SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imtoni

I finally got to use my CPR training, but

Toni S
14 years ago

I never thought it would be on my dog! Our new pup Lexi and I were out feeding my Labrador in the garden shed. The lab eats from her bowl that sits in a dresser drawer about a foot off the ground. That way my old Bishon, Cassidy, doesn't eat the big dogs food. Works great. On my way back into the house I feel Lexi bump on my heal and fling off to the side. I immediatly wonder why she looks so odd and pick her up. She's sprawled out like

Super Man in flight and I instantly think I somehow broke her leg! Oddly though she isn't breathing either. Broken leg and not breathing don't really go together and I'm doing triage on my little girl. She is out like a dead bird in my hand a few moments later. Her poor little head is back and her tongue is sticking out to the side. Crap, I killed her I'm thinking, while frantically trying to assess what is really happening. I get a good grip on her and lean her head down because WHO KNOWS WHY, all I know is if she can't breath and if there is something in there, I want it out. She's still limp. I flip her over and do mouth to mouth. She needs something and surprisingly that seems to revive her after a two sucsessful and one not so sucsessful breath. I have big lungs hers are so tiny. I can only hope I didn't hurt her. There seems to be endless questions to what has happened this morning. Driving to the vets about two miles away, with Lexi wrapped in a blanket sitting on my lap she starts to vomit dog food and a few chunks of large dog food. A clue to her choking at least. - Moving on in the story, it seems she swallowed some big food, we believe anyway. Some of it not easily retrievable although the vet did get alot of it. She might have some nervous system problem too but it's to early to tell for sure. My vet is taking her home tonight. For once I hope Lexi cries her lonsome little heart out at 3:30 am like she does for me and bites everyones toes too. If she seems normal, then she can come back home Friday. And if she has central nervous system problems, I'll have to deal with that. Poor little babe, weighs only 2.4 lbs and as sweet as they come. What a helpless feeling this is.

Sorry to ramble on . I know there are so many dog lovers here and I feel like she really needs some good thoughts in her recovery. I could use a hug and plan on getting some tonight.

Oh,If that wasn't bad enough, the Lab was sprayed by a skunk about mid morning. She got one of several baths. Not a good day for the dogs.

Comments (16)