SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
starplex

Natural Gas Plumbing Question

starplex
12 years ago

We will be putting in our first pool hopefully within 4 weeks or so. I chose to run the natural gas plumbing & save about $800 bucks. I have called the gas company (Centerpoint Energy)to upsize my gas meter as I will be installing a Hayward 350K BTU/hr heater. I realize I have 2 options to consider. With the larger meter they can set the large regulator @ 7in-wc & then I could tee off from the house connection and run 1.25" dia pipe to the heater. The second option is to have them set the regulator at 2 psig and then install 2 smaller regulators one for the house and one at the heater. This then allows me to run 0.5" pipe to the heater (approx 45 feet). I would like to go with option 2, however I haven't been able to figure out if I need to purchase and install the 2 smaller regulators (drops pressure from 2psi to 7in-wc, one @ heater & one @ house entry)or does the energy company provide them, in addition to the larger meter & larger regulator? I called their customer service & they were no help. They said I had to wait until the tech called to install to find that out, which if that is the case I won't have the regulators in time because I need to order them online, if I supply. Also, if the energy company does install them I wonder if I can get them cheaper and supply them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. PS: I have chosen the Sensus 143-80-2 regulator, if I need to supply. Obviously the 1/2" or 3/4" pipe will be much easier to work with then 1.25" or 1.5". Any help or comments is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (10)