SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacksonta

IPE Deck - 1 year later - finish questions

jsonta
16 years ago

I built an IPE deck last summer/fall with the help of this forum. What a tremendous resource this has been. Bought the wood, screws, etc. from George at East Teak - fantastic service. Used the RAD cleaner and brightener from Ken - worked great. And thanks to John Hyatt for all the advice I gleaned from his posts (I think I owe him a truckload of Tecate). Used the black Deckorator balusters. Finally, used TWP 116 to finish the deck early last fall and it looked great. I can't count all the compliments we received (e.g. "looks like fine furniture", "what kind of wood is THAT?", etc.)

We live in Chicago - cold, harsh winters and hot, humid summers. Almost a year later, I need to refinish the deck and I hope someone can help answer a couple of questions.

The deck faces north, so the area further from the house gets more sun and the finish there has faded - some areas have already turned grey. The area close to the house has also faded, but not nearly as much. The finish on the top rails (5/4 x 6) is gone as well. The only areas that have held up are the 4x4 IPE posts and the subrails (2x4) under the top rail.

1) Anyone else have this issue with TWP?

2) If I refinish with TWP, when I clean and brighten using RAD again, will it leave a consistent look considering the unevenness of the current finish? Or do I have to sand first?

3) Do I have to protect the posts and railings if I use RAD and don't want to mess with those in the refinishing process?

4) Just read some posts about Woodzotic. If I want to go that route, would just using RAD be enough to prepare everything (faded deck and toprail, perfectly good posts and subrail) for this finish?

Any other comments/recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks again to all who post on these forums.

Jack

Comments (3)