SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
surveymom

Which species hardwood floor? opinions

surveymom
15 years ago

I am looking at putting a hardwood floor in our kitchen that extends into both the dining room and the family room. My style tastes are pretty transitional with a lean towards Arts and Crafts. Our cabinets will be a medium brown/red quarter sawn white oak in a Shaker style. I had thought about the floor being red oak with no stain and a Waterlox finish.

After looking around I think I'm going to want more of a contrast between the cabinets and the floor, especially with the ambering that the Waterlox will do to the floor. (I'm pretty set on using Waterlox with whatever hardwood we go with)

Colorwise, unstained maple is more what I'd like to go for, but I've always associated maple floors with a contemporary look. I've not had much luck finding pictures of light maple floors, and none with the kind of cabinets I'm looking at. Would using #1 or #2 common grade maple give me a less contemporary look and still give me the light color? Could I use select maple and still pull off the Arts and Crafts leaning kitchen?

If not maple, do you have other suggestions as to wood species?

Comments (15)