SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Memo to Canadians: concern re Big Bank(s) offshoring IT?

joyfulguy
11 years ago

Canada has six large, nationwide banks, and the largest has just laid off many of their IT workers, as of month-end.

Chairman of our Church Council was in IT, not for a long period, and was recently laid off, as they are changing their work patterns, but many of the employees near him are being rejigged, but retained.

The one to which I originally referred had a personnel finder company that specializes in offshore recruiting (is it Indian?) to find a bunch of replacements, and they're bringing them here, for a couple of years, I think, to train them, then they're to return home to India to do that work for this Canadian big bank, over there.

Offshore workers are to be brought in only if they can't find Canadians to do the jobs, so there's something of a stink being raised.

At a province-wide phone-in today, another man said that they've been doing that at another of the Big Six (a different one) for some time.

Some clients have said that they're going to remove their account(s).

My suggestion, if you may be interested in following a similar path, is that you check out dealing with a credit union, to see whether they can take care of your needs.

They are mainly smaller, and community-based, so have more loyalty to their community, their employees, and to service above dollars.

Good wishes as you decide on your future activities.

ole joyful

Comments (2)