SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djheater

Need Ideas on how to save this abomination. Deck Maintenance

djheater
17 years ago

Let me preface by saying my budget for this is under $500 So, no Ipe, no composite, no flagstone, etc. I know it seems ridiculous and impossible, but I'm asking you to suspend disbelieif and engage in creative thinking to suggest solutions. That being said, when we get some positive cash flow in 3-5 years, we'll probably rip this out and replace it with something better.

We moved in 2 years ago and never touched the deck, it was already in a sad state and has continued to deteriorate.

I'm ready to tackle some life support steps to try to keep it together for up to five years, til we can really take care of it.

My thoughts have been:

Replace the damaged boards (you can see my marks picking out the worst) it's about 40% I'd say

Sand (floor sander with 80 then 100)

Use the Restore-a-deck so many have mentioned here

Then stain dark to blend.

I realize it would still be noticeable but it wouldn't be the abomination it currently is....

The more I look at it, I wonder if it's necessary to replace the boards... maybe just replace screws on what's there, and get it level, go heavy on the sanding, use the restore a deck for the railings, then stain....

All thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Comments (6)