SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eldemila

Ideas Needed for Back Deck - Over & Under It - PICS!!!

eldemila
14 years ago

We are in the process of purchasing this home (waiting for inspections later this week) If all goes well, I'd like to see what can be done with the back deck.

THe deck is about 33ft wide and a about 10ft deep. There are two doors leading out to the deck, one from the living room, and double doors from the kitchen. There is really no overhang to speak of. Also, the roof over the living room area (area in the middle) is a bit higher than the roof area over the kitchen area that's to the right of it.

What would be good to put there should we want an overhang, but not one that will reduce the natural light in the livingroom and kitchen? Would a roll-up shade be a good option? What else could we consider that's not going to cost and arm and a leg?

Also, what can I put around the bottom of the deck so you don't see underneath? Only thing I could come up with was either a hedge, which I'd rather not do - less maintenace, the better - or lattice, which I think looks cheap???

Last, they replaced the steps for some reason - was told, totally forgot, will ask again, but they are now a new wood and look bad with the contrast of the aged wood. I've never had a wood deck before, so any suggestions on what to do to make it look better and uniformed would be greatly appreciated as well.

The raised roof area in the middle with two windows on each side of the door that leads out is the living room

{{!gwi}}

The two white doors lead out from the kitchen

{{!gwi}}

One of my realtors, peeking out the kitchen door

{{!gwi}}

Deck doesn't go full length of house

{{!gwi}}

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!!!!

Comment (1)