SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weirdcatlady

Old cypress deck needs repair. Trex? YellaWood? Ideas?

3 years ago

Our old waterfront home was built over 40 years ago, and made entirely of cypress. Cypress siding, trim, decking, even the deck wall is cypress clad. The only reputable cypress dealer I can find (two states away from me) says that cypress decking boards would never hold up now – – something about it wouldn’t be old growth, or it would have too many knots in it. I can’t quite recall, but he said it just wasn’t possible to get what we have.

So I looked into going with something like Trex. But the old deck is on 24“ joists, and Trex requires 16”. My contractor says all the pressure-treated yellow pine he can get is junk nowadays, and will begin to fail in 5-10 years. He complains that old fashioned CCA is no longer made, whatever that is, and that we might need to order something exotic.

Our local Trex dealer suggested YellaWood, which he says is superior to regular yellow pine. Our contractor says he is aware of it, but has never used it. It also isn’t easily available in our rural, mountainous area. We pulled a couple of boards up early in the summer, and the joists look good. We can double up the joists and go back to the idea of Trex, but it will look messy from underneath, where it covers a substantial ground level patio. And I honestly don’t love the idea of pairing a manmade material with such an organic looking home.

I would appreciate any advice on any of these products. And I would especially appreciate any other ideas for what we might use. I don’t want to say money is not an object, but I don’t want to waste it. I just want a nice wooden deck floor similar to what I have now. Many thanks.

Comments (17)