SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vicster_gw

cleaning/sealing/staining deck and fence

vicster
15 years ago

I have a series of questions related to restoring a deck near Lake Tahoe and then a fence in the SF Bay Area:

1. We have a home in the Sierras and the deck needs some cleaning and staining. Seems that all the contractors and homeowners in the area use Superdeck/Duck's Brand but looks like folks on this forum are not fans of the product. Is it true that it will turn black after a year? We've been told by the contractors we've gotten bids from to clean/stain the deck that the best way to keep up with it is to clean with the Superdeck Cleaner and then restain every year anyway because of the sun/snow so maybe it doesn't matter? We plan on cleaning/staining each year ourselves after this major restoration job. Should we try to ask the contractor to use TWP instead?

2. We have a short redwood fence in front of our SF Bay Area ranch house (two horizontal rails turned at 45 degrees) that are 5 years old and need to be cleaned and restained. We sealed them ourselves when the fences were originally installed. There's quite a bit of dirt and white mildew. We were going to use Superdeck but now are considering TWP based on info from this forum. We are doing this ourselves and so would like the most straightforward and fastest way to get this done. I know it won't last forever but if there's something that will last another 5 years before we need to do it again, that would be great (worse case 2-3 years). I assume we use a cleaner first; do we need to use a brightener too? Is there something that is biodegradeable (Superdeck's cleaner is biodegradeable)? Is it best to use a sprayer and then backroll it?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance. Vicky.

Comment