SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgmcinnis_gw

Staining my pool.... on purpose!!

jgmcinnis
15 years ago

I've got a 10-year old gunite pool that has some construction issues as it was built by some pool employees as a "weekend" job. Basically, the gunite is in good shape, but has some bumpy spots and a few thinner spots also. I just can't resurface at this point, and any

paint-like product scares me as a decision that there is no turning back from, and added costs when it is resurfacing time ultimately.

The surface has a good bit of mottling and discoloration that chlorine will not remove. Currently, I have drained the pool and am planning an acid wash and some diamond-pad polishing to knock down some rough areas that cut up the kid's feet. I've experimented with the acid wash in a few areas and it makes a great difference, but doesn't remove the discolorations completely.

My question is this: is there no "concrete stain"-like product that I could apply to the gunite to give it some color (like blue). Even if the stain took differently in different areas, variations of blue would look far superior to the white/off-white/brown coloration I have now. I know that acid stains for concrete floors are always sealed, which would clearly not hold up in a pool, but surely there is something that would "stain" the gunite to help conceal the gunite "stains". It seems like a stain-like product would not add too much trouble when resurfacing is truly necessary. Any ideas / thoughts appreciated.

Comments (3)