Williams), or Olympic Maximum. Any suggestions on which brand is better?

Also I have found that it is hard to find the oil formulations in stores....they all seem to be water based. Is this typical?

Also we live in Pennsylvania (near Philadelphia) so I understand VOC rules will determine what products we can buy....which ones can we use?

My other questions are on timing. We are trying to do this in a weekend and rain seems to be a problem as of lately.

Can we do this in one weekend? The TWP website says to give the wood 48 hours to dry after cleaning...that's a weekend right there! Is this true of all sealers or only the TWP brand (I couldn't find information on the other brands instructions online)? Does this mean that we can't seal within 48 hours of rain as well?

Can we clean the deck one weekend and then stain another weekend? What is the maximum amount of time we should wait to seal the deck after cleaning (again, I am not sure how much rain we are going to get each weekend) and TWP also said the sealer needs 48-96 hours to dry. Does this mean it can't rain for 3-4 days straight? That might be a little hard to manage. Ugh! I hate to do all this work and then not be able to get a sealer on in time...or do seal the wood and then have a quick storm come through and wash it all away.

Lastly, are their any rules regarding temperature outside (fall is flying by so quickly)? I am curious as to when it will be too late to get this project done this year.

Comments (10)