SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

what do you use for a sewing table?

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

Hi all. I'm just wondering what a good thing to use for a sewing table is. I have a unique situation, so would like some suggestions if you ahve any. I have a small one bedroom apartment, so I can't have a dedicated sewing room. Right now, the vintage machine is on a small folding table (the kind you eat and watch TV on, with the scissor style legs) in the corner. It's very uncomfortable to use like that. The modern machine is on my desk, which is where it has been since I bought it last September. I'd like my desk back though! I just want a nice work space were I can put both machines and still have room to work. I don't want to put them away, I want to leave them out all the time (the old one is too pretty to hide and the new one I use too much to put away). I have seen a lot of sewing tables that are shaped like an L. I couldn't have one of those because it would block my closet door in the only space I have available. I need something that is straight, long and not too deep, and open underneath. The old folding tables like the used to have at church in the fellowship hall when I grew up come to mind. I want to put the machines side by side so I can use them easily. Right now, I have to iron in the living room. Then, when I cut, I have to put the rotary cutter mat on the portable dishwasher to use it. Then decide which hole I want to cram myself in depending on which machine I want to use. There has got to be a better way! What is a good length of table I should look for to have two sewing machines side by side and still have room for a pin cushion and shears and all that stuff?

I've looked at Joanne's and Ikea and didn't find anything. I really don't know what to call what I'm looking for! I'd appreciate any suggestions as to where to look or what to look for!

Thanks

Comments (20)